Farmoor Reservoir : has anyone got current intel regarding the fishing?

vital

Using up one of the WTT auction lots next week: a day for two on Farmoor, and would appreciate any current advice,
Safe!

BobP

According to the latest "buzz" the place is getting over its summer doldrums. Some good browns being caught in Farmoor 1. The fish are not far down. I intend giving it a go, probably Tuesday, weather permitting.

loxie

There has been a resumption of stocking including a large number of exceptional triploid browns, some of the best I've seen.

BobP

I was using a 12' leader instead of my usual 18'+. The point fly had a 2.5mm tungsten bead. A dropper about 6' up & might as well not have bothered with it.

The reason for the shorter leader was the fact that the water was extremely clear and very calm which meant that the buzzer would get down to depth quickly rather than be pulled to one side or the other by the surface drift. The idea was get the fly down to depth where the bottom went dark, about 12 metres out.

Having cast out beyond what I hoped - turned out to be - the taking zone it was then a dead slow retrieve. The indicator just slid under. 12 takes and 10 fish of which I felt only two in the hand.

I reckon the point fly was getting down around 8-9'. Had there been a breeze drifting sideways I'd have gone out to my usual 18' and may have bumped up the tungsten to 2.8mm.

I might manage another trip before the end of the month, but after that the guiding work goes manic on the rivers, plus I have taken a half-rod on the top Kennet fishery which means one day a week I WILL fish the river.

Keep tying that motorbike. I have yet to pluck up the nerve to try it!

8ft4wt

Thanks for the detailed reply - all sounds very promising. I haven't picked up a rod since October, so will try to get over to Farmoor today or tomorrow. Certainly hope this year will be better than last: had a dreadful season - but it was, of course, a very strange year.

I'm still tying & using "that" fly, but it didn't get many outings to F1 last year - I don't think I was present for a single "proper" evening rise all summer... Chub like it though!

Thanks again.