Fishing In Ireland - Guidelines

Gerryb

"Get your OH in there with you. You might get a rise and even a nibble or two ;)"
Keep a watch out for rising bubbles .

black jungle

Yes we all like to fish, but this is far greater and more important than any fishing, ,THERE ARE PEOPLE DYING..When this is all over we will all be back on the Corrib again ,The trout will be bigger..And from what I hear anglers wanting to put boats in at Greenfields were turned away..

Gerryb

Yes we all like to fish, but this is far greater and more important than any fishing, ,THERE ARE PEOPLE DYING..When this is all over we will all be back on the Corrib again ,The trout will be bigger..And from what I hear anglers wanting to put boats in at Greenfields were turned away..
I could see them bringing the boat home in sections .

suzuki15hp

I think there's a big difference between anglers travelling with their boats to fish the lakes and those who actually live adjacent to the lakes, well within the 2km limit.

lhomme

I think there's a big difference between anglers travelling with their boats to fish the lakes and those who actually live adjacent to the lakes, well within the 2km limit.
In distance. Not in the non-essential activity they insist on practicing, in spite of the rules.

Last edited:

sean freeman

In distance. Not in the non-essential activity they insist on practicing, in spite of the rules.
Fishing is allowed under the guidelines in Ireland from what I’ve read, as long as it’s within 2km of your home. Can’t see it being anymore dangerous than cycling on the country roads. The way tractors and lorries fly around corners I’d feel safer up to my waist in water than I would cycling.

Gerryb

Cycling, Flyfishing, whatever, you could end up needing Frontline Services, stay at home .

sean freeman

I’m a key worker so I’ll be cycling most days to reduce the risk of my car breaking down and having no one to repair it. Far more likely for something to happen on my commute than fishing the small streams I frequent. I’m happy to stay home but I think some peoples reactions to people fishing is ridiculous. If I had a stretch of river on my doorstep and I was allowed to fish it I’d be out now to unwind and de stress.

lhomme

I see you suddenly realised that the thread is about Ireland and not the UK. Well spotted.
It's hard keeping up these days, everyone running around in different directions, screaming yes but, no but, yes but, looks like the whole world turned into a lunatic asylum. If we're a herd in need of herd immunity we better act as one and not as a bunch of lemmings. Or headless chickens, for that matter.

Last edited:

splinters

On our club page.

S.

suzuki15hp

Update from Inland Fisheries Ireland received at 16.45

#Stayathome
IFI angling guidelines that have been issued are to facilitate those that wish to take angling as their brief exercise while at all times following Government and HSE guidelines relating to social distancing.
IFI offers further clarification as follows:
  1. Fishing for a brief period means no more than an hour to an hour and a half
  2. Fish in a location less than or equal to 2km from your home
  3. Driving to fish is considered non-essential travel and therefore it is NOT APPROPRIATE for people to drive to a location whether within 2km or further from home for the purpose of fishing.
  4. Fish only where you have permission to fish – do not enter into private fisheries
  5. Use only legal methods
Where you intend to fish club waters, check that they are open for fishing (even if they are within 2km, they may not be open).

suzuki15hp

Just received by email from Inland Fisheries

09 April 2020

#Stayathome
Not much has changed since last week only that even more fisheries have closed for angling as everyone is intent on doing their part to stop the spread of Covid-19 and help save lives.
In addition to the closure of all IFI's owned and managed fisheries, all ESB fisheries are now closed until further notice and permit sales have been suspended. ESB fisheries include the River Shannon catchment (including all fisheries in the Midland Fisheries Permit Group), River Lee catchment, River Liffey catchment, Erne and Assaroe Lake. For more information see https://www.esb.ie/acting-responsibly/fisheries-2
Covid-19 updates
Keeping to the theme of last week's update, here’s a look at how the fishing was going this time 6 years ago…