First couple of tries..

The Endrick Spider

Gary, you really can’t beat listening to experience and watching someone tie, hence the Davy McPhail videos. Start with something simple like a black and peacock spider and keep at it until it looks good enough to catch a fish.
I was round at a fishing buddy’s house recently and he asked me to show him how to tie. His gear was so cheap and nasty I struggled, so the first thing I’d recommend if you’re serious about tying is to use decent materials.
you can’t tie without decent thread, say 8.0 veniard to start with, also a nice runny clear varnish as that will cover up a messy head. Then decent black feathers and a pack of black peacock herl for the body.
I know Capn Fishy just uses a bobbin but to start out you‘ll need a bobbin holder so you can keep decent tension on your thread.
If you do get into fly tying there is a caveat....it becomes addictive, enjoyable, expensive but it gets you lots more fish.
Good sound advice but it does not have to be that expensive. I live out in the countryside therefore whenever I am out walking the dogs or going for runs on the bike always have with me a few small poly bags, scissors and a knife. Very rarely do I come back without having something that cannot be used in fly tying. Also have a friend that keeps bantam cockerels/hens so there are always valuable feathers coming from there. The swans, geese, ducks, herons have all started to moult so here is another supply of feathers being washed up when out fishing. All these highly priced goods we see on sale just to make fancy flies is just a waste of money. I have been fly fishing since 1958 and although these fancy flies still catch fish, have yet to see any in the stomach contents of a fish. Come to think of it, have yet to see an Endrick Spider in a fishes stomach but must have caught hundreds of sea trout, the occasional salmon and thousands of trout on it. This is a now world famous fly that I created back in the early 1970,s and as it did then and still does today, it only costs me the price of the hook to tie. Up until the mid 1980,s its first name was my 'Free Fly', it was the late Peter Mackenzie-Philps of Wetherby that gave it a proper name for he was advertising it in his catalogue. When the flies get badly chewed up the fly is stripped down, the hook recycled where the hook is then ready to be used again. I can't remember when I actually last had to by hooks but it definitely was not in this century and don't expect to be buying them in the near future either.

GEK79

Gary, you really can’t beat listening to experience and watching someone tie, hence the Davy McPhail videos. Start with something simple like a black and peacock spider and keep at it until it looks good enough to catch a fish.
I was round at a fishing buddy’s house recently and he asked me to show him how to tie. His gear was so cheap and nasty I struggled, so the first thing I’d recommend if you’re serious about tying is to use decent materials.
you can’t tie without decent thread, say 8.0 veniard to start with, also a nice runny clear varnish as that will cover up a messy head. Then decent black feathers and a pack of black peacock herl for the body.
I know Capn Fishy just uses a bobbin but to start out you‘ll need a bobbin holder so you can keep decent tension on your thread.
If you do get into fly tying there is a caveat....it becomes addictive, enjoyable, expensive but it gets you lots more fish.
I have some utc 70 and 140 in black and olive.. Decent thread I think and I'm working on my little black and peacock... Thanks lad will have a look at the video as always thank you..

GEK79

Good sound advice but it does not have to be that expensive. I live out in the countryside therefore whenever I am out walking the dogs or going for runs on the bike always have with me a few small poly bags, scissors and a knife. Very rarely do I come back without having something that cannot be used in fly tying. Also have a friend that keeps bantam cockerels/hens so there are always valuable feathers coming from there. The swans, geese, ducks, herons have all started to moult so here is another supply of feathers being washed up when out fishing. All these highly priced goods we see on sale just to make fancy flies is just a waste of money. I have been fly fishing since 1958 and although these fancy flies still catch fish, have yet to see any in the stomach contents of a fish. Come to think of it, have yet to see an Endrick Spider in a fishes stomach but must have caught hundreds of sea trout, the occasional salmon and thousands of trout on it. This is a now world famous fly that I created back in the early 1970,s and as it did then and still does today, it only costs me the price of the hook to tie. Up until the mid 1980,s its first name was my 'Free Fly', it was the late Peter Mackenzie-Philps of Wetherby that gave it a proper name for he was advertising it in his catalogue. When the flies get badly chewed up the fly is stripped down, the hook recycled where the hook is then ready to be used again. I can't remember when I actually last had to by hooks but it definitely was not in this century and don't expect to be buying them in the near future either.
I do have friends that hunt so will see what feathers I can gain... Thanks lad..

GEK79

Can only get better.. 🤔 having being gifted a vice and accessories from guys on here I took the vice out rhses are my first tries at jam knot and whip finish.. The video I was watching had some feathers lol couldn't find any in garden.. Will whip up a few more later for gentle criticism and help..thanks all
Gary.
An attempt at a Griffiths gnat.. Said it was a basic fly and a spider I think.. Please let me know what you think or don't lol..
Gary

Attachments

• IMG_20210707_185344.jpg
    IMG_20210707_185344.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210707_185349.jpg
    IMG_20210707_185349.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20210707_185432.jpg
    IMG_20210707_185432.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210707_185436.jpg
    IMG_20210707_185436.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20210707_185439.jpg
    IMG_20210707_185439.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48

jaybeegee

An attempt at a Griffiths gnat.. Said it was a basic fly and a spider I think.. Please let me know what you think or don't lol..
Gary
You are really coming on Gary, both of those will catch fish and I’d be happy to use them. The spider hackle is a bit long for my taste but it sits very nicely….keep at it. Are you pleased with them?
B

GEK79

You are really coming on Gary, both of those will catch fish and I’d be happy to use them. The spider hackle is a bit long for my taste but it sits very nicely….keep at it. Are you pleased with them?
B
I did think the hackle was a bit long first go am happy the Griffiths is a fly I enjoy.. Will await a test.. Thabks all..

Scotty90

Griffiths gnat is pretty good Gary, might need to clip the underside of the hackle for it not to sit too high on the water but good job lad. The spider is also quite good, less turns of ribbing, even spacing and a shorter hackle and it would be spot on. You’re getting better every time mate. Well done 👍🏻

GEK79

Griffiths gnat is pretty good Gary, might need to clip the underside of the hackle for it not to sit too high on the water but good job lad. The spider is also quite good, less turns of ribbing, even spacing and a shorter hackle and it would be spot on. You’re getting better every time mate. Well done 👍🏻
Thanks as always.. The spider was just trying to get the hackle right.. Didn't quite.. And trim the underside of the gnat.. Will do lad many many thanks.

GEK79

Can only get better.. 🤔 having being gifted a vice and accessories from guys on here I took the vice out rhses are my first tries at jam knot and whip finish.. The video I was watching had some feathers lol couldn't find any in garden.. Will whip up a few more later for gentle criticism and help..thanks all
Gary.
Progress I think..

Attachments

• IMG_20210901_175114_edit_247379992358605.jpg
    IMG_20210901_175114_edit_247379992358605.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 40

Perch@1

I have some utc 70 and 140 in black and olive.. Decent thread I think and I'm working on my little black and peacock... Thanks lad will have a look at the video as always thank you..
Well done Gary lovely fly's. Good comments from all on forum.

I will not leave any judgments because I'm Learning myself and some of those flies I've not tryed tying myself.

Keep it up Gary.

Neil 🎣

GEK79

Th
Well done Gary lovely fly's. Good comments from all on forum.

I will not leave any judgments because I'm Learning myself and some of those flies I've not tryed tying myself.

Keep it up Gary.

Neil 🎣
Thanks Neil all of us are learning.. 👍👍