Fish hooked in eye!

the osprey

Evening folks,

The other evening I hooked a small trout, through the top lip and out the eye, just wondered if any one knew if this would permanently blind the fish in that eye or if it manages to recover?

I had a few google searches but nothing really answered my question, just people saying it’s happened to them!

Wee Jimmy

It’s also happened to me...🥴 Ive also hooked them up the ersehole....it’s gonna happen if we use hooks. I can’t imagine it would be a good thing for the fishes point f view but they can survive perfectly well with one eye.

sightbob

Wee true story that may make you feel better, a man was feeding his fish in his
aquarium when a fight broke out and one of his fish had an eye sucked clean out
and off. The fish continued eating.
In your situation if the eye ball wasnt punctured good chance it may be ok.
Seen some crazy damage to fish over the years and theyve still been feeding.

codyarrow

Caught fish that were blind in one eye. They do cope. Fish enough and you are bound to catch one in the eye, although mine have all been foul hooked on the eye.

taffy1

Caught a trout some years ago that was blind in one eye. I kept casting as it was still rising & not being spooked, I lengthened the cast about 6-8 inches & it was suddenly on, I must have been casting to it's blind-side & probably the fish hadn't seen my offering.

eddleston123

Caught a trout some years ago that was blind in one eye. I kept casting as it was still rising & not being spooked, I lengthened the cast about 6-8 inches & it was suddenly on, I must have been casting to it's blind-side & probably the fish hadn't seen my offering.

Taffy, you did well to catch that trout.

With it having one eye, you only had half a chance of it seeing your fly!

Douglas

speytime

I don't think a fish depends on its eyesight like we do, they can pick a worm out of dirty spate water and flies in the darkest of nights.

I have a theory that they can feel the disturbance/turbulence of the water around the fly or worm?

Al

GEK79

I don't think a fish depends on its eyesight like we do, they can pick a worm out of dirty spate water and flies in the darkest of nights.

I have a theory that they can feel the disturbance/turbulence of the water around the fly or worm?

Al
The trouts lateral lines.. Sensitive and probably better than eyesight in the dark water.. I'd say your right there Al..

Pritts Apprentice

That fish may well develop ‘Popeye’, this is where the eye protrudes well beyond its socket, due to either physical damage or disease. I think people who have aquariums can treat fish with this problem. I caught a fish from the Wharfe last month, with a popeye on one side, it saw the fly alright. On closer inspection I could see a visible mark on the outside of edge of the socket. Whether caused by an angler, another fish or fishing eating bird who knows. I returned the fish as it was healthy enough, just looked rather strange.

Hooking a fish in the eye, although not common, comes with the territory, fishing with hooks is going to do damage from time to time, doesn’t matter how careful you are.

the osprey

Seems in you folks experience like it has a chance at survival Which is good....would be interesting to know if it’s possible for the eye to make a full recovery, nature can be surprising at times!

Prolifichare

Point of view, I like that one! :LOL:
It’s also happened to me...🥴 Ive also hooked them up the ersehole....it’s gonna happen if we use hooks. I can’t imagine it would be a good thing for the fishes point f view but they can survive perfectly well with one eye.