Farmoor

JCP

Well Doug ''Good Things Come To Those Who Wait'' reads like a real red letter session.To quote ZZ Top ''you need legs and know how to use them'' well done mate.No kisses from Pino I hope.:p

tenet

Well Doug ''Good Things Come To Those Who Wait'' reads like a real red letter session.To quote ZZ Top ''you need legs and know how to use them'' well done mate.No kisses from Pino I hope.:p
He stayed at the other end of the boat but you know what Italians are like - he kissed the 4.5lber instead.;)

tbs

Great day afloat on Farmoor, first boats out post lockdown. We had loads of fish to our dry and wet size 12 hoppers being taken down to the backing numerous times.
One of the best of the bunch.
View attachment 28261
Looks like you had a great time. We have been going at least once a fortnight since Farmoor opened up again and the fishing has been second to none with fish quality as good as you will find anywhere in the country.
I had family commitments yesterday so couldn’t go but my pal went and fished off the bank finishing with 14 to the net, including a fish of just over 8lb.
It really is worth a visit and as it has been said, the staff are great and work hard to keep the place running so well and deserve our support.
Tight Lines
Ian 🙂

Maruta

Didn't realise farmoor is only 90 minutes up the road from me. Never fished a venue of this size before and it seems quite intimidating.
That being said, I would like to make the trip soon.
I intend to fish from the bank with a 7wt. I honestly have no idea of the best approach so any pointers would be hugely appreciated. I've got a few buzzers, lures, large dries and even a blob someone gave me!

tbs

Didn't realise farmoor is only 90 minutes up the road from me. Never fished a venue of this size before and it seems quite intimidating.
That being said, I would like to make the trip soon.
I intend to fish from the bank with a 7wt. I honestly have no idea of the best approach so any pointers would be hugely appreciated. I've got a few buzzers, lures, large dries and even a blob someone gave me!
As far as I know a lot of the sport has been on buzzers high up in the water generally. Most of the fish have been coming fairly close in with a lot of takes about 30 - 40 ft out from the bank.
A pal of mine went back end of last week and caught his using a very small mini booby on the point holding everything up just under the surface with two black holographic buzzers fishing high in the water. He found Letting everything come around on the wind and just mending and keeping in touch with the line gave him the best results.
However there is no substitute on the day for searching the depths though.
I am by no means an expert and hopefully BobP will see your post, as he is a local expert and offers better up to date advice for you than I ever could, nevertheless I hope my reply may help.
Tight Lines
Ian 🙂👍

Last edited:

Maruta

Many thanks! Should be interesting trying to throw more than one fly out.

As far as I know a lot of the sport has been on buzzers high up in the water generally. Most of the fish have been coming fairly close in with a lot of takes about 30 - 40 ft out from the bank.
A pal of mine went back end of last week and caught his using a very small mini booby on the point holding everything up just under the surface with two black holographic buzzers fishing high in the water. He found Letting everything come around on the wind and just mending and keeping in touch with the line gave him the best results.
However there is no substitute on the day for searching the depths though.
I am by no means an expert and hopefully BobP will see your post, as he is a local expert and offers better up to date advice for you than I ever could, nevertheless I hope my reply may help.
Tight Lines
Ian 🙂👍

tbs

Don’t be reticent in speaking to the Rangers or Regulars up there. It is a very friendly fishery and most people are very helpful.
As I say look out for posts from BobP who is a very knowledgable guy and always gives great advice on fishing Farmoor.
Dont be daunted by its size. BobP‘s advice to me once was, don’t cast too far out because if you do, you will be wasting fishing time waiting for the fly to comeback into the fishing zone, which was only about 30 ft out from the bank and on the particular day I went up his advice was spot on. So go with open mind and enjoy the day and the challenges that Farmoor can throw up.
I guarantee that when you hook into the fish there, you will be booking up for some more because they are some of the hardest fighting and quality fish that you will come across.
It takes me usually on good run, just over two hours each way if I get on the Road early (06:00 hrs), but it is always worth it.
I hope you have a great day and get into a few of those great fish.
I don’t know what BobP advice would be, but I would suggest you don’t fish with under 8lb leader if you are a clumsy fisherman like me because the takes are savage and they will snap you up in an instant.

Tight Lines

Ian🙂👍

Last edited:

tenet

Concur with everything tbs has said. Would currently recommend that your nymphs have some flash in them - perhaps some wet shipmans with a holographic rib or crunchers with a holo collar. My last foray was from a boat and virtually all our fish came to either wet hoppers with a flash rib or crunchers. on a floating line whilst drifting into the causeway. Note that you have to pre book on the telephone and pay using a cc.
Afloat again on Wednesday so will report back.

Last edited:

BobP

As Ian has said, do not fish too light. I have upped my leaders to 9.9lb Gigafish Ultra which at 0.20mm gives me a margin of safety while still being a thin line. Because the Farmoor as in essence two long dam walls the trout patrol along them and especially so when there are the two banks of algal weedgrowth growing on the concrete, one about 7 yards out and one a couple of yards further. This is a trouty version of a motorway and holds plenty of food. Where there's weed there's food and where there's food there's fish. I try to keep my flies coming across this at an angle which maximises the time they are in trout territory.

Because of the back and forth patrolling of the fish it follows that if a fish is travelling away from you when he spots your flies all he does is to accelerate a bit and grab the fly in passing. The result is very often a brutal take which can, and does, result in a broken leader. So, be sure of your knots and try to keep on your toes for that one who tries to pull you in with him.

All being well I'm going to try for Wednesday. I haven't fished the place for a few weeks so it's about time to give it another go.

tbs

Thanks for your tips and guidance Bob it is always appreciated and I am sure more informative than my bodge it and scarper methods.
I was fishing my syndicate fishery in the other day and wish that the fish would fight even half as hard as the Farmoor fish.
My mate got quite embarrassed saying that he thought he had a double hook up in front of the ranger, but when he got it in it was a fish just over 3lb but boy didn’t it go.
Bit of a late decision but hoping to go tomorrow, but don’t worry, Im sure we will leave some in there for you.🙂

shropshire_lad

Don't forget to post up your results even if you blank!;) Have a good one.
Particularly if you blank, it will make me feel better :ROFLMAO:

....also, if you catch a fish with one of Bob's flies in its mouth and an 18' leader attached to a braided loop and possibly a bit of fly line it's mine. Estimated at 3-5 lb so it's probably about 2 lb max :ROFLMAO:

shropshire_lad

Serious question. Farmoor 1 is C&R, Farmoor 2 catch and kill. Given I am now on a mission to "crack" Farmoor having had a few "almost" sessions there over the years would the seasoned Farmoor anglers here rate one over the other for just getting to grips with things and catching fish? When I was there last week on Farmoor 2 it was quite busy - does Farmoor 1 tend to be quieter? Any advice welcome.

BobP

shropshire lad

The whole Farmoor complex is C & R. F1 was taken back into TW's management about 10 or 12 years ago and was then designated a C& R only water while F2 remained as Catch & Kill. About 4 years ago the policy changed due to popular demand and while you can still take fish from F2 you can also C & R and switch from F1 to F2 at will. F1 is still solely C & R. F1 is generally quieter than F2 due to the slightly lower stocking policy, but there are still plenty of fish to go at. Oddly enough, although they are separated by only about 20' of causeway the two waters can often fish totally differently.

I like them both and always drive round before deciding which one I'm going to fish to check on the wind, the clarity, whether I see fish moving or see rods bent.

Maruta

Thank you BobP and to everyone else! Looks like I've got some shopping to do. Most of my leaders/leader material is quite light but I do have some rio tippet from 2lb up to 10lb test.
This style of fishing usually requires a much longer leader right? The most I've chucked is probably 10ft.
Typically, what sort of leader length should I be fishing with?
As for flies: A single lure on the sink tip? A large dry like a daddy and a buzzer on the dropper? Honestly don't think I could manage more than 2 flies, especially if long leaders are involved.
I tied up a few scruffy buzzers and some dumbell eyed cats whiskers today to add to my rather sparse collection of stillwater flies, bloodworm etc.
Hopefully got most bases covered but will likely buy some crunchers before I go.
Getting quite excited about this trip now!
Thanks again!

shropshire_lad

Bob will advise you and we may even get feedback from tbs on his trip today.

Like you Maruta I'm finding my way there. I believe the conventional wisdom is a leader of around 18' if you can manage it. When I went last week I just fished with a single fly (nymph). That's because I wanted to keep things simple to start. If you can manage it, one dropper is probably a good idea.

No real need for lures as such, nymphs seem to be the order of the day. Likewise, a floating line is all that's required, no need for a sink tip as such.

The experts will no doubt put me right. Hoping to maybe head up there later in the week myself.

BobP

maruta

It depends a lot on what the fish are doing. Early season and they will be deep and by that I mean about 10' down but not too far out from the bank. I am much more keen on light floating lines than I am on the heavy stuff so it's a WF5 and 18' of leader to get the point fly down to the fish.

This time of year the fish are going to be higher in the water and therefore the 18' leader is not strictly necessary, though I do it purely because it is my default position. If you are only using two flies then 12' should be OK. Don't think about how long your leader is when fishing; where the flyline goes, the leader is sure to follow and if it doesn't land dead straight it will soon straighten out in the water.

Fish across the breeze where it is comfortable for you. The fish are travelling along parallel to the bank, more or less, and swimming upwind, again, more or less. What you want is for your flies to be crossing their track. Fishing across the breeze will ensure that the line is coming round in a nice curve. All you have to do is to keep in contact. Don't lift off too soon. If you lift off with 5 yards of flyline, don't forget that you've still got another 4 yards of leader out there and that point fly is now right in the killing zone.

A cruncher on the dropper should be fine with a slimmer fly on the point. This will help with the turnover of the leader. There may well be some fry about art this time of year, so a silver thorax pheasant tail is a fair bet. In your shoes I'd be wary about dumbell eyed flies unless you are really comfortable casting them. Also worth using is a slim damselfly larva pattern, This often goes down well and that could benefit from dumbell eyes, but not too big. The sort of chain eyes you get on the bathroom sink plug. Let it sink on landing for 10 seconds or so, as fish will take this on the drop. After that a slow Figure 8 retrieve is all you need.

I'm up there tomorrow and according to reports it's fishing quite well. It is forecast rain, so that will keep the bulk of the walkers away.