Fishing in Cornwall / Northumberland

patsolver

I am going to cornwall at the end of July, and wondered whether there was any good fishing in the Cornwall area at that time of year ?, how you book it. I am going to be near Penzance so anything quite close to that would be preferred.

Also looking at trying to get a cople of days fishing on the tyne in August, where would be good and how again do you book it ?

Thanks

guest21

Two fisheries I know of are Drift reservoir near Newquay (bit of a trek!) and another - Tree Meadow Fishery at Hayle that is probably the closest. To the best of my knowledge there's no sea trout and definately no salmon fishing in that area - you may have a slim chance of a sea trout from the Fal - again a bit of a trek.

Last edited:

barramundi

Drifts very close to PZ a nice place brownies and rainbows (or it was 3 years ago) I think it can be tubed also

Tree meadows a rather less demanding fishery. You pays yer money you catch a lump of lard with fins.

Plenty of fish in the sea and plenty of space to fish for them (real fish)

Wild and free!

davidarmes

barramundi said:
Drifts very close to PZ a nice place brownies and rainbows (or it was 3 years ago) I think it can be tubed also

Tree meadows a rather less demanding fishery. You pays yer money you catch a lump of lard with fins.

Plenty of fish in the sea and plenty of space to fish for them (real fish)

Wild and free!

;) Why not have a go a SWFF ??

I believe Austin @

www.uksaltwaterflies.com/guides_hompage.htm

:D provides an excellent guiding service ?

TimTFF

barramundi said:

Yep, nice one Austen - I thought you were a mate of John's?

Anyway folks - working with TFF I visit many small stillwaters countrywide and I have to say that Treemeadow is one of the very best without doubt. Okay it's from my part of the world, but the scenery, service AND fish stock (unlike what he's written above) is second to none.

Drift is okay, if you can handle fishing among loads of swans - the fish are great tho. Yes you can float tube there, but you have to be with someone else in a tube for safety reasons.

I prefer this one...

Stithians (more mid Cornwall) is one of the UK's best reservoirs - a real 'wild' feel about it, surface fishing all season and a real chance of some superb grown-on trout. If you like to fish things like black spiders, gnats and beetles, you can't beat it.

There are sea trout in the Hayle River - bit of a secret - the fishing is free, and it's not far from PZ. Have a chat to John Hodge about it if you make a visit to Tree Meadow.

The Fowey and Camel (more northerly, but worth a trip) are often fantastic for sea trout in the summer, but the salmon don't really turn up in numbers 'til mid September.

Contacts for these are:
ROGER'S TACKLE SHOP (Bodmin): 01208 78006 for permits

and GRAHAM BRAY (Fowey guide): 07789 113601
Graham is also an experienced saltwater guide in the St Austell Bay area, so a great day would be to fish for bass and mackerel during the day, then go to the Fowey for a few hours on the sea trout at night.

Hope this helps. Sorry to get narky about the quote but all this soapbox b*llocks does my head in, especially when it's not true. GRRRR!!!

Cheerio folks

Tim

Fowey

I enjoyed an evening on the free fishing stretch of the Fowey below the bridge in Lostwithiel last week. Didn't see or make contact with any Sea trout but the water always felt 'hopeful'. Did take a couple of nice brownies on st flies. A nice piece of semi urban water with friendly locals. I'll be back.

Yep, just show up and fish. The river flows through the bottom of the town through a nice park to the tidel stretches.

Jon

TimTFF

Lostwithiel fishing

The free section is from the 'new' road bridge downstream. The flats just above the old tudor bridge are pretty good, but THE pool is in Coulson Park, further downstream (the biggish one on the corner); Peal Pool.
Make sure you don't stray upstream into the fields otherwise the bodmin beast'll get ya (when you see our club chairman, you'll understand..:D)
If you want to fish on this private section (first 2 miles above the tide) you'll need to go with a member; give Graham Bray (see my previous post) a call.
All that's left to say is... SURFACE LURES!

seanooo

Thanks for the info jjo and Tim
Your surface lure comment reminded me of a article you wrote a while ago on the Fowey, so i dug it out. It sounds great, and i think i will have a crack at it. How would you recommend striking to the takes? waiting until you feel a pull on the line or letting them take it for a moment until they turn, as if you were dry fly fishing?

thanks alot
sean

TimTFF

Nope,

Keep retrieving until everything locks up.
You will get fish slashing and splashing at the fly - try to ignore this! - but the real good takes are the ones where the fish hardly breaks the surface... it sounds a bit like SSSSSSLLLLLLLLUUUUUURRRRRRPPPP!!!!!!:D
By the way, at the back end of Peal Pool try one sharp pull after the fly lands, followed by a slow fig8.

Awesome.

Hope this helps

Tim

JJO

Tim,

Is the the Peal Pool the one on the bend just before the straight where the boats more up on the inside bank adjacent to the track and the railway line?

Cheers

Jon

TimTFF

yep,

That's the one! It's also worth fishing down between the boats and then on down to the next bend where there's an awesome streamy pool (at low tide only of course - DON'T go there after mid tide.
The pools downstream from there are too silty and dangerous to wade, but you can fish them from the bank. Hardly anyone does (only for school bass at high tide) but a couple of us have taken salmon and sea trout from them The most notorious one is known as Willful Murder - nice! - because of something nasty that happened in the past. Maybe not the best place to be at midnight on yer own then... :eek:

Cheers for now

Tim

yaffle

Does anyone know about fly fishing on the helford river, as i am staying there in the summer really cose to the river and was wondering if i would be able to do any fishing on the river in an evening?

Also Drift reservoir, i have fly fished there and caught two roach on buzzer and cats whiskers nomad :p.

Tree Meadows is a great fishery and i will be going again in mid-july when i'm on holiday.

Yaffle

TimTFF

Hi yaffle,

Give Gary Champion a shout (01872 863551); he instructs and guides around the Helford area.
'Tis a bit out of my part of the county... tend to streer clear as I've heard they eat their own young down there...:D

Tim