First couple of tries..

Perch@1

Have a day on the ORIGINAL Lough tommorrow.. Will try a few black and peacocks later today.. 👍👍
Went over Trevil Reservoir Tredegar other day and it's down low but angler still catching Trout

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_095007.jpg
    IMG_20210619_095007.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23

Dean

When I first started last year tying my own flies I sat down for about an hour just whip finishing on a hook to get it right (I still messed up from time to time but that was just not leaving enough room at the eye). I watched a few guys on Youtube (McPhail, Mak and Lindsay Simpson) but rather than copy their flies I just watched their technique.

I started off tying lures which involved a marabou tail and wing and a bit of wire and not much else. It took around 4 months or so of me tying to really get any sort of 'decent looking' flies tied (and hours of youtube tutorials). I still mess up now and again with leaving enough room at the eye (especially when I am tying a fly for the first time). At this time of year though you might want to try tying a few pheasant tail CDC shuttlecocks. They are exceptionally easy to tie (especially when you tie in the CDC first) and absolutely the most rewarding when fishing with them and you catch one on them. It is also a good gateway fly to get into tying dry flies and getting used to the CDC especially when it rolls a bit (best advice is to wax the thread twice, once when putting down the first layer and then again when you are trying in the CDC).

GEK79

When I first started last year tying my own flies I sat down for about an hour just whip finishing on a hook to get it right (I still messed up from time to time but that was just not leaving enough room at the eye). I watched a few guys on Youtube (McPhail, Mak and Lindsay Simpson) but rather than copy their flies I just watched their technique.

I started off tying lures which involved a marabou tail and wing and a bit of wire and not much else. It took around 4 months or so of me tying to really get any sort of 'decent looking' flies tied (and hours of youtube tutorials). I still mess up now and again with leaving enough room at the eye (especially when I am tying a fly for the first time). At this time of year though you might want to try tying a few pheasant tail CDC shuttlecocks. They are exceptionally easy to tie (especially when you tie in the CDC first) and absolutely the most rewarding when fishing with them and you catch one on them. It is also a good gateway fly to get into tying dry flies and getting used to the CDC especially when it rolls a bit (best advice is to wax the thread twice, once when putting down the first layer and then again when you are trying in the CDC).
Many thanks lad...

Perch@1

That's how I started Dean, reading books coppying movements from U-Tube watching Mcphail all good info.
Pheasant tail CDC shuttlecocks not tried that yet but I'll get round to it. And it's all good advice from you and everybody on this forum, learning and love it Dean.

Catch you again.

Neil 🎣

Dean

That's how I started Dean, reading books coppying movements from U-Tube watching Mcphail all good info.
Pheasant tail CDC shuttlecocks not tried that yet but I'll get round to it. And it's all good advice from you and everybody on this forum, learning and love it Dean.

Catch you again.

Neil 🎣

There is absolutely nothing to the fly. First off tie down the thread and back up to a few mil away from the eye, tie down the CDC (four feathers or so depending on the quality).
Bring the thread down to near the bottom and tie in the pheasant tail down to where you want to start the wraps (tie it in at the tips). You can tie in a ribbing if you want i'd avoid wire because of the weight but these flies tend to last a fair few fish either way. Wrap up to where you tied in the CDC and go back a mil or so to ensure it is tied in.
Dub on some seals fur, hares ear or if you want to be economical you can take the waste piece of CDC and take the feathers from it and dub it on. You don't want to put on that much, just enough so there is a thorax.
Bring the thread to the front avoiding catching in any CDC feathers and whip finish. You can add a touch of varnish etc to the thread while doing it to secure it. I always do a double whip finish, first time with the varnish on the thread and a second time without so the varnish barely touches the CDC.

My father pretty much religiously uses this fly and ties it in all different shapes and sizes. I find it a good gateway fly because of its versatility. Instead of the shuttlecock, you can do all the same steps but dub on the seals fur down the fly, bring the CDC feathers back and using the CDC as a thorax cover, you can turn it into an F-Fly so that the fly sits flat on the water imitating a caddis etc rather than an emerger.

Attachments

• 19E3FA66-28D7-4AD3-9A81-891FA41D0D3B.jpeg
    19E3FA66-28D7-4AD3-9A81-891FA41D0D3B.jpeg
    997.8 KB · Views: 50

Perch@1

There is absolutely nothing to the fly. First off tie down the thread and back up to a few mil away from the eye, tie down the CDC (four feathers or so depending on the quality).
Bring the thread down to near the bottom and tie in the pheasant tail down to where you want to start the wraps (tie it in at the tips). You can tie in a ribbing if you want i'd avoid wire because of the weight but these flies tend to last a fair few fish either way. Wrap up to where you tied in the CDC and go back a mil or so to ensure it is tied in.
Dub on some seals fur, hares ear or if you want to be economical you can take the waste piece of CDC and take the feathers from it and dub it on. You don't want to put on that much, just enough so there is a thorax.
Bring the thread to the front avoiding catching in any CDC feathers and whip finish. You can add a touch of varnish etc to the thread while doing it to secure it. I always do a double whip finish, first time with the varnish on the thread and a second time without so the varnish barely touches the CDC.

My father pretty much religiously uses this fly and ties it in all different shapes and sizes. I find it a good gateway fly because of its versatility. Instead of the shuttlecock, you can do all the same steps but dub on the seals fur down the fly, bring the CDC feathers back and using the CDC as a thorax cover, you can turn it into an F-Fly so that the fly sits flat on the water imitating a caddis etc rather than an emerger.
Dean lovely fly and good that it stays in your family, my dad was never an angler but a fantastic man.
Keep tying Dean you can teach your children.

Neil 🎣

GEK79

Can only get better.. 🤔 having being gifted a vice and accessories from guys on here I took the vice out rhses are my first tries at jam knot and whip finish.. The video I was watching had some feathers lol couldn't find any in garden.. Will whip up a few more later for gentle criticism and help..thanks all
Gary.
So an attempt at a scruffy black and peacock I will use less feather and turns for next one as kindly pointed out by a friend really enjoying... Thanks as always..
Gary

Attachments

• IMG_20210625_080611_edit_1591396586365503.jpg
    IMG_20210625_080611_edit_1591396586365503.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210625_080616_edit_1591375818491027.jpg
    IMG_20210625_080616_edit_1591375818491027.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 34
D

Deleted member 32104

So an attempt at a scruffy black and peacock I will use less feather and turns for next one as kindly pointed out by a friend really enjoying... Thanks as always..
Gary
I like scruffy looks, Gary, and the fish love it. That'll do the business, I'm sure.

bignedkelly

Gary
That's the great thing about tying your own, you can try really scruffy through to really sparse and find out what works best on the water you fish.
You will also develop a sense of what you like to see in a fly and can fiddle with patterns to include these bits and bobs and give them a try.
Weather it makes a damn bit difference to the fish is up for debate but I am convinced that any fly that an angler has confidence in for whatever reason will have a far better chance.

keep up the good work

GEK79

That's the great thing about tying your own, you can try really scruffy through to really sparse and find out what works best on the water you fish.
You will also develop a sense of what you like to see in a fly and can fiddle with patterns to include these bits and bobs and give them a try.
Weather it makes a damn bit difference to the fish is up for debate but I am convinced that any fly that an angler has confidence in for whatever reason will have a far better chance.

keep up the good work
Thanks lad. Will see. What happens Sunday... Thanks a million..

Perch@1

Gary
Well done Gary, fish your flys and see what takes you get then adjust your tying to site.

Neil 🎣

GEK79

Can only get better.. 🤔 having being gifted a vice and accessories from guys on here I took the vice out rhses are my first tries at jam knot and whip finish.. The video I was watching had some feathers lol couldn't find any in garden.. Will whip up a few more later for gentle criticism and help..thanks all
Gary.
So practice today has lead to a hybrid nymph and a black and peacock I quite like..
What do you think.. Any feedback very helpful..

Attachments

• IMG_20210627_171815_edit_1625143230430666.jpg
    IMG_20210627_171815_edit_1625143230430666.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210627_171818_edit_1625120262975982.jpg
    IMG_20210627_171818_edit_1625120262975982.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210627_171857_edit_1625100538980152.jpg
    IMG_20210627_171857_edit_1625100538980152.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210627_171922_edit_1625066760780678.jpg
    IMG_20210627_171922_edit_1625066760780678.jpg
    950.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210627_171926_edit_1625052377072347.jpg
    IMG_20210627_171926_edit_1625052377072347.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36

morayfisher

My daughter gave me some uv resin for fly tying although it’s intended use was for nails. I asked her why the ‘base coat’ seems to stay very slightly tacky and she says it’s to allow the ‘top coat’ to adhere to it better. I don’t know if the same applies to nail varnishes but it sounds reasonable. Build layers with base coat if needed but finish with top coat.

GEK79

My daughter gave me some uv resin for fly tying although it’s intended use was for nails. I asked her why the ‘base coat’ seems to stay very slightly tacky and she says it’s to allow the ‘top coat’ to adhere to it better. I don’t know if the same applies to nail varnishes but it sounds reasonable. Build layers with base coat if needed but finish with top coat.
Is there a rule of thumb or rough idea for layers. And your daughter has logical sense.. 👍👍

Scotty90

So practice today has lead to a hybrid nymph and a black and peacock I quite like..
What do you think.. Any feedback very helpful..
Getting there Gary, well done mate. One thing though, remember I said about cutting tails in one of the posts on this thread? Well the same applies to hackles, don’t cut hackles to size with scissors just use a smaller hackle or if you don’t have any smaller ones tie the hackle in by the tip of the feather instead of the base, this will let you use the taper on the feather to get a couple of turns of smaller hackle in on the black and peacocks. Be gentle with hackles if tying in by the tips though as the break quite a bit easier.