Fig tree

Cap'n Fishy

Spotted what must surely be a fig tree (?), growing over the Water of Leith. Presumably it has self-seeded from a seed that came down the river? It's in a totally inaccessible spot, coming from the base of a high wall. It's got a good crop of fruit on it, though I'm not sure how you would go about harvesting them... need waders and a ladder to get at them...

Flowers17Jun21_9105.jpg

Flowers17Jun21_9108.jpg

Flowers17Jun21_9120.jpg

Flowers17Jun21_9126.jpg

Col

Cap'n Fishy

I was on the Water of Leith walkway when I took the photos, so it's not exactly hidden from public gaze! However, good luck to anyone who manages to pick them - they deserve them if they get them. 😜

Last edited:

rockslider

do they ripen up there Col? Ours stay pretty small and hard unless it has been a warm year (count this one out!)

Cap'n Fishy

do they ripen up there Col? Ours stay pretty small and hard unless it has been a warm year (count this one out!)

I have no idea - first time I have found one growing in the wild here. They are a good size - as big or bigger than the ones in the shops.. I will keep an eye on them.

Nearby is a damson or bullace (not sure) tree that sometimes produces a good crop, but I have never managed to pick any for doing some gin...

Flowers23Jul19_8012.jpg

Paul_B

They fruit better if they have restricted roots and that certainly has, I have have some set in the open and some in containers and I get plenty of fruit.
Take care when pruning as the milky sap is an irritant.

vital

I knew a guy in Jersey who had a fig tree, he used to put small polythene bags on the fruit to help ripen them

Cap'n Fishy

Keep an eye on it and get in first! Figs like lots of water, abundant sun, and a constrained rootball (or they just make foliage) so you're onto a winner there.

Aye, the only problem is that I think my abseiling days are behind me! 🥴

Cap'n Fishy

I looked in July to see how the figs were getting on, and they were nearly all gone. Looked again in August, and could not see any. I think they just fell off?
shrug.001.gif

benisa

Just planted one this year

put loads slabs around the route ( said to do this ) and stones in the base with good rotted manure and keep it well watered ( well not just now with all the rain down here )

have small fruit on it now
read that you are suppose to remove these before the winter to help with next years growth

also B.... .. small snails are eating the leaves

arawa

Have 3 fig trees in our garden all planted by us. Although north of the Great Glen, the trees are on a south-facing terrace and 2 of them have some full-size ripe figs.

Paul_B

Just planted one this year

put loads slabs around the route ( said to do this ) and stones in the base with good rotted manure and keep it well watered ( well not just now with all the rain down here )

have small fruit on it now
read that you are suppose to remove these before the winter to help with next years growth

also B.... .. small snails are eating the leaves

I have a few in containers to restrict root growth, you should knock off all but pea sized fruit ready for next year, google will tell you more, take care as the milky sap can irritate.

Latest posts