Fastish 9' #4 For Nymphs and Wets

ticklematackle

I'm looking for the above to fish wets and nymphs on a couple of spate rivers. I was using a sage vps this season in the same configuration but it was a little soft for the wets. What do you guys use for these styles of fishing? I've tried a 10' but it was just to long for me and i have also thought about going for a medium action #5 in the same length. Jon

craigie

9ft 4wt

hi mate,get yourself a 9ft 4wt streamflex for around £100,great wee river rod for the price:)

royvs

I would suggest a 9ft. #5 XP, if you can find one. I have one and for me, it is a cracking rod.

That leads me on to suggest, maybe, a new VXP in the same configuration but I haven't tried one. Good value, tho', I should think.

ticklematackle

I've tried the streamflexes before and just cannot like them i'm afraid. They cast o.k.but are a bit soul less, if that makes any sense.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

I would suggest a 9ft. #5 XP, if you can find one. I have one and for me, it is a cracking rod.

That leads me on to suggest, maybe, a new VXP in the same configuration but I haven't tried one. Good value, tho', I should think.

The #4 xp is on the shortlist but i'll more likely turn up some hens teeth.
Not having had a chance to use a Scott or St croix is there anything in their ranges that would compare?

craigie

9ft 4wt

i had one of those xp's now i have a zxl:D

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o

royvs

i had one of those xp's now i have a zxl:D

.....and I'm still a very happy Bunny :D

Quite like the look of that VXP, tho' but I reckon 50% of retail is about right for a second user rod, it's where they take the biggest hit.

royvs

Tell you what, I've never tried an X-Flite but Grommit has one in the Classifieds 9ft. #4 4 piece for £95 incl. delivery.

At that price it must be worth a blind punt.

brian_mcg

I'm looking for the above to fish wets and nymphs on a couple of spate rivers. I was using a sage vps this season in the same configuration but it was a little soft for the wets. What do you guys use for these styles of fishing? I've tried a 10' but it was just to long for me and i have also thought about going for a medium action #5 in the same length. Jon

Hi Jon I had a xp 9ft4# and sold it The Scott s4 9ft 4# is a peach of a rod better than the the xp imo. But i have the 9ft 5# xp and imo it is better than the Scott s4 9ft 5#.
What about a Hardy Angel te 5#? Or the Guideline Fario is another good choice.
If you want a chuck with any of them give me a call.

Brian

ticklematackle

Hi Jon I had a xp 9ft4# and sold it The Scott s4 9ft 4# is a peach of a rod better than the the xp imo. But i have the 9ft 5# xp and imo it is better than the Scott s4 9ft 5#.
What about a Hardy Angel te 5#? Or the Guideline Fario is another good choice.
If you want a chuck with any of them give me a call.

Brian

Hi Brian hows it going. I'm erring toward the Scott now i've read a few reviews (i had a chuck with one of Bobs Scott rods at the casting club he had a cortland silk on it not sure if it was the S4 was impressed with that one) .The fario was a beautiful rod but wanting to move away from the soft action towards something fast but foriving. You know i like the light line rods thats why i'm leaning towards the #4's. Thank you for the offer is the casting club on over the winter?.

Last edited:

andreb

I prefer a medium action rod, with a soft tip and a strong middle section for nymphing and wet fly applications. the soft tip allows for better bite detrection, and the stronger middle section, for easier line mending in strong currents. My ideal rod for this, is a Sage 99, in 4wt.

brian_mcg

Hi Jon

The rod Bob had was a Scott S4 9ft 4#.
I will be doing the Casting Club on Sunday Mornings.
I am currently mucking about with the double hander trying to get my Salmon Casting Sorted:confused:
Speak to you soon

Brian

ticklematackle

Hi Jon

The rod Bob had was a Scott S4 9ft 4#.
I will be doing the Casting Club on Sunday Mornings.
I am currently mucking about with the double hander trying to get my Salmon Casting Sorted:confused:Speak to you soon

Brian

What, is a full line out not enough for you?:whistle:

brian_mcg

Yes Jon it is. But I had a Masterclass from Philip Maher an Instructor from Ireland and he has changed everything about my Casting. So it's back to the drawing board over the winter:(

Brian