Fiery Ginger Hog.

Wee Jimmy

This one and the Choc Hog are my two favourites.

Wee Jimmy

That looks to be a good trout staple, great colours 👍
Aye they seem to have good general purpose trout appeal in a number of situations.
Great for sedges obviously and not surprisingly ,also very good for fish feeding on adult alders.They are a must for Orkney,the fish up there just love them.

It’a good sighter fly to have on the dropper in tricky light. It can also be fished in several different ways,so is very versatile .All in all , a handy pattern to have in the box....😉

Last edited:

Wee Jimmy

Fish food WJ, (y)

If you get any that aren't quite tied to your high standard, instead of wasting your valuable time stripping them back just pop them in a bag and I'll happily relieve you of them at the lake :cool:
Thanks Jim...👍
The thing with hogs is they seem to take me ages to tie so even the duffers still end up in the box....😃I know there’s a short cut way of tying them but I don’t think they look as good.

Scotty Mitchell

I
Thanks Jim...👍
The thing with hogs is they seem to take me ages to tie so even the duffers still end up in the box....😃I know there’s a short cut way of tying them but I don’t think they look as good.
Im glad to hear you say that Jimmy.
I can spit out half hogs, but full hogs take me yonks.
I do very well with small versions, 14’s and the like, surprisingly well, and they are much quicker and easier. Obviously when conditions dictate etc etc ie not on a big wave.

Wee Jimmy

I

Im glad to hear you say that Jimmy.
I can spit out half hogs, but full hogs take me yonks.
I do very well with small versions, 14’s and the like, surprisingly well, and they are much quicker and easier. Obviously when conditions dictate etc etc ie not on a big wave.
Agree with that Scotty, I have some 14s with a much sparser wing that I like to use specifically for the grousewing hatch in particular.They look just like a freshly emerged sedge on the water...😉 I tend to fish all my hogs as an out and out static dry most of the time anyway.
The bulkier ones ( 12s) do give you the option for some twiddling and pop up tactics if required but I probably don’t do that as much as I should to be honest.

Scotty Mitchell

Agree with that Scotty, I have some 14s with a much sparser wing that I like to use specifically for the grousewing hatch in particular.They look just like a freshly emerged sedge on the water...😉 I tend to fish all my hogs as an out and out static dry most of the time anyway.
The bulkier ones ( 12s) do give you the option for some twiddling and pop up tactics if required but I probably don’t do that as much as I should to be honest.
I’ve never made the “twiddle - pop” work consistently enough to remember to try it, if that makes sense.
I’ve always used them predominantly as static dry as yourself