First time on a river.

frog_on_toast

I've just spent what is possibly my most enjoyable fishing trip ever on the free stretch of my local river. Caught my first fly caught wild brownies, and although they were only about 6 inches long I came away from the river with a huge grin on my face!

I've definitely got the river fishing bug now! All 5 fell to a tiny black gnat, although ianaged to lose a lot of flies in the vegetation, so I'm glad I tied up plenty.

I grew up coarse fishing this river, and its so satisfying to go back to it on the fly!

brannan

Fly fishing on the river is definitely the future...

Just don't tell everyone how fun it is or ill be wading through the masses with blobs ;)

Seriously though. Well done. Nowt better than WBT from running water.

richardw

Trade Member
I've just spent what is possibly my most enjoyable fishing trip ever on the free stretch of my local river. Caught my first fly caught wild brownies, and although they were only about 6 inches long I came away from the river with a huge grin on my face!

I've definitely got the river fishing bug now! All 5 fell to a tiny black gnat, although ianaged to lose a lot of flies in the vegetation, so I'm glad I tied up plenty.

I grew up coarse fishing this river, and its so satisfying to go back to it on the fly!

Try very bushy flies and you will lose fewer of them to the trees.

Charles Cotton's Black Fly

Double Badger

Red Hackle

Are easy to tie examples.

richard

lankylad

Well Done! you are obviously "hooked" now...

I prefere fishing a river/stream to a stillwater anyday, there's just something about moving water...

Cheers
Dave

richfish1

Great fun Isn't it?! No looking back now:D
Try very bushy flies and you will lose fewer of them to the trees.

Charles Cotton's Black Fly

Double Badger

Red Hackle

Are easy to tie examples.

richard

Perfect little flies Richard, and you're right about little bushy flies seem to get caught up so much, When fishing under the trees at Lake Vyrnwy every other cast ended up bouncing off vegetation! I've also found that since using better quality feathers such as the whiting, the stiffer barbs prevent hook snagging even more so:thumbs:

jan007

Well done that man:thumbs: May I enquire as to what your local river is?
Regards
Jan

brookfisher

Well done.

River fishing gives me an enjoyment that fishing for bows never will.

Welcome to the real fun:thumbs:

jada0406

Well done, and I am genuinely pleased that you enjoy rivers so much; but please don't fall into the trap of thinking that fishing still waters for stocked trout is something to be ashamed of, whatever some might suggest.
I've been catching fish by fair means or foul since I first used a jam jar to catch stone loach -- no minnows in the upper South Tyne at Alston when I was a boy -- and I have found that all forms of fly fishing, in various venues whether rivers or lakes, give us an opportunity to learn. Learning has to lead to greater pleasure, and not all still water fishing is ''stockie bashing''. It can be just as difficult, or more so at times, winkling trout out of a lake or a reservoir.
Of course, do what you like best, but try to enjoy all that is available.
Good luck, jadaTC

novicefly

It is 100% the way forward! I've been fishing a local stretch till after 11.30pm this week, fishing has not been great due to the water being so low, but its just being out, stalking the fish which i absolutely love!!!

frog_on_toast

Jada, I have no intention of becoming a river snob, I enjoy all forms of fishing (although I draw the line at camping out for carp!) I still coarse fish, I still sea fish, both beach and boat, and I'm considering kitting out myself for a bit of spear fishing (what else do you do when there's no surf to ride? Lol ) luckily even though I'm away all week at work my Mrs is very undrstanding of my need to hunt :thumbs:

Went down to the river this evening, its very low, but that just makes it easier to wade, loads of chub and a couple of larger brownies, only about 10" though. For anyone that knows the river I was fishing from just below the weir casting right up to it. Bit worried about the stamp of fish though, not one chub over 1lb, none of the coarse guys were catching much either. There used to be a lot of 3 to 5lb chub in there. I heard the eastern Europeans had eaten a lot of the fish, but chub? They're like cotton wool full of needles to eat, or so I've been reliably informed!

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
Be a year for me on rivers in August, can't beat it. :thumbs:

I never thought I'd take to it, thought it would be too hard. What it's taught me is how hard Stillwater fishing actually is, at least in a river you have half an idea where the fish will be.

delbert

th_20120916_124057.jpg

th_20120920_133731.jpg

these were caught on the stick float last autumn hope they haven't all been eaten :eek:

frog_on_toast

Cheers Darren, that's upped my confidence a bit, but that looks like part of the AA stretch, I think that's a bit better bailiffed, might have put them off.

Of course, the other reason I might only be catching smaller stuff is clumsy wading and casting, so I shall keep trying. Glad to see the river of my childhood still producing good fish!

richardw

Trade Member
Cheers Darren, that's upped my confidence a bit, but that looks like part of the AA stretch, I think that's a bit better bailiffed, might have put them off.

Of course, the other reason I might only be catching smaller stuff is clumsy wading and casting, so I shall keep trying. Glad to see the river of my childhood still producing good fish!

th_20120920_133731.jpg

If that is the condition of the river you are fishing then you should not wade it at all.

richard

Latest posts