Fish wising-up... great whites vs trout!

codyarrow

That's them pulling them off the hook one at a time, they know how to avoid the jaggy bit so if you just pull and wait they usually take them off and you can wind in, it's rare but a horrible feeling knowing you left a hook in a seal, or anything really.
Skate fishing with whole mackeral.

codyarrow

'Common' skate - now a critically endangered species! :eek:
They catch a few on rod and line up here. Strathy point, Longberry in Wick and Scrabster Harbour. Uk shore record is from Strathy. Only did it the once. The lads that are successful fish eight rods each over 12 hours and get a fish every 2 or 3 sessions.

My boat partner is an ex trawler man and he says they used to catch skate as a by catch all the time. He could not sell it, no matter how he prepped it. So it has no doubt been overfished but maybe by accident?

Cap'n Fishy

They catch a few on rod and line up here. Strathy point, Longberry in Wick and Scrabster Harbour. Uk shore record is from Strathy. Only did it the once. The lads that are successful fish eight rods each over 12 hours and get a fish every 2 or 3 sessions.

My boat partner is an ex trawler man and he says they used to catch skate as a by catch all the time. He could not sell it, no matter how he prepped it. So it has no doubt been overfished but maybe by accident?

There was something on it on a programme I watched a while back. I think they connected it with breeding... breeding grounds or reproduction rates... or some-such. Though obviously overfishing will be a major factor.

Wiki has this...

Common skate

Col

Latest posts