Favourite dubbing for river flies.

barden neil

I’m about to re stock my fly tying kit after a few years of not tying much at all . Now I’ve a bit more time on my hands I feel ready to get back into it again. I really only river fish nowadays and am looking for good quality natural colours of dubbing. The selection seems infinite so i wondered what your favourites were and for what reason? Looking for materials for both nymphs and dries.

boisker

Pretty much an endless choice....
but for dry fly my most used would be hareline superfine....
I use lathkill squirrel dub a lot for nymphs... partic like it in natural for thorax/legs..

Whinging pom

I like natural colours
I have a ground Squirrel pelt . Moles skin, Hares mask and a snow boot from an arctic hare, and few other odds and sods ( that I rarely find use for), mostly bought in remainders boxes at fly tying fares and tackle shops.
An old cheap and cheerful spinning blade coffee bean grinder for a fiver from a charity shop is the workhorse .

A pinch of whatever combination I’m trying create the shade of in the grinder. A quick wiz up and really light fluffy dubbing of what ever shade you like results. Lovely to work with .

Scotty90

Peacock ice dubbing is excellent for thoraxes on tungsten nymphs. I like seals fur for dries, fox squirrel, andrews scruffy there are so many.

barden neil

Thanks guys, Andrew’s scruffy seems to be popular, I’ll have a look , like the idea of homemade mixed dubbings too but the wife gets twitchy when their are too many dead animals laying around!!

kevinmac

Traditional Irish Dubbing by Frankie McPhillips,box no.1has the best natural colour selection for river flies.

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
The ones I use most tend to be squirrel (which has all but replaced hares ear for me), mole for very small flies, superfine (I think waspi?), beaver and seal. I tend to mix colours and if your interested in that then the dubbing dispenser blocks are really good, just keep an eye on what's going down fast and buy those colours in bigger bags.

Steve

Rhithrogena

A briiliant fur is the under-fur from a Raccoon Dog pelt:

I have seen the same stuff on loads of high-street gloves, hats, ear-muffs, scarves, coat hoods etc. I am sure most people think it's fake fur, and when they realise it isn't, it's off to the charity shop with it....
The product of a nasty fur-farm industry, I definitely don't condone buying new, but don't think the existing fur should be wasted, either.
Anyhow, I have a piece and it is great stuff for dubbing.

Scotty Mitchell

The question is too broad, have a look at the food the fish are eating and decide on your material accordingly.
For example I do well with an all black nymph on one river I fish, but on another I won’t get much action, due to the abundance or not of certain insects.

BobP

Hare's fur takes a lot of beating. Not the mask which I haven't used for 50 years, but the body fur. I trim off the top fur - the nice gold coloured outer hairs - with a pair of scissors and whizz it up in a coffee grinder. In about 20 seconds there is enough ready-to-dub hares fur to last a very long time depending upon your use-up rate. Don't find many trout or grayling refusing that.

shortcircuit

This is a broad question! I will just list what I use and find nice to work with,

For dry flies, a good synthetic like SLF is great. I was lucky enough to inherit an SLF "Minky" dispenser

It is easy to dub and you can build really fine noodles which is perfect for the small dry I need. I use the olive colour a lot for blue wing olive dries and I also use the rusty brown which is perfect for rusty spinners. I use the black for small black klinkhammers.

For nymph bodies and for putting a bit of bugginess on the thorax of a dry fly, it is hard to beat hare's mask. I buy the entire hares mask and make two different blends. One blend is guard hairs with fur as a binder. This is perfect if you want a buggy super spiky effect. I use this for fry fly thorax and the thorax or collar on a nymph. The other blend is just normal fur from the face of the hare. I use this for bodies on nymphs and on some larger dry flies.

Finally, I tie a lot of Parachute Adams dry flies. I find muskrat to be brilliant for this, it was used in the original Adams recipe I think. It dubs on so easy, can make a nice tight noodle and the shade is great, the one I have are little strands of brown in among the grey so it gives a really nice effect. For some reason I find the muskrat easier to work with and has a nicer effect than the "Adams Grey" in the SLF dispenser mentioned above.

Latest posts