Field Mouse Invasion

4wings

Remember this? One of the first viral videos

Poor little wabbit, they run and run towards the sheltering darkness straight ahead, I have never seen one deviate. If it is safe I dip my lights and they disappear into the night. I also got into the habit on lanes where I had, had near misses with Badger and Deer, of running my tyres over the cats-eyes and the noise gives us both less chance of a collision!

4wings

Poor little wabbit, they run and run towards the sheltering darkness straight ahead, I have never seen one deviate. If it is safe I dip my lights and they disappear into the night. I also got into the habit on lanes where I had, had near misses with Badger and Deer, of running my tyres over the cats-eyes and the noise gives us both less chance of a collision!
** No Not Real Cats Eyes

bobmiddlepoint

I also got into the habit on lanes where I had, had near misses with Badger and Deer, of running my tyres over the cats-eyes and the noise gives us both less chance of a collision!

That’s a brilliant idea, never thought of that!
Sadly 90% of the roads around me are single track with passing places so no cats eyes. Thankfully red deer don’t seem as prone to jumping in front of cars as roe deer.

Andy

4wings

That’s a brilliant idea, never thought of that!
Sadly 90% of the roads around me are single track with passing places so no cats eyes. Thankfully red deer don’t seem as prone to jumping in front of cars as roe deer.

Andy
I used to work for Yeo Valley up in the Mendips, a job I really enjoyed except for the occasional call to take out the Mazda pick-up to assist and recover the car of some poor soul who had wrecked their car in a brush with various animals, usually Badger or Deer. I just missed a big boar badger one morning. I braked and swerved left and luckily he carried straight on across the road, it was huge!

ohanzee

If all else fails get yourself a chicken! Once saw a mouse make the mistake in my yard of assuming the chicken was no danger and the food worth the trip out in daylight. Wrong. Chicken picked the mouse up tilted it's head back and consumed the mouse whole like a gannet.

The farm local to where I used to live had a tall plastic bucket with some chicken feed in, they left a brush against it at night, the mice would go up the brush and dive into the bucket and not get back out, in the morning the custom was to take the bucket out to the middle of the yard followed by a swarm of chickens pecking your legs, and tip the bucket out, the first time I saw this I couldn't believe how quickly the chickens ate the mice, it remains the most efficient dispatch/recycling I have ever witnessed, nothing wasted.

ohanzee

Well I left a raisin out, and a nut, no takers.

I might even try a fingernail portion of peanut butter and see if it's taken.

Its strange.... No more scratchy noises.... Only one mouse deceased (sorry fella), maybe the sonic things worked... They must be plugged in 5 weeks now.

They do work, but I had one in the attic and they moved to the other end just out of range of it.

Vintage Badger

They do work, but I had one in the attic and they moved to the other end just out of range of it.
It seems they also work on elephants and tigers too... I've not had any elephants or tigers in my attic since you plugged that sonic device in. (y) ;)

streams

Well I left a raisin out, and a nut, no takers.

I might even try a fingernail portion of peanut butter and see if it's taken.

Its strange.... No more scratchy noises.... Only one mouse deceased (sorry fella), maybe the sonic things worked... They must be plugged in 5 weeks now.
Maybe they're not Cadbury fans 😊

ohanzee

It seems they also work on elephants and tigers too... I've not had any elephants or tigers in my attic since you plugged that sonic device in. (y) ;)

It was a reasonably controlled experiment, if accidentally, at the time I had a couple of traps getting the odd mouse, put the sonic thing near those and....nothing for about a year, I had a couple of traps at the other end of the attic and bingo, about a year later I heard the unmistakable whack tap tap tap, went up and had a mouse next to the sonic device, the battery was dead.

Cap'n Fishy

Had my first mouse in the trap in the hall yesterday. It was quite exciting - like catching a first fish from a new water! 😜 (It's always the traps in the kitchen that get them, despite me seeing the feckers in every room.)

Peanut butter on this occasion, though Mars bar has done well in the past. (y)

wjg

Here it is illegal to live trap vermin and other critters. If you catch it, you kill it.
First frost every year, I have a couple mice looking to move into the basement. I use the "newer" snap traps. They have a larger paddle for a bait holder. If they are placed properly, you never need to bait them. Mice travel along a wall or vertical structure when ever possible. I place 4 un-baited traps, paddle end against the wall in strategic locations. ie, near suspected entry, between there and cold cellar and near recyclable storage, etc. Check my trap line daily in Dec. and weekly through the rest of the year.

ohanzee

Looks like the winter immigration wave has stopped here, they have either been caught or found their new homes for the winter, even the shed traps are still sitting primed.

Cap'n Fishy

No, Younger's Tartan Bitter, that horrible fizzy muck they used to squeeze out of a keg in years (thankfully) gone by!

Sounds like they rebadged Tartan Special for sending south of the border. We didn't have Tartan Bitter here, I don't think. Can't remember it anyway. We used to drink Tartan Special in the Aberdeen Uni Refectory bar... 10 p a pint in 1973! It was a shock when it went up to 11 p! 🤪

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

A difference I have noticed in the last year or so... rats wandering about in broad daylight, like squirrels. I see them on the path network regularly now. Saw one yesterday - he wandered onto the path and stopped about 20 yards in front of me. So, I stopped to see what he did next. He sat up and started nibbling something he had in his paws - right in the middle of the path! A group of folk with a pram were now coming the other way and I waited to see if they spooked him before he spooked them. They spotted him before he spotted them coming towards him - must be right short-sighted things. They were muttering... wondering if it was a giant mouse... "These are small, but the ones out there are far away." :unsure: "Rat", I shouted to them. They kind of stopped, but he was starting to twig their approach by now, and casually made his way on across the path and into the undergrowth.

A couple of years ago, I was walking round Blackford Pond, which has signs up, asking folk not to feed the birds, as it attracts rats. There was a young guy ignoring it and feeding the birds... and a couple of rats were running back-and-forth, collecting bird food and taking it back to their den or lair or whatever you call a rat's home. I could barely get a photo of them with the long lens on, because they were just about under my feet!

BlackfordHill05Feb20_5907.jpg

BlackfordHill05Feb20_5901.jpg

BlackfordHill05Feb20_5898.jpg

codyarrow

Lockdowns moved their locations and probably changed their habits too. Lack of fast food in the evenings?

Latest posts