Farmoor Reports & Info.

Jane@Farmoor

Farmoor Report: 6 Sept 08

Hi folks, contrary to popular belief, we haven't all died - in fact seems most people are too busy fishing or off on hols to post.

I read all your posts and I encourage the Rangers at Farmoor to do the same, however I can't reply on behalf of Thames Water as the "independent" site I run is exactly that and has nothing to do with TW.

The fishing's been really good evidently on both Farmoor I and II. Unfortunately I haven't been fishing for over a month and haven't had much time to do the updates on the site due to a new job. However if anyone else would like to volunteer to post the Fishing Reports every week on the site, please do let me know - input and help is always welcome.

Any way, enough chat - brief fishing summary below:

NEW RECORD: Farmoor II, 1st September 08, 9lb 7oz Rainbow to Mick Russell - fast sink line, green/black wooley bug...r (sorry the automatic bad language detection on the forum won't allow me to use this word!), cast 30yds and retrieved quickly through the top few feet. :)

Farmoor II
Rod Average: over 3
Fly: bit of everything seems to be working at the moment, buzzers, diawl bachs, crunchers, fry imitations, muddlers, crunchers etc
Fish just under the surface mostly and some off the top.

Farmoor I
Rod Average: 4
Fly: again lots of different patterns are working well.
Fish taking on the surface more than FII.
This water still seems to be best kept secret around - very under utilised by anglers.

Jane@Farmoor

Fishing Report - 19 Sept (by Farmoor Rangers)

Copy of report posted by Rangers on www.farmoor-reservoir.com

Friday 19 September

Farmoor II
Water: Levels low and some heavy green Algae around the edge in places though still many clear spots
Boats: fishing very well, please try to book boats in advance - we had waiting list of 6 last weekend!
Bank: not as good as boats, but still good, fish in top 3rd of water.
Note: 700 steelheads stocked into F2 yesterday (it will be difficult to tell the difference between the rainbow and steelheads in their present condition, they will only show their change in colour as they get older - all from Trafalgar Fisheries)

Farmoor I - catch & release
Water: levels low and also some green algae growth around the edge. Many clear areas though.
Bank: still fishing very well with 2 more double figure rainbows being caught this week.

IMPORTANT:
The fishing car parks have all been resurfaced, please ensure that you use them. Cars parked on the grass or in the disabled parking bays (except those with disabled badges) will be asked to move immediately. Car Park 4, the last one at the top of the causeway, is now for Farmoor 1 fishermen only. We appreciate your co-operation in this, thank you.

JayP

Out of interest Roy what did you catch on as I may be going to Farmoor I myself this coming Tuesday?

royvs

Out of interest Roy what did you catch on as I may be going to Farmoor I myself this coming Tuesday?

Jay,

Blood worm and French Partrige. The FP was on the dropper and that was what was getting smashed. One "smash" was on a double hook up..pandemonium :)

There was another chap using lures but he didn't seem to be having much luck..it seems to me that they prefer imitative patterns fished slow.

dogtanian

Farmoor I, Catch and Release

It's not bad....

Farmoor.jpg

Last edited:

Jane@Farmoor

Fishing Report 3 Oct

Friday 3rd October

Farmoor II
Fishing well on both bank and boat, though boat slightly outfishing bank at the moment. Starting to take on Minkies.
Rod average 2.5

Famoor I
"Fishing its socks off" were the comments given to me. Excellent late afternoon and evening rises.
Rod average 4-5

See the links page on www.farmoor-reservoir.com for the up to date weather forecasts from the MET office.
JW

Jane@Farmoor

Farmoor Ranger's Fishing Report

Posted on behalf of the Farmoor Rangers

Fishing Report: Wednesday 8th October

General News:
Another very busy day today, we’re attracting lots of new anglers to the fishery from all over the country as news spreads of the quality of fishing here.

The new stocking policy introduced early this year seems to be paying dividends and we’re continually being told how surprised you are at the quality of the fish. 4-5lb, good quality, hard fighting, full tail, fin perfect fish are an everyday occurrence on Farmoor II.

Hope you’ve seen the recent reviews in Total FlyFisher, with other reviews due out in the coming weeks in Trout & Salmon and Trout Fisherman.

Farmoor II
Water: quality good/clear
Patterns: at this time of year many patterns are proving successful.
Bank – you’ll still find buzzer hatches coming off the water, so straight line small black buzzer set-up still working. Also small black booby at all depths and as there are plenty of fry about, try out minkies, pearly pheasant tail nymphs and small lures.
Boat – again plenty of patterns working, buzzers just below the surface, small emergers and some fantastic dry fly sport too. Many of the boats on sporting tickets (catch & release) have had up to 30 fish!
Rod Av: 3.5+

Farmoor I
We still can’t understand why more of you aren’t fishing this water? £17.50 for a day of fantastic fishing is good value for money, don’t you agree? It’s had some outstanding reviews in the press and on the fly-fishing forums. Average size is 3lb-10lb, fantastic quality grown on fish, hard fighting fish and we’re confident there are some real monsters lurking in the depths (some of the browns are over 25 years old).

Water: quality good/clear
Patterns: again variety of patterns are working, still taking small buzzers, nymphs and small lures. In the bright conditions like today, try an intermediate or slow sink line (Di3)
Rod Av: 5+

EF DUCK

Hi All, just to give you an update!!
The RAF fished a Bank Match on Farmoor 2 on Monday 06 Oct from 10.00 till 18.00. Wind was S/SW slight and the Air Temp was about 15 C.
14 Anglers had 53 fish for a total weight of 111lb and 11oz.
Rod Ave 3.78, weight ave 2lb and 1 oz.
The winning team (of two) had 15 fish for 32lbs and the winning individual bag was 8 fish for 16 and half pounds biggest fish was 3lb dead!!
Boobies, minkies and some dries accounted, and the fisah were willing to take at varying depths, varying from hard on the bottom, slow retrieve, to right in the surface. Succesful colours mainly black/dark.
A great days fishing, and as always top quality fish and very helpful staff!!
Brill!

notanothersage

Farmoor 1 Today (17/10/08)

Two of us fished F1 today and had 19 fish between us up to 5.25lbs. It was excellent fishing with the usual peaks and troughs. Just keep moving, every time I moved I hit a fish. Fish taking heavy hook bloodworm on the point 10ft down to red Diawl bachs 4-5ft down. Most of these fish are line strippers and incredibly fit. Check your knot from flyline to backing! and don't use anything less than 7lbs. It's interesting that not one of the fish we caught was tagged, presumably the 4-5lbs fish we caught have been in a while, they are sleek, full tailed and silver, almost Grisle-like. I can;t think of any better value for money at the moment. * fished there today and there were more on F2??? Is that because people want fish for the pot?

gadusmorhua

conditions

Two of us fished F1 today and had 19 fish between us up to 5.25lbs. It was excellent fishing with the usual peaks and troughs. Just keep moving, every time I moved I hit a fish. Fish taking heavy hook bloodworm on the point 10ft down to red Diawl bachs 4-5ft down. Most of these fish are line strippers and incredibly fit. Check your knot from flyline to backing! and don't use anything less than 7lbs. It's interesting that not one of the fish we caught was tagged, presumably the 4-5lbs fish we caught have been in a while, they are sleek, full tailed and silver, almost Grisle-like. I can;t think of any better value for money at the moment. * fished there today and there were more on F2??? Is that because people want fish for the pot?

I can't understand why more people choose FII either.What are the water conditions, and level? I have an Anglian season ticket but am often tempted by the fantastic quality of the fish there.
Thanks,
Gads

Rivereden

Swimming anyone

I heard a nasty rumour about people diving off the inlet tower on Farmoor 2 and now the fishery manager is on gardening leave................

Anyone heard the same?:eek:

Last edited:

Latest posts