Fieldfares & Redwings

3lbgrayling

I saw my first big flocks of Fieldfares and redwings on Friday.Probably helped along by the strong eastery wind we've had for a week now.

Jim

lukewarm

Not seen one here as of yet , so they’re about 8-10 days later than last year already.The hawthorn is heaving with berries this year waiting for them but if we get an early sharp frost they’ll miss the bounty. Saw a group of about 30 swallows this morning though :rolleyes:

Cap'n Fishy

Both very handsome birds. :thumbs:

Had loads of redwings in our neighbourhood last winter. Managed to snap a couple of them in a front garden, which had a big tree full of red berries they were tuned into...

Redwings03Jan19_0311.jpg

Redwings03Jan19_0278.jpg

The fieldfares were focusing on the sea buckthorn, of which there are biblical amounts at Aberlady. It was very low light the day I was there, so a lot of ISO noise...

Aberlady20Dec18_8639.jpg

A cleaner shot at distance...

Aberlady20Dec18_8669.jpg

Col

lukewarm

##An update##.... they’ve arrived today (Fieldfares) , chattering away in groups of 20s - 30s . Those hawthorns are in for a battering :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bobmiddlepoint

I saw the first redwing in Bettyhill on Sept 16th this year but only one and none since.
A few whooper swans head came over at the end of last week but the big numbers of geese all seem to have gone through now.

Andy

easker1

Re: Fieldfares & Redwings

saw a couple of redwings on the way back from Dingwall on Friday, easker1

- - - Updated - - -

saw a couple of redwings on the way back from Dingwall on Friday, easker1

3lbgrayling

I was standing on the banks of the river this afternoon.and a flock of fieldfares.came whoosing downstream missing me by a couple of feet.amazing sound.then as I was coming off the river in near darkness.about 20 whoopers came in to land in the field beside me.amazing racket.Great stuff.

Jim

tenet

1st Redwings sighted in our garden yesterday (cotswolds) feasting on the Hawthorn berries.

Secret Angler

Seen a couple of fieldfares, but don't often see the winter thrushes in numbers until the new year.

Cap'n Fishy

Finally spotted a good-sized flock of redwings on the cycle path this afternoon - and I had the camera with me. I had a struggle to get anywhere close to them and they were staying high in the trees. I did my best to follow them, and finally got in reasonable position. There were 20 or 30 of them in a couple of trees and I had managed to get to a higher vantage point. I fired off one frame, and at that point a random magpie landed in their tree and spooked the whole lot of them and they all flew off into the middle distance. Cheers, mate! :rolleyes:

Here's the one frame...

Here's the next...

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Strange one today. After them seeming very skittish this year...

There is one stretch of the cycle path - actually quite urban, as it runs between two streets and has a grass and shrubbery strip either side - where the blackbirds and thrushes always seem particularly tame. Despite all the dog-walkers and joggers and cyclists going through the middle of them, they barely bother to get out the way of people. Sometimes you almost stand on one as it forages for worms. That's what happened today - I nearly stood on a thrush... except when it flitted out from under me, I saw the russet patches and realised it was a redwing! It settled a couple of yards from me. On the good side, lighting-wise! I carefully got the camera out the bag without spooking it. I thought I was going to get a really good shot of it. But the next bunch of dogs and bicycles caused it to cross to the grass on the far side - where the light was diabolical! B*gger! And it was several yards further away from me! :( I got as good as I was going to get - at ISO 4000...

Flowers04Feb20_5609.jpg

But he was still foraging away, quite happily, so I was thinking about manoeuvring round him to get closer and a better light. That's when I spotted the girl who had stopped when she saw me taking photos of the bird. "Redwing", I said to her, and I waved her to come through, between us. As she passed between me and the bird, he decided he didn't care for her (dunno why when so many others hadn't been an issue for him) and he flew off!

I've had similar with an individual redwing in the past. It seems to be the case that if you get a whole flock of them, they are skittish, but if you get one on its own, it's a lot tamer??? :noidea: But there is something odd about that stretch of the path and how tame the birds are on it??? :confused:

Col

bobmiddlepoint

I've had similar with an individual redwing in the past. It seems to be the case that if you get a whole flock of them, they are skittish, but if you get one on its own, it's a lot tamer??? :noidea: But there is something odd about that stretch of the path and how tame the birds are on it??? :confused:

Col

I have seen the same thing myself with individual redwings once or twice when I've walked within just a few feet of them. I wonder if they are just starving and feeding is more important than flitting off at every movement? I guess we don't appear to be much more threat than a sheep or a cow, it isn't as if we are making any effort to hide and creep up on them.
The other thing I've wondered is if it is something to do with birds that haven't had much or any human contact in their summer ranges? Flocks of snow buntings seem totally unbothered by people or even dogs when they are on the Uist beaches.

Andy