Few hours on Elan valley

Oddball29

I’m off camping in wales about 30 mins drive from elan valley, I decided to get up early and go for a morning on Craig goch (top lake) bright sun so thought not much hope but might as well give it a go, pulling wets by the dam I had a few offers and landed a few small brownies. Decided to head up to the top end of the reservoir and noticed some fish starting to rise so changed to dry fly had 1 instantly a nicer size. then 20 minutes later after just slowly walking along the bank flicking my flys out letting them drift re casting etc I went to flick out some more line so the flys could drift more natural and a solid take as the fly twitched from my movement. The fish went deep and fought hard but I managed to get it in the net on my 3wt and 4lb line, a brown of about 2 lb maybe 2 1/2 I didn’t weigh it but it was a clonker and safely returned

Attachments

• 2C791578-3465-4247-A23A-8ADE5EC7A40F.jpeg
    2C791578-3465-4247-A23A-8ADE5EC7A40F.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 96BEC8F4-D6E9-4DC3-9E78-29FF17BA75B5.jpeg
    96BEC8F4-D6E9-4DC3-9E78-29FF17BA75B5.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 37
  • A3B496FE-C410-4ED0-824F-8391988FCD5D.jpeg
    A3B496FE-C410-4ED0-824F-8391988FCD5D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39

diawl bach

I’m off camping in wales about 30 mins drive from elan valley, I decided to get up early and go for a morning on Craig goch (top lake) bright sun so thought not much hope but might as well give it a go, pulling wets by the dam I had a few offers and landed a few small brownies. Decided to head up to the top end of the reservoir and noticed some fish starting to rise so changed to dry fly had 1 instantly a nicer size. then 20 minutes later after just slowly walking along the bank flicking my flys out letting them drift re casting etc I went to flick out some more line so the flys could drift more natural and a solid take as the fly twitched from my movement. The fish went deep and fought hard but I managed to get it in the net on my 3wt and 4lb line, a brown of about 2 lb maybe 2 1/2 I didn’t weigh it but it was a clonker and safely returned
Great! And what a beautiful part of the world to be in, I drove from Devils Bridge to Rhayader via Cwmyswyth earlier this month, it's the best drive in Wales and you can grab a decent pint at Hafod when you arrive.

morayfisher

Sounds like bliss to me 👍

Latest posts