Finishing the season with a flourish

thetrouttickler

To say 2020 has been an odd year would be an understatement, but at least we've been able to pursue our outdoor pastime.

With only 5 weeks left of the trout season (appreciate there are slight regional differences) do you have any exciting plans before the curtain comes down? Is anyone feeling particularly brave enough to have an overseas trip lined up (e.g. I have heard Iceland is fishing well)? What are you looking forward to between now and the end of next month?

I have my first ever day on the Itchen next month, and that is very exciting!

thetrouttickler

I'm hoping to have a trip up to Rannoch Moor (Scotland) mid Sept, as my last throw of the dice.
Much will depend on how my knees hold up!

Small trout, but hopefully plenty of them.

After that, I'll be dusting off my grayling rod!

Douglas

Sounds a lovely final trip (knees willing). I don't fish outside the season anymore. I actually like the defined seasons, because I get to focus on other things in those months and come back with an appetite in April.

Last edited:

rabmax

Take your midge hood incase the wee buggers are still on the go.
I'm hoping to have a trip up to Rannoch Moor (Scotland) mid Sept, as my last throw of the dice.
Much will depend on how my knees hold up!

Small trout, but hopefully plenty of them.

After that, I'll be dusting off my grayling rod!

Douglas

rabmax

The most memorable days fishing last year.December time my wife had me going to tenerife for 10 days.I new i had to get a day in grayling fishing before going to the sun.It was -5 & my fly reel & rod rings kept freezing up.But the grayling were still feeding.It was cold but dry & I was still fairly warm.I went to tenerife for 10 days.When home i got one more day on the Clyde before going back to work.It was 10oc warmer but raining but was colder than when dry & -5 the time before.Might be a different story in 20 years time when I get to 70(if I make it to that)
For me, that is the worst part of winter grayling fishing - the bloody cold!

Douglas

Latest posts