Fish ID - Pollack, Coal Fish or other?

jerryrum

Hi Guys

I am filling in the Sea Angling Diary and need some help with fish ID.

I am ashamed to admit that these were caught on bait, but I did have go with a 1# and a squirmy wormy.

Pollack1.PNG
Pollack.PNG

cheers
Jerry

JRT

Look like pollock. Whereabouts did you catch them - if on the south coast then they will definitely be pollock

codyarrow

Show it to a starving rabid dog. If it eats it then it is a pollack, if it rejects it then it is a coalie. :giggle:

Always a bit more colour in a pollack. As the name implies coal fish are quite dark.

Banksie

Have caught them using a long Stillwater coarse float from Weymouth stone pier. Beautiful to eat. Almost sweet, but bones like nails.

JoeOh

Show it to a starving rabid dog. If it eats it then it is a pollack, if it rejects it then it is a coalie. :giggle:

Always a bit more colour in a pollack. As the name implies coal fish are quite dark.
Having eaten both reasonable sized pollack and coalfish, I can remember that the flavour of coalfish was rather insipid compared to that of pollack, despite the flesh being tantalizingly white and flakey. Perhaps this is why I often see pollack as an ingredient in supermarket items such as fish fingers and fish pies, but so far no mention of coalfish.

codyarrow

I think 'alaskan pollack' is coalfish. Pretty sure coalie is processed into fingers and pies too.

Rhithrogena

Alaska Pollock is actually closely related to cod in the genus Gadus; and Pollack and Coalfish are in the genus Pollachius.
Strangely, they call Coalfish 'Pollock' in the States......

codyarrow

Alaska Pollock is actually closely related to cod in the genus Gadus; and Pollack and Coalfish are in the genus Pollachius.
Strangely, they call Coalfish 'Pollock' in the States......
No doubt you are correct. But when it is in the packet at Lidl I think it is coalie.

Rhithrogena

Nah, Alaska Pollock is one of the biggest commercial landings on the planet - it'd be cheaper for Lidl to use it than coalie (which would be called 'saithe' on the packet).
It might look grey, mind you after being processed, frozen and shipped halfway round the planet 😂.....

Wee Jimmy

Alaska pollock is just a fluffy name for those mingin black horrible looking things that live at 500 fathoms....👍