Field Mouse Invasion

bobmiddlepoint

I was driving in early evening, had I thought it would come up at a later date I'd have slowed and had a proper look, but I am reassured by experts that think the numbers should be controlled that they must have been mountain hares.

Beware experts!
There are an awful lot of rabbits around Kinbrace, I'm over there a couple of times most months and I've yet to see a hare.

Andy

williegunn

Depends if you are counting on heather moorland or the roundabout next to a B&Q really.

I was driving in early evening, had I thought it would come up at a later date I'd have slowed and had a proper look, but I am reassured by experts that think the numbers should be controlled that they must have been mountain hares.
I understand the roundabout next to B&Q being rabbits, but are you stating that anything on a moorland will be a mountain hare?

Beware experts!
There are an awful lot of rabbits around Kinbrace, I'm over there a couple of times most months and I've yet to see a hare.

Andy

ohanzee

I understand the roundabout next to B&Q being rabbits, but are you stating that anything on a moorland will be a mountain hare?

Did we just move from rabbits to anything?

How often do you see rabbits on heather moorland?

Spider

Ohanzee I might just try that....

I presume if I leave the bait in the traps (peanut butter), it will still be attractive after a few days/week?

ohanzee

Ohanzee I might just try that....

I presume if I leave the bait in the traps (peanut butter), it will still be attractive after a few days/week?

I think it depends on how hungry they are, weeks if a hungry one comes along but if they are getting fed regularly they can turn their nose up at a dried up raisin, they are in the dark mostly so just go where their nose takes them.
I'd be concerned about how or where it got in, sealing that up would pretty much stop them, I caught 7 in the attic before finding a tiny hole under a pipe coming into the house, once sealed nothing for a couple of years now, they were somehow getting through a 3' sandstone wall then up inside the inner wall cavity to the attic, one patch of mortar in the hole stopped them.

bobmiddlepoint

Well my invasion appears to be over, no new customers for over a week.
The thing is it was mostly my fault anyway. It is the first year in the three winters that I've been here that they have come into the garage. It is also the first year that I've let the garage become a real mess complete with a haphazard stack of half dry logs against one wall, I'd brought them back on a rainy day so chucked them in the garage to keep them dry until I had time to put them in the log store. Needless to say this all added up to many cosy corners for mice! I found two nests while clearing everything out. Since clearing the garage out and having a tidy up (with stuff in plastic boxes) there is nowhere for them to hide. Just hope they don't move into the house instead now, I don't want to have to tidy that up as well!!!

Andy

pisces feram

Banned
Banned
Rabbits are widespread on hills and moors up to 1500 feet above sea level but in common with other mammals and birds are more numerous on well managed grouse moors, often up to 2000 ft.

Spider

Well I left a raisin out, and a nut, no takers.

I might even try a fingernail portion of peanut butter and see if it's taken.

Its strange.... No more scratchy noises.... Only one mouse deceased (sorry fella), maybe the sonic things worked... They must be plugged in 5 weeks now.

codyarrow

If all else fails get yourself a chicken! Once saw a mouse make the mistake in my yard of assuming the chicken was no danger and the food worth the trip out in daylight. Wrong. Chicken picked the mouse up tilted it's head back and consumed the mouse whole like a gannet.

Vintage Badger

Latest posts