First ever rainbow from the river

antd

I caught my first ever river rainbow on the Derbyshire Wye on Saturday gone past.First session fly fishing on a river,but I had a guide showing me the ropes.Very different from reservoir fishing as expected,but a lot of excitement.Managed to net this one lovely rainbow, but lost another big one and at least three of the other hook ups I had were brownies. Cannot wait for my next session on the river.

38218E04-C678-4088-AD5D-EFD39CB0EBCC.jpeg

GEK79

I caught my first ever river rainbow on the Derbyshire Wye on Saturday gone past.First session fly fishing on a river,but I had a guide showing me the ropes.Very different from reservoir fishing as expected,but a lot of excitement.Managed to net this one lovely rainbow, but lost another big one and at least three of the other hook ups I had were brownies. Cannot wait for my next session on the river.

View attachment 28791

Gorgeous looking fish.. I'd never heard of a river rainbow.. Glad you enjoyed stay safe..

antd

Sorry for any confusion. I presumed that you would interpret my reference to “river rainbow” as a rainbow trout found and borne of the river as opposed to a stocked rainbow trout usually found in small stillwaters and reservoirs. Please note that I am aware that some stocked rainbow trout do indeed make their way to the river.

Last edited:

GEK79

I did understand your reference I had never heard of a rainbow River trout that was all something new to me..