First fly!

JobberDun

Brand new to fly tying so need advice please.

I did the 'unmentionable' and received a fly tying kit for Christmas.

To be honest, I think it will suffice for my first fly tying adventures.

I am aiming to complete my first ever dry fly ready to use for when the weather improves.

What advice\books\videos should I be looking at?

Russ

suzzy buzzer

This is a useful book if you are new to it. A reasonable section on method / techniques, and straightforward contemporary patterns that work.

arkle

Join yout nearest branch of The Fly Dressers Guild, it's THE best & fastest way to learn, Just drop down a section below on the main page f.f.i.

running bear

North County Dublin, but always a South Down man
Any of the Peter Gathercole books are great starting out. I’d also agree on Simple Flies as suggested above. Davie McPhail is great for not just patterns but techniques.
When you are starting it’s about feel and understanding how materials handle rather than patterns. There’s a lot to be said for tying a dozen plain GHRE’s and a dozen very simple PTNs. You will quickly learn feel and co-ordination, so forget about winging and even hackles until you get this feel, they will come easier when you’re in control of the thread.

flyman1975

Brand new to fly tying so need advice please.

I did the 'unmentionable' and received a fly tying kit for Christmas.

To be honest, I think it will suffice for my first fly tying adventures.

I am aiming to complete my first ever dry fly ready to use for when the weather improves.

What advice\books\videos should I be looking at?

Russ
River fishing or stocked

davefish

All advice above is good. I'd like to add another possible angle, and that is Charlie Cravens basic fly tying book. Oh what a book if your new. Honestly it's really good and Charlie speaks in a way we can all grasp. Do try to tye, it's not hard really.