Field Mouse Invasion

4wings

I used a rolling beam trap I found on you tube but there are others.

Last edited:

ohanzee

I got a rat this morning, 7 years without neighbours and never saw a rat, neighbours move in and...rats, think they have been dispersed from a nearby farm, couple of days ago one chewed through a Volvo wiring loom, £800 to fix, 3 cars got it, must have been on the run and went for a cosy sleep on the warm engines, one found its way into my barn, and Kerpow, bit creeped out by it.

So what precautions? never had rats before.

4wings

Rats don't like change, as soon as winter bites they leave the fields and head for buildings and look for a food supply, I move stuff around if I notice rats they get spooked if the scenery moves. I check my small greenhouse floor as they like to burrow in under it and smoke them out, any that linger get
a heavy airgun pellet for their trouble. If there are a lot I hang up a pierced can of sloppy pet food along with a low wattage light (and a backstop of course) and sit up with my TX200 they stretch up to reach the can and I shoot them. I move planters and stuff around, not wholesale just a little, backward and forward will do it. I put out pet safe rat boxes in the shed and greenhouse if they hang around.
Any birdfeeders are put away in the galvanised lidded bins.

62mansions

That time of year again!
I am lucky to have a house that looks out onto open land, drawback being the invasion of field mice into garage, shed et al!
So far this last week, 5 caught in live catch traps (4 of that type) and 7 in kill mouse traps, (3 of them). One of the kills being one I released earlier this week. (I snip a cut into the big ears as marker on release!)
Given the amount of tackle/gear stored in both places, I need to protect same from these wee beasties.
Anyone got other solutions apart from trapping?
Trapping is highly effective with peanut butter and extermination is regrettably the best approach. Dead mice can then be thrown onto a flat roof and are good food for birds of prey etc. I am averaging 3 mice a day at the moment. Bait boxes also effective, they do like that blue coloured bait, but obviously not food for the birds. They prefer a fresh mouse off the trap to a shrivelled one from pellets!

codyarrow

So what precautions? never had rats before.
The only 100% way I found is poison blocks. If you go down this route tie them onto wire and put them in a 't section' pipe made out of plumbing pipe.
Other than that cats do work a bit, and in particular stop baby rats becoming rats; although a cat and a rat is not a completely one sided affair.
Bucket traps - clear out the stupid ones, but not all of them.
Fen traps - again clear out a few and create sore fingers.
Little nipper traps - shite.
and I cannot confirm this but have heard co codamol sends them insane - although the chemist might doubt your intentions.

ohanzee

Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure I want insane rats high on co codamol, lets skip that one, I think I have done it, the plumber left a hole under the floor for water pipes....'I thought you were going to cement them up' he said:rolleyes: looks like it got in there, cemented up the hole so anything under the house is trapped in with a rat trap baited with Danish blue cheese, peanut butter on the shopping list.

Give me field mice any day.

raphael

Been invaded few years ago in the garage where some fishing gear is stored... and despite two cats (pellets are easier to catch!).
Big damages: they've been exploring and tasting many things, peeing everywhere, a total mess. Fly lines eaten, aluminum reels corroded, pouches impregnated and stinking, clothes holed, etc... Not speaking about bait bags for coarse fishing. Then, know all gear is stored in tightly locked thick plastic containers and clothes are hanged at metal metal work where they cannot climb, boots and shoes are in plastic boxes. No more probs' despite they are sometimes coming back.

Just fearing to use poison as they may be found by our dog... or any other innocent predator.

R

Last edited:

Vintage Badger

Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure I want insane rats high on co codamol, lets skip that one, I think I have done it, the plumber left a hole under the floor for water pipes....'I thought you were going to cement them up' he said:rolleyes: looks like it got in there, cemented up the hole so anything under the house is trapped in with a rat trap baited with Danish blue cheese, peanut butter on the shopping list.

Give me field mice any day.
A chunk of Mars Bar would probably work just as well if peanut butter is out of stock at the local supermarket.

PaulF1

Too late now if you have already cemented it, but the nice man from Rentokill (sp?) told my son to insert wire wool deep into any hole before cementing it up, as rats and mice do not like to chew on it. Apparently, they will try to chew through concrete!?
And, I've just this minute read they are repelled by the smell of peppermint oil. This may be an urban myth. :rolleyes:

ohanzee

Too late now if you have already cemented it, but the nice man from Rentokill (sp?) told my son to insert wire wool deep into any hole before cementing it up, as rats and mice do not like to chew on it. Apparently, they will try to chew through concrete!?
And, I've just this minute read they are repelled by the smell of peppermint oil. This may be an urban myth. :rolleyes:

My neighbour sprayed his electrics with peppermint oil today, see how that goes, apparently when he hits 60 the car smells like toothpaste 😬

raphael

Ah! Another problem: molehills... and also galleries under the freshly planted seeds. I've found a solution: it's been a few year we have a Belgian shepherd. He can feel and smell the moles anywhere they are, and even quite deep. Then he's digging to try to catch them, and as those little animals hate air blows in their tunnel, they eventually left our garden! Good point, no more molehills but... plenty dog holes, sometimes almost 30cm deep!!! 😬😬

original cormorant

This thread is reminding me of a few years ago putting pink poison blocks down holes then ramming dry concrete mix on top.

A problem with poison is decaying bodies in inaccessible places.