Finally, Lewis Hamilton to get a knighthood

spudgun

Congratulations, Sir Lewis, well deserved in my opinion. Congratulations to all other's recognised in this year's honours list.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

suzuki15hp

Hamilton was disregarded in a previous honours nomination due to "tax irregularities", but the F1 hierarchy made a better case for him this time, apparently.

The whole honours system should be scrapped, in my opinion, and be replaced with a website, updated annually, with a simple list of names, A to Z, accompanied with one of three annotations, depending on how they've performed at whatever they do:
Tier 1) "Well Done" and the (y) emoji
Tier 2) "Very Well Done" and two (y)(y) emojis
Tier 3) "Wow" and three (y)(y)(y) emojis

Obviously, individual text messages would be sent out to the honourees, which could be printed out and stuck on the fridge door for posterity.

I'm just not a fan. :(

green man

The whole honours system should be scrapped, in my opinion...

I disagree. There are plenty who deserve the gratitude of the nation. It's the system that stinks - not (all) the people who are honoured.

A proper committee should have the only say, not individuals like the PM or an outgoing opposition leader. But I would scrap hereditary titles.

JRT

There are plenty worthy BLM contenders.

Like who?

Wouldn't it be better to award people not associated to a political movement who's goal is to bring down capitalism and the 'nuclear family' and who want to re-write British history? Wouldn't it be ignorant to give an empire award to people that lay the blame for all their ills on the former empire?

There are genuinely thousands of self-less people out there who have done incredible things in the last few years. What about the folks developing a vaccine within a year?

Last edited:

glueman

I might get blasted for this but wtf, why should they give a knighthood to a sports person, many nurses, doctors on this planet deserve it for the work they do (and that they have done over this past year) not someone that drives a car around a track, or kicks a football, or whatever other **** celebrity they give them to. So fecking disrespectful to the people that deserve it in the country/world
You forgot the £40 million plus he earns,who diserved more the ***** driving a car in circles or the heart surgeon. I needed the surgeon not some racing driver

spudgun

I wasn't going to reply, but I have to put a few things straight.
Craig David is not getting a knighthood, he's getting an MBE.

Hamilton is among the top 5,000 highest tax payers in the UK.
Hamilton told the Sunday Times in 2014: “What people don’t realise is that I pay tax here [in the UK], but I don’t earn all my money here.

“I race in 19 different countries, so I earn my money in 20 different places and I pay tax in several different places, and I pay a lot here as well. I am contributing to the country and, not only that, I help keep a team of more than 1,000 people employed. I am part of a much bigger picture.”

“The UK honours system rewards people for merit, service or bravery. Honours are given to deserving and high-achieving people from every section of life: from soldiers to community volunteers, performers and leaders of industry.“

“I think about people like my grandad who served in the war, I think about Sir Captain Tom [Moore],” he said, referring to the 100-year-old former soldier who raised more than £32m for Britain’s National Health Service.

“The people that are running hospitals, the nurses and doctors who are saving lives during the hardest time ever. I think about those unsung heroes and I don’t look at myself as an unsung hero.

“I’ve not saved anybody.”

Fellow British great Sir Jackie Stewart, the three-time world champion who lived in Switzerland during his racing career, told the Daily Telegraph this week there is “no question” Hamilton should be knighted: “I certainly think it’s justified.”

Richards and the F1 All-Party Parliamentary Group – whose letter is signed by former Labour cabinet minister Lord Hain, and Conservative MPs Greg Smith and James Sunderland – also point to Hamilton’s charitable work for the Make A Wish foundation, Save the Children and Unicef and his push for equality and inclusivity in a sport where he remains the sole black driver.

They also highlight the Hamilton Commission, which has been established by the new seven-time world champion, to improve the representation of black people in motor sport.

Richards adds: “Throughout Lewis’ journey to the top he has walked a lonely path as the only black driver in F1 and the Black Lives Matter movement has allowed him to speak candidly about his experience. He has used his voice, platform and influence to call for positive change.

“His story is a remarkable one of sheer application, dedication, sacrifice, supreme skill and determination to enter a sport where the odds were stacked immeasurably against him.
Hamilton is no less active through the foundation that bears his name, contributing generously to a raft of charitable causes including Save The Children, The Honeypot Children’s Charity, Great Ormond Street Hospital, plus organisations with a more global focus like Unicef, Education Africa and the Harlem Children’s Zone.

codyarrow

BLM....

The irony of being a Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire

A fair point with some validity. Many have turned the honours down because of the connotations it holds. But if Marcus Rashford turned down his award how many doors would be closed to him trying to achieve what he has?
An uncomfortable situation for myself as well - having to like a Man Utd player. 🤣

Noodles

I wasn't going to reply, but I have to put a few things straight.
Craig David is not getting a knighthood, he's getting an MBE.

Hamilton is among the top 5,000 highest tax payers in the UK.
Hamilton told the Sunday Times in 2014: “What people don’t realise is that I pay tax here [in the UK], but I don’t earn all my money here.

“I race in 19 different countries, so I earn my money in 20 different places and I pay tax in several different places, and I pay a lot here as well. I am contributing to the country and, not only that, I help keep a team of more than 1,000 people employed. I am part of a much bigger picture.”

“The UK honours system rewards people for merit, service or bravery. Honours are given to deserving and high-achieving people from every section of life: from soldiers to community volunteers, performers and leaders of industry.“

“I think about people like my grandad who served in the war, I think about Sir Captain Tom [Moore],” he said, referring to the 100-year-old former soldier who raised more than £32m for Britain’s National Health Service.

“The people that are running hospitals, the nurses and doctors who are saving lives during the hardest time ever. I think about those unsung heroes and I don’t look at myself as an unsung hero.

“I’ve not saved anybody.”

Fellow British great Sir Jackie Stewart, the three-time world champion who lived in Switzerland during his racing career, told the Daily Telegraph this week there is “no question” Hamilton should be knighted: “I certainly think it’s justified.”

Richards and the F1 All-Party Parliamentary Group – whose letter is signed by former Labour cabinet minister Lord Hain, and Conservative MPs Greg Smith and James Sunderland – also point to Hamilton’s charitable work for the Make A Wish foundation, Save the Children and Unicef and his push for equality and inclusivity in a sport where he remains the sole black driver.

They also highlight the Hamilton Commission, which has been established by the new seven-time world champion, to improve the representation of black people in motor sport.

Richards adds: “Throughout Lewis’ journey to the top he has walked a lonely path as the only black driver in F1 and the Black Lives Matter movement has allowed him to speak candidly about his experience. He has used his voice, platform and influence to call for positive change.

“His story is a remarkable one of sheer application, dedication, sacrifice, supreme skill and determination to enter a sport where the odds were stacked immeasurably against him.
Hamilton is no less active through the foundation that bears his name, contributing generously to a raft of charitable causes including Save The Children, The Honeypot Children’s Charity, Great Ormond Street Hospital, plus organisations with a more global focus like Unicef, Education Africa and the Harlem Children’s Zone.

Well that saves me writing a lengthy reply, well said 👍😀

JayP

A fair point with some validity. Many have turned the honours down because of the connotations it holds. But if Marcus Rashford turned down his award how many doors would be closed to him trying to achieve what he has?
An uncomfortable situation for myself as well - having to like a Man Utd player. 🤣
At least with covid they won't have to take the knee in front of Queenie 😉

spudgun

Though I'd post this to show that the right people are also being recognised.
Sky News: COVID-19 heroes celebrated in New Year's Honours list

Happy New year to you all, let's hope this year is better one than last.
Cheers

ohanzee

Like who?

Wouldn't it be better to award people not associated to a political movement who's goal is to bring down capitalism and the 'nuclear family' and who want to re-write British history? Wouldn't it be ignorant to give an empire award to people that lay the blame for all their ills on the former empire?

They are not 'literally' BLM 'organisation' supporters.