First of the season on the Mondego, Coimbra, Portugal

Iberian

After a very wet Winter and Spring with very high water coupled with Coronavirus lockdown, it was great to be back on the river on a warm Spring evening with medium-high but clear water and fish showing everywhere. In the space of a couple of hours I caught several Barbel, the best one is in the photo and weighed about 4 lb along with a nice mullet of about 2.5 lb. They all fell to a size 14 fluo-orange tungsten bead-head nymph with peacock herl body and olive cdc hackle and tail fished under a yarn indicator.
Mullet May 2020.jpgBarbel May 2020.jpg

Last edited:

JayP

One of my all time favourite rivers to fish although I believe my main spots were further upstream than where you are, one day's fishing and the species included pike, barbel, shad and sea trout. Never a dull moment, and still to this day I don't know what the unseen monster I hooked and lost was in one of the Penacova weirpoools

Iberian

I always wondered if seatrout could make it up, it would need to be during the winter-spring months when the water temps are not too high. There is now a new fish-ladder in Coimbra so it should make it easier for them to migrate. Lots of dead shad around at the moment, some of them real crackers that looked around 6-8 lb. I haven´t had the chance yet to fish up at Penacova, but there are some amazing pools and riffles in that part of the river. I was there in late spring last year with some friends for the local delicacy, lampreia (lamprey). Marinated in wine and garlic and stewed with rice with the flesh turning Bible-black in colour - people either love it or hate it!

roger h 10

My Son has just started up his own business guiding in Portugal, unfortunately he only had one paying client before the lockdown started out there so he used the time finding his way round out there.
The fishing has been brilliant with up to 22 mullet in a day on fly, a double hook up of a Barbel and a mullet, Barbel up to 16 pounds and a 13lb River Carp caught twice in 3 days.
The variety of fish out there is incredible.

GEK79

One of my all time favourite rivers to fish although I believe my main spots were further upstream than where you are, one day's fishing and the species included pike, barbel, shad and sea trout. Never a dull moment, and still to this day I don't know what the unseen monster I hooked and lost was in one of the Penacova weirpoools
You'd have to go back and try again.. 😉

Iberian

Sixteen pounds of Barbel, that´s scary! In my experience so far, a three-pounder feels like you´ve hooked the proverbial runaway train....... This was one taken just before dark during a hatch of sedges last Thursday. The river was dropping nicely after hydroelectic generation. The fish were going after the pupa subsurface in shallow fast-flowing glides just above some rough water and it was tough getting a drag-free presentation for more than a few seconds at a time. Before I got this one, I had my hook strightened out by a real beast.....

Attachments

roger h 10

Sixteen pounds of Barbel, that´s scary! In my experience so far, a three-pounder feels like you´ve hooked the proverbial runaway train....... This was one taken just before dark during a hatch of sedges last Thursday. The river was dropping nicely after hydroelectic generation. The fish were going after the pupa subsurface in shallow fast-flowing glides just above some rough water and it was tough getting a drag-free presentation for more than a few seconds at a time. Before I got this one, I had my hook strightened out by a real beast.....
I think my Son has put some photos on his website 'Wild Fishing Portugal' might be worth a look.

JayP

I always wondered if seatrout could make it up, it would need to be during the winter-spring months when the water temps are not too high. There is now a new fish-ladder in Coimbra so it should make it easier for them to migrate. Lots of dead shad around at the moment, some of them real crackers that looked around 6-8 lb. I haven´t had the chance yet to fish up at Penacova, but there are some amazing pools and riffles in that part of the river. I was there in late spring last year with some friends for the local delicacy, lampreia (lamprey). Marinated in wine and garlic and stewed with rice with the flesh turning Bible-black in colour - people either love it or hate it!
4lb 9oz from the pool at the confluence with the Alva, a right pain in the butt to get to but there are some incredible fish in it

IMG_20160601_184132 (3).jpg

Latest posts