First couple of tries..

Scotty90

So reading through the thread seems I'm using to heavy thread what would the recommended thread be for tying or starting please..
What brand do you use and where do you buy from please.
Thanks as always.
Gary
Just get a few colours of plain old 8/0 uni thread to start with Gary, it’s nice and easy to use and reasonably thin. I’d go for black, fire orange and light Cahill, plenty patterns can be tied with those three.

GEK79

Just get a few colours of plain old 8/0 uni thread to start with Gary, it’s nice and easy to use and reasonably thin. I’d go for black, fire orange and light Cahill, plenty patterns can be tied with those three.
I was actually just looking at those colours.. Thanks Scotty "👍👍

JCP

Gary try the Sawyer Pheasant Tail Nymph.Just pheasant tail and copper wire.Will get you started and catch you a lot of fish.This is a variation on the sawyer nymph.You will find others on YouTube where the fibres are wrapped around the wire like rope which is how the original was tied.

iainmortimer

So reading through the thread seems I'm using to heavy thread what would the recommended thread be for tying or starting please..
Thanks as always.
Gary

If you have never tied before and for fly sizes 14 or bigger, or to quickly build up under body shape: 6/0 uni (think of this as the strong stuff for a true beginner as it won't snap easily)

As you get more used to the amount of tension you need and to get down to #18 without to big a head or thick a body: 8/0 uni will become your most commonly used thread for all but the smallest flies. If confident in what your doing, then ignore the 6/0 and go straight for this size.

For neater #18 and smaller: nanosilk or Sheer 14/0. Nanosilk being slippier can be a pain to use, bleaches quickly in sunlight and doesn't hold die all that well and so black for example will come off on your bobbin holder and stain other threads if you don't clean the tube. I therefore prefer to use Sheer these days even though its not as strong.

Colour wise: spools in olive and black will do the vast majority of flies you want to tie. Add red to that if you want red heads; then just add other colours as you need them.

I am not fussy where I buy it from and so just do a search for the best price.

GEK79

If you have never tied before and for fly sizes 14 or bigger, or to quickly build up under body shape: 6/0 uni (think of this as the strong stuff for a true beginner as it won't snap easily)

As you get more used to the amount of tension you need and to get down to #18 without to big a head or thick a body: 8/0 uni will become your most commonly used thread for all but the smallest flies. If confident in what your doing, then ignore the 6/0 and go straight for this size.

For neater #18 and smaller: nanosilk or Sheer 14/0. Nanosilk being slippier can be a pain to use, bleaches quickly in sunlight and doesn't hold die all that well and so black for example will come off on your bobbin holder and stain other threads if you don't clean the tube. I therefore prefer to use Sheer these days even though its not as strong.

Colour wise: spools in olive and black will do the vast majority of flies you want to tie. Add red to that if you want red heads; then just add other colours as you need them.

I am not fussy where I buy it from and so just do a search for the best price.
Appreciate that Iain and all that have helped.. Will do some goigkibg and see.. Thabks one and all.
Gary

Perch@1

Thanks as always.
Gary
Hi Gary

I use UNI - Thread and for a finer finish I use 8/0 W. Depends, you can gudge it yourself.

I buy Thread from Fastmail Rhymney, around corner from me.

Keep safe Gary.

Neil 🎣

Attachments

• IMG_20210525_215918.jpg
    IMG_20210525_215918.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32

GEK79

Can only get better.. 🤔 having being gifted a vice and accessories from guys on here I took the vice out rhses are my first tries at jam knot and whip finish.. The video I was watching had some feathers lol couldn't find any in garden.. Will whip up a few more later for gentle criticism and help..thanks all
Gary.
Im fairly happy with my jam knot and my wraps so what should be the first fly to try and tie. The sawyers ptn is on the list and will order a few bits and bobs.. What's the first fly you would recommend and what ingredients do I need please.
Gary

beetlebum

Im fairly happy with my jam knot and my wraps so what should be the first fly to try and tie. The sawyers ptn is on the list and will order a few bits and bobs.. What's the first fly you would recommend and what ingredients do I need please.
Gary
If you fancy trying hackled flies a black and peacock spider is a good starting point...and they are absolutely deadly😎

whitehorses

I STARTED WITH A BLACK AND SILVER SPIDER FOR THE RIVERS
black thread wind down the shank with thread to the barb lenght
silverwire rib tie in rib at that point and wind back up the shank to about 3mm from the eye
silver body tie in the silver tinsel and with overlapping turns wind down the shank and back up to tie off point and lock it in position
take your rib and wind up the shank in evenly spaced turns 4 should do it

black hen hackle tie in hackle and give 2 turns and tie in and secure with whip finish

Attachments

• black and silver 12 g.jpg
    black and silver 12 g.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 32104

Gary
I would start with a dry, Gary. A palmer looks easy, but a well tied one is a nice generic pattern and catches everywhere. You only need peacock herl as body and a cock hackle to wind over it. It adds to the experience when you can see your first fly floating before it is taken by a fish.

GEK79

I would start with a dry, Gary. A palmer looks easy, but a well tied one is a nice generic pattern and catches everywhere. You only need peacock herl as body and a cock hackle to wind over it. It adds to the experience when you can see your first fly floating before it is taken by a fish.
I have peacock hearl..will source a cock hackle.. Any colours..?? Thanks a million..

Scotty90

Black and peacock spider with a wee tinsel butt, use black hen or even furnace hen is good. I’m just on the way home from a session on the club ressie and I hammered fish on spiders washing lined with a booby. Ended up with 24.

D

Deleted member 32104

I have peacock hearl..will source a cock hackle.. Any colours..?? Thanks a million..
I think all natural colours will do, Gary, black, all browns, olives and duns. My favourite was a black palmered body with two, three tight turns of white hackle in front and a black head. A little personal tweak to create some contrast, but it worked a treat in all sizes.

Perch@1

Gary
Hi Gary

Black and peacock spider or F fly, other members of forum are helping you what can I say.

That is why I think this is a fantastic helpful forum with good members 👍

Keep turning that thread Gary.

Neil 🎣

iainmortimer

Thanks Iain what materials would that need please... Thanks a million..
Gary, the hackle is called grizzle which is a white/black striped kind of hackle. It could be subbed in for a light dun hackle, white hackle, badger hackle on lots of flies

Griffith’s gnat: https://www.frankenfly.com/griffiths-gnat-step-by-step-by-son-tao/

For a simple Olive, tie in some of the longer hackle fibres as a tail, create an olive body with the thread or some olive dubbing and then wind a head hackle. Tie others with a black body, and with blue rabbit underfur and you’ll have a fine set. i.e. using this method as a guide https://fridaynightflies.com/friday-night-flies-easy-dry-fly/

Latest posts