Field Mouse Invasion

tenet

Having made a trip to Sainsbury's to take advantage of their 25% off wine offer called into B&Q to pick up a couple of Big Cheese snap traps. If they fail to catch I can always leave them on the vegetable patch hoping to snap a cat that keeps crapping there.

Reactions: ACW

esk

I had great success with the Big Cheese Electric traps bated with peanut butter.

One trap placed twice, two roast mice.

Block the hole and no more issues. They did ruin a large bag of dog kibble before I spotted they were munching, pissing, shitting and (probably) fu....ing in it.

Euan

ohanzee

Having made a trip to Sainsbury's to take advantage of their 25% off wine offer called into B&Q to pick up a couple of Big Cheese snap traps. If they fail to catch I can always leave them on the vegetable patch hoping to snap a cat that keeps crapping there.

Big Cheese traps are not great, the box ones particularly, I have one somewhere that mice built a nest in, I use the old steel snap traps, sometimes the plastic ones, bout a quid on ebay.

You could encourage that cat and nurture a symbiotic relationship that benefits both parties.

bobmiddlepoint

The first rule of bats is you do not talk about bats. ;)
Having said I'm certain that there are none in our attic, there are so many sodding wasps there's no room for them.
A wasp eating bat would be v. welcome, in fact we do have bats in an outbuilding but, obviously, not the right species

Chuck a badger up there, they love wasps.

diawl bach

That's the only thing putting me off from acting on the suggestion, badgers everywhere, getting one through the hatch though...,

Spider

My dad, God rest him, used to say that when the mice took poison they went outside because it burned them? So I didn't want to do that. Now my kids are objecting to the concept of setting traps! I was at 5 a side last night and the wife met the mouse (or one of them!) in the laundry room and reckons the neighbours heard the screams. :)

So if I put out poison, they are just as likely to die and rot in the house, as go outside? The concept of poisoning them is a bit grim but I might have to do it, but don't want them dying in behind the washing machine... :(

4wings

The only 100% way I found is poison blocks. If you go down this route tie them onto wire and put them in a 't section' pipe made out of plumbing pipe.
Other than that cats do work a bit, and in particular stop baby rats becoming rats; although a cat and a rat is not a completely one sided affair.
Bucket traps - clear out the stupid ones, but not all of them.
Fen traps - again clear out a few and create sore fingers.
Little nipper traps - shite.
and I cannot confirm this but have heard co codamol sends them insane - although the chemist might doubt your intentions.
My cat has so far caught and killed half a dozen Rats and even more mice of one kind or another.
He has a disturbing habit of eating the meeces heads.

Paul_B

My dad, God rest him, used to say that when the mice took poison they went outside because it burned them? So I didn't want to do that. Now my kids are objecting to the concept of setting traps! I was at 5 a side last night and the wife met the mouse (or one of them!) in the laundry room and reckons the neighbours heard the screams. :)

So if I put out poison, they are just as likely to die and rot in the house, as go outside? The concept of poisoning them is a bit grim but I might have to do it, but don't want them dying in behind the washing machine... :(

They are more likely to die in the house as that is their home, saying they went out for a drink was a sales gimmick, todays poisons are blood thinners, like the old warfarin but better. It takes almost a week for it to remove the Vitamin K from their bodies so its best to keep feeding them until they stop eating.

The Endrick Spider

Using poisons on anything is not the answer for the victims could have a knock on effect. These mice/rats etc that if having eaten poison, before they die a slow death they themselves could quite easily be eaten by the likes of barn owls, buzzards etc or even caught by some young kids pet cat and then eaten. Then you have people that put slug pellets down where the slugs that have been poisoned, they end up being eaten by our beautiful songbirds. Killing slugs, you are depriving hedgehogs of their food where all you need to do is sprinkle a 27p pack of salt about the place to keep them away. The salt will also contribute to keeping away the weeds.
Anyway, by using poison you are admitting to being a defeatist for there is no skill in that, you are backing down from the challenge of becoming a hunter. Every winter I set myself a challenge by seeing how many mice I can catch over a period of time using the same piece of maize before a mouse gets away with the bait. There are plenty more attractive baits that I could use but they are not long lasting. With high winds forecast this weekend my 3 traps will be taken in for as I set these traps so fine the wind could easily set them off giving any mice about a free meal.

diawl bach

Chuck a badger up there, they love wasps.

The good news - got the badger through the loft hatch

The bad news -

badger.JPG

codyarrow

My cat has so far caught and killed half a dozen Rats and even more mice of one kind or another.
He has a disturbing habit of eating the meeces heads.
Yes we have a surprising number of cold case mouse murders by the front door involving no heads. 'Thanks for your gift!'.
Some cats can tackle rats but we had one cat that had it's ear sliced in two by a rat and never went near them again.

codyarrow

Anyway, by using poison you are admitting to being a defeatist for there is no skill in that, you are backing down from the challenge of becoming a hunter.
This was probably my closest call yet. Old hot water cylinder. The black tape is where the rats chewed through to the copper, you can also see they have been chewing the tank. Quite happy to say I defeatistly cleared them out, the alternative being rather hot.
IMG_1004.JPG

ohanzee

Poison doesn't give you the closure of knowing the job is done, and you don't know what else is eating it or where they go to die, my neighbour had something/s die under his bathroom floor and you couldn't go in without puking over the smell.

Easy to put some peanut butter on a snap trap, all will be done in the first 12 hour cycle, just need to empty the trap.

Vintage Badger

Poison doesn't give you the closure of knowing the job is done, and you don't know what else is eating it or where they go to die, my neighbour had something/s die under his bathroom floor and you couldn't go in without puking over the smell.

Easy to put some peanut butter on a snap trap, all will be done in the first 12 hour cycle, just need to empty the trap.
My parents moved house around 14 years ago and discovered a problem with rats getting into the loft space over the single storey building their kitchen and breakfast room is in. So they called in the council pest controller (when councils had such a thing and it was free for rat infestations in domestic properties), who did a good job by all accounts...

The smell of rotting rat started on Christmas Eve and lasted until New Year's day! Not really what you want mingling with the aroma of Christmas dinner cooking! :sick:

So yes, I much prefer traps to poison, but you do need to check them a couple of times a day on animal welfare grounds just in case they've caught a rodent rather than killed it.

Latest posts