Finally, Lewis Hamilton to get a knighthood

spudgun

Lewis to get a long overdue knighthood, after clinching his seventh F1 World drivers championship. The man's career achievements are something else. while he holds the outright records for the most wins (94), pole positions (97), podium finishes (163), points finishes (227), career points (3738) and points in a season (413). Hamilton is regarded as one of the greatest Formula One drivers in history, with some journalists, experts and fellow drivers describing him as the greatest of all time.
He always comes across as totally humble, when interviewed after a race he'll always refer to the teams hard work, both at the track and at the factory in the UK. And for the haters who say he doesn't pay enough tax, even though he lives abroad, he's in the top 5000 tax payers in the UK. In my opinion giving him a knighthood will only spur him on to greater things, championing the BLM movement and his academy to promote black racing drivers.
Congratulations Lewis

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

mr_eejit

I might get blasted for this but wtf, why should they give a knighthood to a sports person, many nurses, doctors on this planet deserve it for the work they do (and that they have done over this past year) not someone that drives a car around a track, or kicks a football, or whatever other **** celebrity they give them to. So fecking disrespectful to the people that deserve it in the country/world

ohanzee

I might get blasted for this but wtf, why should they give a knighthood to a sports person, many nurses, doctors on this planet deserve it for the work they do (and that they have done over this past year) not someone that drives a car around a track, or kicks a football, or whatever other **** celebrity they give them to. So fecking disrespectful to the people that deserve it in the country/world

I agree, why not give knighthoods to the entire team that just gave us a vaccine for covid? is that not a worthy contribution?

davefish

You are both missing the point. Sure there are plenty of people who should be considered for awards. But we are talking about sport personalities. It's not that hard to work out.

ohanzee

You are both missing the point. Sure there are plenty of people who should be considered for awards. But we are talking about sport personalities. It's not that hard to work out.

Are there different types of knighthood?

LukeNZ

Credit where its due. He has done enough to deserve it.
He may choose to decline, he seems principled. He certainly doesn't need it, unless he is going to leverage off that accolade, coupled with his fame to give back to some greater cause than just his own personal swag.
I believe he can, and will. Well done that man!

Last edited:

hutch6

Oh come on!!

All the guy has to do is keep it on the tarmac. All he has to do is keep a car with more traction and computer control than any other vehicle on the planet on the tarmac. A;; he has to do is keep the most advanced vehicle in F1 on the tarmac and it'll pull away from any other F1 vehicle.
He doesn't necessarily have to keep all of the car on all of the tarmac either as I'm sure it's capable on the grass or a bit of gravel.

Poor Rick Longbottom. He won't get a knighthood or a medal or even a mention in Lewis's after dinner speeches for making sure his visor was loaded up with those sticky things to help him see better.
Joachim Luderbrau, the guy that is in charge of the Mercedes wind tunnel won't get anything!!
Doug Fisk who makes sure Lewis' trailer is at exactly 19.3oC for him so he cab get optimum concentration won't even come on the radar.

I'm just kidding. Awesome driver with absolute dedication. He said he was going to do this right from the start and he has done. His dad and agent have guided him well but ultimately he has made the right decision when it counted both on and off the track.
Sport folk and knighthoods? Another discussion.

delray

Sport folk and knighthoods? Another discussion

Yep, perhaps the thread title should be re-named.

I have no interest in motorsport at all, and yet, because of Hamilton I watch every F1 race. He's a little bit different, he's never visibly or audibly nasty, and we claim him as a local. (Yep I live in Monaco...)
A perfect role model you'd think, and yet will probably never be as his life style is so 'fabulous' as to be unbelievable let alone partially attainable.

Knighthoods? Do they have a place in our modern world? Probably not, but while other sports folk are recognised in this way then Lewis is the most deserving.
As above, well done that man.

mrnotherone

The whole honours system is politicised garbage and should be overhauled.

In any little dispute, all the knights of the realm should be given a pointy stick and put on a horse in the front row. Then we'll see if they're worth it :)

Paul_B

I think giving him a knighthood will inspire more of our youth (young and old) to try the sport.
It'll also keep the bobbies and other emergency services occupied.

I'm one for giving it to those who have excelled during the Covid pandemic 👩‍⚕️👨‍⚕️

glueman

Gongs for doing the job you are paid for well or being a politician or crawling to the prime minister is wrong. Gongs should go to people that do good in society or the military going beyond the call of duty

spudgun

Only three other British F1 drivers have been knighted: Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham and Jackie Stewart. There's plenty of doctors, surgeons, politicians, military personnel, actors etc etc etc.
Yes these are the most powerful F1cars ever, they are the most technically advanced ever, but its been said the most difficult. Imagine trying to manually retune your car radio at 215 mph, the driver will retune the car with one hand on the wheel before most corners or sequence of corners. Imagine having wheel spin in 5th gear. Anyway there are plenty of other people probably more deserving of a title. Sir Ian Duncan Smith, who the feck mominated that plum.
So let's not bother watching sport because we enjoy it, no let's sit at home and just think and reflect about all the doctors, nurses, surgeons, soldiers, actors, politicians who selflessly give up their time and lives in some cases to keep us protected, let's not bother fishing again because we are selfish, let's not bother with sports at all because we are selfish and we should think constantly about the doctors, military personnel etc. These people deserve recognition, but so do the people that entertain us, these people stop us getting depressed or even in some cases make us depressed. No let's bin the TV, phone, fishing gear, anything that gives us a break from the stress of life and just sit and think about all the selfless people who keep us safe.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

glueman

Spudgun he earns £40 million from Merc plus more from other sponsorship, he left the country to live in Switzerland found the tax regime to much for him so moved to Monaco.Now very much involved with BLM Does he deserve a knighthood NO

hutch6

Do the holders of Knighthoods (protectors of the realm) actually have to pick up as word at some point and defend Ol' Betty?

glueman

Switzerland and Monaco are favoured by high value individuals because of their generous tax systems.

In Switzerland the wealthy can pay a low sum on the fortunes banked in the country and the government views it as taxed paid.

Monaco is even more generous and since as far back as 1869 has not had any personal income tax on people living there, as long as they are there over three months a year.

There is no capital gains taxes there or any taxation on large amounts of money.