First pike, first fly

pedros

Well, absolutely buzzing....
Caught my first pike on the fly using the first pike fly I have ever tied, pattern based on Paul Monaghan's fuzzy minnow, last night. Also caught within 50m as the crow flies from home.
Must say I am lucky enough to shut the PC down at 4.30 then go and spend an hour on the canal during the current lockdown. I'd not fished the canal for probably 10 years, but now discovered drop shotting and micro jigging also - street fishing. This is real mobile fishing and you can cover a lot of water in such a small space of time. A lot of finesse to it too, especially in winter.
Anyways, with some lock repairs currently taking place there is no boat traffic so the clarity of the water is uncharacteristically clear, hence giving the fly a go for pike. Leaving the drop shot rod at home this weekend...

Shangerlad

Had 2x 2hour sessions on the canal 2 weeks ago, during flood time, it was that thick coffee colour. Not a touch. well done on your pike, wasn't after pike meself. Hopefully roach/perch. tried squirmy and small nymph. Water clearing up now more chance next week.

pedros

Had 2x 2hour sessions on the canal 2 weeks ago, during flood time, it was that thick coffee colour. Not a touch. well done on your pike, wasn't after pike meself. Hopefully roach/perch. tried squirmy and small nymph. Water clearing up now more chance next week.
Keep it to yourself 😉 but these work on a fly rod for perch when fishing the canal. Dead slow on a grub or jig hook with point up and use a leader that sinks to pull the soft plastic down
https://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.u...2-polaris-green-pumpkin-blue-blue-ruby-16pcs/

Any of the Polaris or Crazy Fish tipsy patterns are worth investigating.
Always tricky if there is thick colour, but think dark silhouette.

Perch@1

Well, absolutely buzzing....
Caught my first pike on the fly using the first pike fly I have ever tied, pattern based on Paul Monaghan's fuzzy minnow, last night. Also caught within 50m as the crow flies from home.
Must say I am lucky enough to shut the PC down at 4.30 then go and spend an hour on the canal during the current lockdown. I'd not fished the canal for probably 10 years, but now discovered drop shotting and micro jigging also - street fishing. This is real mobile fishing and you can cover a lot of water in such a small space of time. A lot of finesse to it too, especially in winter.
Anyways, with some lock repairs currently taking place there is no boat traffic so the clarity of the water is uncharacteristically clear, hence giving the fly a go for pike. Leaving the drop shot rod at home this weekend...
Good on you Pedro's tying your own Pike fly and getting take on it.
Drop shooting micro jigging is another area I've not tried, but fancy it.
Never, mind some day.

Fish safe and happy, Neil 🎣