First ever rainbow from the river

glueman

Unfortunetly due to being a Pensioner I can no longer afford to fish on the Wye. It was always a thing with my pal that the first week of the season would see us up at the peacock then again later in the season but at £150 a day it is out of my reach

sean freeman

Unfortunetly due to being a Pensioner I can no longer afford to fish on the Wye. It was always a thing with my pal that the first week of the season would see us up at the peacock then again later in the season but at £150 a day it is out of my reach
It is a shame that they done away with day tickets and I’m curious to see the effect it will have as I’d say 50% of the membership don’t fish it regularly anyway. Way less pressure on the fish now so I’m excited to see the results but I can sympathise with this who can’t visit anymore.
The season ticket I get excludes high season as I fish the western Irish loughs at that time normally so it costs £725 but when you divide that by how many times you’ve been it’s gets lower and lower. With lockdown I’d say I’ve only been forty odd times this season, way down on my usual number but that still works out at £18 which is what most stocked waters charge.

roger h 10

You've summed it up better than I did, they’re awesome fish and I value them in the same way I value the brownies and brookies Scottish lairds placed into remote lochs for the adventurous amongst us to enjoy! Early season they are beautiful as they are still in their darker spawning colours and they all have the characteristic orange tip to the dorsal. I’d go so far as to say they’re the best fighting fish in U.K. rivers. A one pound fish will strip a lot of line from your reel and anything over two pounds does what it wants whilst you hang on!
Early season fish below.

View attachment 30448
There were also Rainbow's in the Lesser Stour a few years ago that bred naturally. I saw one when I was a teenager, a very different fish to the stocked ones, I don't agree with stocking triploids in to our rivers,however these rainbow's that were first introduced many years ago are definitely a benefit.
Unfortunately the Stour population have disappeared due to tne river drying up due to over abstraction.

cgaines10

I don’t see how you can disagree when you’ve never had a wild bow? They’re absolutely feral fighters compared to the flabby stocked fish in most reservoirs. I’ve had plenty of sea trout both accidental and targeted and although I’ll admit there’s not much between them, the wild rainbows are marginally better fighters in my experience.

True, but I could also say the quality of sea trout you've had wouldn't compare.

Maybe i'll try it one time & let you know (y)

Sea trout I had the pleasure of netting over a week ago...

Wear sea trout1.jpg

Wear sea trout2.jpg

sean freeman

Stonking fish pal! Not had a sea trout of that caliber but then I’ve never gone after them here in the U.K. as there aren’t many places local. Maybe one day! I’m more comparing like for like size wise, I’d be interested to know what a similar sized steelhead would fight like considering they have a reputation for snapping rods? Hope I’ll find out in BC the year after next.

cgaines10

Stonking fish pal! Not had a sea trout of that caliber but then I’ve never gone after them here in the U.K. as there aren’t many places local. Maybe one day! I’m more comparing like for like size wise, I’d be interested to know what a similar sized steelhead would fight like considering they have a reputation for snapping rods? Hope I’ll find out in BC the year after next.

The average for the wear I would say is between 6 -12lb.

Yeah i'd love to find out myself, caught a good few salmon and they're easily the strongest fighting game fish I've came across, but i'd love to compare them to steelheads! they look a great fight & i've heard some insane stories. I'm hoping to get a trip out to BC too (y) 🎣

sean freeman

The average for the wear I would say is between 6 -12lb.

Yeah i'd love to find out myself, caught a good few salmon and they're easily the strongest fighting game fish I've came across, but i'd love to compare them to steelheads! they look a great fight & i've heard some insane stories. I'm hoping to get a trip out to BC too (y) 🎣
Jesus, a lot of hours between fish or does it get a good run? It’s going on the ever growing list of places to fish in the U.K. if I ever find the time! 😅
Hoping to get a big bull trout in BC too, don’t know why but char just fascinated me and that one is the baddest around! If I manage to get to the wear I’ll leave the 4wt at home!

ohanzee

The Wye brownies are awesome too, the river as a whole has become more and more prolific over the last twenty years since stocking was put to rest.

This is a powerful sentence, its not so long ago many would have argued against it, and now you have a river showing how healthy a population of trout can be when you stop stocking.........and its got quality rainbows too! can you get a better example for ending stocking? :)

That sea trout is nails by the way, another healthy population right there.

cgaines10

Jesus, a lot of hours between fish or does it get a good run? It’s going on the ever growing list of places to fish in the U.K. if I ever find the time!
Hoping to get a big bull trout in BC too, don’t know why but char just fascinated me and that one is the baddest around! If I manage to get to the wear I’ll leave the 4wt at home!

Yeah anywhere from 20-30k a year.

Yeah lol you’d end up just killing them trying to get them in. Get in touch if you ever fancy it

I like the look of artic char

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sean freeman

Yeah anywhere from 20-30k a year.

Yeah lol you’d end up just killing them trying to get them in. Get in touch if you ever fancy it

I like the look of artic char

I didn’t know any rivers still produced sea trout like that! I’ll be up for sure, you’ll have to try the Wye too, you might actually like the wild bows ;)

Brookies are my favourite but Arctic char are close, really want to catch one from a Scottish loch next season.

SirHarryLewis

Got it, so they’ve never stocked rainbows since that incident only browns surprising that they lasted all that time then. I guess with added stocked browns the genetic pool of the wild fish will have been pushed out.

Each to their own I suppose. I couldn’t think of anything worse than pulling a rainbow from a river.

I can’t comment on their fight, but I’d put sea trout above them everyday of the week. Although I don’t catch 1lb sea trout

Worse? Tonight I got no trout.... I did pull in a perch though. My second ever and I'm fishing the river 30 years.

I hate the look of them. Would prefer a rainbow any day

Latest posts