First pike on the fly...😂

beetlebum

I nipped out for a couple of hours after work today to fly fish for perch (by design), and test some jig flies I'd tied up. I managed one perch (hurrah) and the smallest pike I've ever seen... I don't think it counts😂. Lovely fishing on a fibreglass IMG_20201014_171834~2.jpgIMG_20201014_175536~2.jpg5 weight though.

cgaines10

Brilliant! it's something I'm eager to try tbh, I have a decent stretch of river a couple of minutes away from me which is great for pike. Not sure on the casting though as the usual pike flies look huge 😂 might be easier using my DH and spey casting lol

JoeOh

Well done, the next pike will be larger. Do not worry about the size of many pike flies, they are generally tied to be castable. I welcome posts like this as they bring me back to the essentials of Angling.... especially the early days, when long, long time ago we were young and ... well you know the rest, yours in nostalgia
Cheers

ejw

Only use one fly for Pike / Perch, not large or weighted on a size 10 B175 kamasan
1602708612000.png
Hook - Kamasan B175 size 10
Thread - Florescent White ultra 70
Bead – Plastic red UV
Tail - 1 strand of Krystal Flash doubled twice – 4 strands under the marabou, tied in before the
marabou then when in place folded back to give 4 above.
Tail - White marabou
Flashback – Mirage tinsel (left long at the head)
Body – UV Straggle Standard in Florescent White

It takes Trout, Pike, Perch and Shark ?? Long story, but it works well.
Last week on Grafham it took 2 Perch, 1 Pike and 6 Rainbows to 6lb

beetlebum

Only use one fly for Pike / Perch, not large or weighted on a size 10 B175 kamasan
View attachment 31644
Hook - Kamasan B175 size 10
Thread - Florescent White ultra 70
Bead – Plastic red UV
Tail - 1 strand of Krystal Flash doubled twice – 4 strands under the marabou, tied in before the
marabou then when in place folded back to give 4 above.
Tail - White marabou
Flashback – Mirage tinsel (left long at the head)
Body – UV Straggle Standard in Florescent White

It takes Trout, Pike, Perch and Shark ?? Long story, but it works well.
Last week on Grafham it took 2 Perch, 1 Pike and 6 Rainbows to 6lb
I like the look of this. The jig flies I tied were on 1.5g jigheads and aren't the easiest to cast on the 5 weight to be honest. As I was only fishing the canal I found I could get enough distance though but I was thinking of tying up some unweighted minnow patterns to take next time.

beetlebum

Well done, the next pike will be larger. Do not worry about the size of many pike flies, they are generally tied to be castable. I welcome posts like this as they bring me back to the essentials of Angling.... especially the early days, when long, long time ago we were young and ... well you know the rest, yours in nostalgia
Cheers
It was great to get out and walk the towpath for a couple of hours after working all day. I spoke to a chap who'd been pole fishing and had a good day, plenty of silver fish which can only be a good thing for the predators. It's good to get a bit of variety too, a change from spots to stripes😁

ejw

The fly I posted earlier is used on 3wt to 5wt's, don't use anything heavier these days. No problem casting it with a 3wt, I use the 5wt with a slime line for depth as I don't have a lower rated line - until I ordered a clear Maxcatch sinker 4wt last week, so should have it in a few weeks.

Jason 70

Well done!
The bigger ones will come, but no harm in practising where there’s lots of little pike.

Totally agree with the above and once you start getting into river Pike from 8lbs upwards they really do give you some great sport. I'm all set for a day on the river tomorrow, last Saturday my fish came in a window of between noon and 14.00. Three hours either side of this you would have thought there was not a Pike in the river. It's just plain good fun.

beetlebum

Totally agree with the above and once you start getting into river Pike from 8lbs upwards they really do give you some great sport. I'm all set for a day on the river tomorrow, last Saturday my fish came in a window of between noon and 14.00. Three hours either side of this you would have thought there was not a Pike in the river. It's just plain good fun.
I'm definitely going to keep at it. I had an hour with my 10 weight set up on Wednesday after work but the weather turned bad quickly. I need to tinker with my setup as the fact I'm using a 9 line on a faster 10 rod means I have to work quite hard and it's not as enjoyable as I reckon it should be. Anyone got any line advice for a 10 weight Shakespeare Agility XPS, in an intermediate?

easker1

was out this afternoon but didn't catch any but I got one good thump , so at least one was interested in the lure, try again to morrow, easker1

Jason 70

I had 7 or so hours out today, managed four Jacks about this stamp.

IMG_20201017_123416~2_600x800.jpg

A couple of Perch about about a pound or so. And had a follow from a proper Pike, I was fishing along a high bank. She came out of know where, saw me and hung high in the water before gently turning away and back from whence she came. I love seeing them do that.

Apologies for highjacking the OPs thread. I'm to lazy to start one anew.

beetlebum

I had 7 or so hours out today, managed four Jacks about this stamp.

View attachment 31733

A couple of Perch about about a pound or so. And had a follow from a proper Pike, I was fishing along a high bank. She came out of know where, saw me and hung high in the water before gently turning away and back from whence she came. I love seeing them do that.

Apologies for highjacking the OPs thread. I'm to lazy to start one anew.
Sounds like great fishing, well done! I had an hour this afternoon but was fishing small jigs as casting space was minimal. Had two jack's, the canal is still very weedy so called it a day at that.

Cap'n Fishy

I nipped out for a couple of hours after work today to fly fish for perch (by design), and test some jig flies I'd tied up. I managed one perch (hurrah) and the smallest pike I've ever seen... I don't think it counts😂. Lovely fishing on a fibreglass 5 weight though.
If that one doesn't count, what about this one, caught on fly by my boat partner on the Lake of Menteith...

Col