First couple of tries..

GEK79

Getting there Gary, well done mate. One thing though, remember I said about cutting tails in one of the posts on this thread? Well the same applies to hackles, don’t cut hackles to size with scissors just use a smaller hackle or if you don’t have any smaller ones tie the hackle in by the tip of the feather instead of the base, this will let you use the taper on the feather to get a couple of turns of smaller hackle in on the black and peacocks. Be gentle with hackles if tying in by the tips though as the break quite a bit easier.
Thanks lad did listen to the tail.. Will listen for hackles.. Thabks lad and all.. 👍👍

Perch@1

So practice today has lead to a hybrid nymph and a black and peacock I quite like..
What do you think.. Any feedback very helpful..
I like that nymph with tail GEK79 keep at it. I'm not experienced enough to give you advice, sorry but keep trying.

Neil 🎣

whitehorses

hi gary just seen your pics ,its a good attempt for a novice ,but your trying to run before you walk ,you said you can start and whip finish ,so i think you need to learn thread control ,
start with your dam knot and practise tying a full touching layer of thread along the lenght of the hookshank ,to do this hold the waste end up at 45 deg and wind the thread around the hook shank in touching turns all along the shank try to avoid overlapping thread ,your looking for a single layer with no lumps or bumps ,when youve mastered this then we can add a tail

GEK79

hi gary just seen your pics ,its a good attempt for a novice ,but your trying to run before you walk ,you said you can start and whip finish ,so i think you need to learn thread control ,
start with your dam knot and practise tying a full touching layer of thread along the lenght of the hookshank ,to do this hold the waste end up at 45 deg and wind the thread around the hook shank in touching turns all along the shank try to avoid overlapping thread ,your looking for a single layer with no lumps or bumps ,when youve mastered this then we can add a tail
I do have difficulty in seeing the thread possibly need a magnifier as specs no use will practice tommorrow.. Thanks as always Doobry..

whitehorses

I do have difficulty in seeing the thread possibly need a magnifier as specs no use will practice tommorrow.. Thanks as always Doobry..
i use specs for my tying , its the technique im talking about as you wrap the thread along the shank holding the waste tag end taut at 45 deg as you wrap the thread it will slide down into position

Perch@1

To be honest Gary and doobrysnatcher I use my glasses and a magnifying glass. Good tying.

Neil 🎣

iainmortimer

Cheap tip Gary, take a fly down to somewhere that you can buy reading glasses off the shelf. Play with the different magnifications until you find the one that works best for you at the distance you tie your fly and you have a cheap option that takes up little space ;)

GEK79

Cheap tip Gary, take a fly down to somewhere that you can buy reading glasses off the shelf. Play with the different magnifications until you find the one that works best for you at the distance you tie your fly and you have a cheap option that takes up little space ;)
Thanks Iain.. Its all a learning curve and with all the help here I shouldn't go to wrong. 👍👍

jaybeegee

Good tip that Gary. I have a few pairs including some x4 lenses for fiddly stuff, they took a bit of getting used to and first time of wearing I knocked an open bottle of glue over 🙄, also don’t forget to take them off before walking about. 😁
B

Perch@1

Good tip that Gary. I have a few pairs including some x4 lenses for fiddly stuff, they took a bit of getting used to and first time of wearing I knocked an open bottle of glue over 🙄, also don’t forget to take them off before walking about. 😁
B
Good advice jaybeegee I use glasses but like you said just for tying, use a stronger pair. Thank you.

Neil 🎣

GEK79

Can only get better.. 🤔 having being gifted a vice and accessories from guys on here I took the vice out rhses are my first tries at jam knot and whip finish.. The video I was watching had some feathers lol couldn't find any in garden.. Will whip up a few more later for gentle criticism and help..thanks all
Gary.
A bit happier with a size 16..
No tails no cutting or trimming few wraps 1.5 if memory serves..

Attachments

• IMG_20210701_080409.jpg
    IMG_20210701_080409.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210701_080343.jpg
    IMG_20210701_080343.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20210701_080222.jpg
    IMG_20210701_080222.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 47

Scotty90

A bit happier with a size 16..
No tails no cutting or trimming few wraps 1.5 if memory serves..
Small hooks are hard to tie on Gary and you’ve tied a fish’able fly that will surely catch a trout. Good man keep it up.

The only advice I’d add is to aim for closer to the eye of the hook with the hackle and use less thread wraps at the head. Practice will get you there.

GEK79

Th
Small hooks are hard to tie on Gary and you’ve tied a fish’able fly that will surely catch a trout. Good man keep it up.

The only advice I’d add is to aim for closer to the eye of the hook with the hackle and use less thread wraps at the head. Practice will get you there.
Thanks pal I took it further back as previous attempts were to close. And less wraps on the head thanks fella may try it Sunday.
Thanks lad..

Latest posts