First couple of tries..

GEK79

Can only get better.. 🤔 having being gifted a vice and accessories from guys on here I took the vice out rhses are my first tries at jam knot and whip finish.. The video I was watching had some feathers lol couldn't find any in garden.. Will whip up a few more later for gentle criticism and help..thanks all
Gary.

Attachments

• 16214301455011279581740651230179.jpg
    16214301455011279581740651230179.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
  • 16214301661268515283410713617567.jpg
    16214301661268515283410713617567.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:

Zugbug

Gary, you really can’t beat listening to experience and watching someone tie, hence the Davy McPhail videos. Start with something simple like a black and peacock spider and keep at it until it looks good enough to catch a fish.
I was round at a fishing buddy’s house recently and he asked me to show him how to tie. His gear was so cheap and nasty I struggled, so the first thing I’d recommend if you’re serious about tying is to use decent materials.
you can’t tie without decent thread, say 8.0 veniard to start with, also a nice runny clear varnish as that will cover up a messy head. Then decent black feathers and a pack of black peacock herl for the body.
I know Capn Fishy just uses a bobbin but to start out you‘ll need a bobbin holder so you can keep decent tension on your thread.
If you do get into fly tying there is a caveat....it becomes addictive, enjoyable, expensive but it gets you lots more fish.

GEK79

Gary, you really can’t beat listening to experience and watching someone tie, hence the Davy McPhail videos. Start with something simple like a black and peacock spider and keep at it until it looks good enough to catch a fish.
I was round at a fishing buddy’s house recently and he asked me to show him how to tie. His gear was so cheap and nasty I struggled, so the first thing I’d recommend if you’re serious about tying is to use decent materials.
you can’t tie without decent thread, say 8.0 veniard to start with, also a nice runny clear varnish as that will cover up a messy head. Then decent black feathers and a pack of black peacock herl for the body.
I know Capn Fishy just uses a bobbin but to start out you‘ll need a bobbin holder so you can keep decent tension on your thread.
If you do get into fly tying there is a caveat....it becomes addictive, enjoyable, expensive but it gets you lots more fish.
I'm just practicing on my wrapping and the basics at the moment once I have more confidence I will look at an actual fly or 2.
That guys seems to show me the basics.. And I understood.

Zugbug

Oh and pretty vital for a half decent fly is a good pair of scissors with a fine point.

wobbly face

Keep at if Gary, don't try anything fancy or intricate. Get use to attaching the thread, the wraps and finish. By finish it could be whip finish, half hitch or such. Then when confident, tie in materials and forget about actually tying a fly for now.
It's a hobby on it own Gary and a great way to pass the time (don't, or try not to get frustrated when it goes wrong). Sit at the vice with a cool beer or whisky, listen to your favourite music and chill tying. The adrenalin rush will hit when you get that first fish on one of your own creations. (y)

GEK79

Keep at if Gary, don't try anything fancy or intricate. Get use to attaching the thread, the wraps and finish. By finish it could be whip finish, half hitch or such. Then when confident, tie in materials and forget about actually tying a fly for now.
It's a hobby on it own Gary and a great way to pass the time (don't, or try not to get frustrated when it goes wrong). Sit at the vice with a cool beer or whisky, listen to your favourite music and chill tying. The adrenalin rush will hit when you get that first fish on one of your own creations. (y)
That's what I'll do until I get more confident.. I have a beer fridge in the shed also.. Happy days 👍👍

jc123

What's the affordable option varnish wise lad.. Please.. 👍👍

just pinch your missus nail varnish, thats what i do

keep at it, first few will look like sh-te, you'l be embarrassed to open your fly box, but then all of a sudden one will make you proud

GEK79

just pinch your missus nail varnish, thats what i do

keep at it, first few will look like sh-te, you'l be embarrassed to open your fly box, but then all of a sudden one will make you proud
Thanks fella.. 👍👍

whitehorses

well done gary youve made a start ,we all had to learn the basics ie thread wraps ,whipfinish
if i may say so its easier if you leave a lenght of thread at the tag end that you can hold, when wrapping down the hook ,hold the tag end tight upwards about 45 deg , after getting a start and the wraps will glide down into place

Latest posts