First couple of tries..

GEK79

well done gary youve made a start ,we all had to learn the basics ie thread wraps ,whipfinish
if i may say so its easier if you leave a lenght of thread at the tag end that you can hold, when wrapping down the hook ,hold the tag end tight upwards about 45 deg , after getting a start and the wraps will glide down into place
Thank you Doobry. Will try again tommorrow thanks very much. 👍👍

Zugbug

Re varnish Gary, I just use any clear top coat out of Asda or Tesco, they give a nice hard finish.

GEK79

Re varnish Gary, I just use any clear top coat out of Asda or Tesco, they give a nice hard finish.
Thanks lad.. Will continue practising and steal some of my wife's.. Thanks lad and all..
Gary

beetlebum

I've tied skinny black buzzers that don't look a lot different than attempt number two, I used super glue instead of epoxy for those Gary.

GEK79

I've tied skinny black buzzers that don't look a lot different than attempt number two, I used super glue instead of epoxy for those Gary.
Jeez lad that's a recipe for disaster my dad's nickname for me is Frank Spencer.. What could go wrong super glue tying thread and hooks.. I've seen some nail varnish in daughters room mine later. 😜😜😜

Perch@1

Can only get better.. 🤔 having being gifted a vice and accessories from guys on here I took the vice out rhses are my first tries at jam knot and whip finish.. The video I was watching had some feathers lol couldn't find any in garden.. Will whip up a few more later for gentle criticism and help..thanks all
Gary.
Well done Gary
Whip finish gives you good finish, I'm trying to learn whip finish by hand but I've heard using tool gives you better finish.

We all learn together, I started on corner unit then over time bought a bench from B&Q, it does the job?

Keep tying Gary

Neil 🎣

GEK79

Well done Gary
Whip finish gives you good finish, I'm trying to learn whip finish by hand but I've heard using tool gives you better finish.

We all learn together, I started on corner unit then over time bought a bench from B&Q, it does the job?

Keep tying Gary

Neil 🎣
Thanks Neil will do.. 👍👍

GEK79

Can only get better.. 🤔 having being gifted a vice and accessories from guys on here I took the vice out rhses are my first tries at jam knot and whip finish.. The video I was watching had some feathers lol couldn't find any in garden.. Will whip up a few more later for gentle criticism and help..thanks all
Gary.
A couple. More today I have some cement stuff that I must have bought at some stage and have given them a coat. Here's today's effort..

Attachments

• IMG_20210520_125245.jpg
    IMG_20210520_125245.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 69

GEK79

I like the middle one Gary👍
Your amongst a few I sent the same. 0icrure to my dad who I think is a great fisherman. He choose the middle one and I've posted on the what did you tie today thread.. Middle one as well.. Any news yet lad.??

beetlebum

Your amongst a few I sent the same. 0icrure to my dad who I think is a great fisherman. He choose the middle one and I've posted on the what did you tie today thread.. Middle one as well.. Any news yet lad.??
It'd catch fish for sure mate. No news yet...just a waiting game at the moment.

Zugbug

The middle one is the only one with a buzzer profile Gary. I’d try a slightly smaller head but more importantly try a thinner thread and try and do touching turns as that way you’ll end up with a neater fly and when you varnish it you’ll notice the difference.
Much better than your first photo, just keep at it. To get to the standard of many of the flies you see posted on the forum tiers have been at it for many years and have tied thousands of flies.
Baby steps Gary, if you keep at it you’ll notice the improvement. We all started just as you are and like any skill the real secret is practice.

GEK79

The middle one is the only one with a buzzer profile Gary. I’d try a slightly smaller head but more importantly try a thinner thread and try and do touching turns as that way you’ll end up with a neater fly and when you varnish it you’ll notice the difference.
Much better than your first photo, just keep at it. To get to the standard of many of the flies you see posted on the forum tiers have been at it for many years and have tied thousands of flies.
Baby steps Gary, if you keep at it you’ll notice the improvement. We all started just as you are and like any skill the real secret is practice.
Thanks a million lad.. Will keep going. Will look for finer thread.. 👍👍

Latest posts