Fig tree

benisa

I have a few in containers to restrict root growth, you should knock off all but pea sized fruit ready for next year, google will tell you more, take care as the milky sap can irritate.
thanks

I put the slabs of paving all 4 sides of the plant to restrict the root growth
do the leaves full of in the winter ?

did read some where that you should cover them up because of Mr Jack Frost ?

arawa

How many years does it take to bear fruit.
Small figs that did not mature quite soon, but (I think) it was about 5 years after planting out before we started getting edible figs and a few more years before getting them in quantity.
The trees get quite big quite quickly!

arawa

thanks

Not sure if there are different varieties that cope better with cold weather but our 3 trees have survived many hard frosts with no protection at all. And 2 of them are now far too large to cover!

benisa

i have the brown turkey one
as i just planted it his year like to look after it : to make some Fig JAM next summer :)

Paul_B

thanks

I put the slabs of paving all 4 sides of the plant to restrict the root growth
do the leaves full of in the winter ?

The way you've set it is ideal and leaves will fall later, I've never covered mine to protect from frost and they're all growing well, however as said it may depend on the variety.

This will help https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=106

4wings

Spotted what must surely be a fig tree (?), growing over the Water of Leith. Presumably it has self-seeded from a seed that came down the river? It's in a totally inaccessible spot, coming from the base of a high wall. It's got a good crop of fruit on it, though I'm not sure how you would go about harvesting them... need waders and a ladder to get at them...

Flowers17Jun21_9105.jpg

Flowers17Jun21_9108.jpg

Flowers17Jun21_9120.jpg

Flowers17Jun21_9126.jpg

Col
I used an extending net and an old bread saw knife tied to it even a decent stick tied across the net would do. The figs start to go brown and sag a little on their stems a gentle tug will get them if ripe mine were ripe midway through September.

Cap'n Fishy

I used an extending net and an old bread saw knife tied to it even a decent stick tied across the net would do. The figs start to go brown and sag a little on their stems a gentle tug will get them if ripe mine were ripe midway through September.
Alas, they all just fell off before ripening. :(

Col

Latest posts