First couple of tries..

GEK79

Gary, the hackle is called grizzle which is a white/black striped kind of hackle. It could be subbed in for a light dun hackle, white hackle, badger hackle on lots of flies

Griffith’s gnat: https://www.frankenfly.com/griffiths-gnat-step-by-step-by-son-tao/

For a simple Olive, tie in some of the longer hackle fibres as a tail, create an olive body with the thread or some olive dubbing and then wind a head hackle. Tie others with a black body, and with blue rabbit underfur and you’ll have a fine set. i.e. using this method as a guide https://fridaynightflies.com/friday-night-flies-easy-dry-fly/
Will have a look for some whiting grizzle over here and see what I can find. Thabks a million Iain..

iainmortimer

Will have a look for some whiting grizzle over here and see what I can find. Thabks a million Iain..
When it comes to dry fly hackle buy the best you can Gary. It’s one of the most expensive materials you will buy but it is money well spent. You can cut some cost though by looking for a half cape and you may also be able to find Whiting 100’s which are even cheaper - they are basically selected hackles which will tie flies of the same size - often a size 14.

For wet fly hackles you want hen or even Chinese or Indian cock capes which are much cheaper.

GEK79

When it comes to dry fly hackle buy the best you can Gary. It’s one of the most expensive materials you will buy but it is money well spent. You can cut some cost though by looking for a half cape and you may also be able to find Whiting 100’s which are even cheaper - they are basically selected hackles which will tie flies of the same size - often a size 14.

For wet fly hackles you want hen or even Chinese or Indian cock capes which are much cheaper.
I just had a look and they are expensive.. I've a second interview next week so if that comes through I'll buy some grizzle.. Fingers crossed. Thanks Iain..

iainmortimer

I just had a look and they are expensive.. I've a second interview next week so if that comes through I'll buy some grizzle.. Fingers crossed. Thanks Iain..
Good luck Gary. It’s good to know your value is seen just to get that far in the process. For the final stage 🤞

Last edited:

GEK79

Can only get better.. 🤔 having being gifted a vice and accessories from guys on here I took the vice out rhses are my first tries at jam knot and whip finish.. The video I was watching had some feathers lol couldn't find any in garden.. Will whip up a few more later for gentle criticism and help..thanks all
Gary.
So just in shed practising as only way I will get better I was semi delighted UNTIL. I'd overwrapoed the eye of the hook.. Lol.. I will keep this fly as my first try...

Attachments

• IMG_20210618_113748_edit_1426203149273001.jpg
    IMG_20210618_113748_edit_1426203149273001.jpg
    728.2 KB · Views: 48

jaybeegee

So just in shed practising as only way I will get better I was semi delighted UNTIL. I'd overwrapoed the eye of the hook.. Lol.. I will keep this fly as my first try...
Good start Gary, a few too many tail fibres but that would catch fish I bet. Keep it up.
B

Scotty90

Definitely a good start, one golden rule though (for every fly, ever). Never ever cut ends of tailing materials, always use the materials natural taper with feather fibres, tear marabou to shorten it and only ever cut floss tails square.

GEK79

Definitely a good start, one golden rule though (for every fly, ever). Never ever cut ends of tailing materials, always use the materials natural taper with feather fibres, tear marabou to shorten it and only ever cut floss tails square.
Thanks lad.. Noted.. 👍