First cane rod build., eye sizes ?

boorod

Hi guys,
Looking for advice on snake guides, I m putting together the components for my first build, an 8ft 2piece bamboo build that Im going to do over the winter months,, what I am looking for is information on the size off guides to buy,
Im ok with the agate butt ring and the tip ring, going to go for the American hard chrome snakes, Just need the sizes.
thanks
Andy.

volksfish

It depends on the taper, is it a well known taper, usually there’s guide to ring size and spacing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boorod

It depends on the taper, is it a well known taper, usually there’s guide to ring size and spacing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeh, forgot about looking up on the taper chart on some sites, all sorted now, thanks for the reminder on this..

boorod

A mate used a Garrison guide for his build (can't remember the taper) and the guide sizes suggested were for use with a silk line, they were tiny
Sure the American guides are larger/deeper, than the English snakes, read that somewhere.

splinters

American snakes are more a teardrop shape, theoretically holding the line away from the blank. Gives them a higher profile. English twist is more round and holds the line closer in. There's an explanation somewhere in Holland and Holland's website.
I use Seymo 619 ap snakes and Wayne Cattenach's formula, works well for plastic and silk.
1 x 1/0
2 x 1
3 x 2
Remainder in size 3's
Stripper of your choice.
S.

boorod

American snakes are more a teardrop shape, theoretically holding the line away from the blank. Gives them a higher profile. English twist is more round and holds the line closer in. There's an explanation somewhere in Holland and Holland's website.
I use Seymo 619 ap snakes and Wayne Cattenach's formula, works well for plastic and silk.
1 x 1/0
2 x 1
3 x 2
Remainder in size 3's
Stripper of your choice.
S.
Thanks Simon, got everything sorted now apart from a winding check, just awaiting the blank to arrive. looking forward to this over the winter.

boorod

Finished off my first build,
Blank, 8' #5, Tiger flamed, (Agutters)
Handle, Pre-shaped ready to fit, RHW,
just needed drilled out to size,
sanded down to a fine taper at the front.

Reel seat, Walnut burl.
Wraps, Pearsall's Gossamer Silk, Olive No9
Finnish, Spar Varnish.

Quite pleased with my first effort at building a rod, only niggle I had was that I got Aguters to pre-fit the ferrules, and they never filed the end tags down to round them off.

_MG_5389 -1.jpg

Andy.

Latest posts