Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing In Ireland - Guidelines

4K views 58 replies 13 participants last post by  Deleted member 81051 
G
#1 ·
This notice was received this afternoon from Inland Fisheries Ireland.

As updates come in I'll update the thread, just in case Irish Anglers are not aware of this notice service.

Covid-19 Angling Guidelines

IFI has received input from the Dept. of Health in relation to the drafting of these recreational fishing guidelines and wish to advise as follows:

At present there have been no specific restrictions placed on recreational angling under the current Covid-19 guidelines however anybody intending to fish must ensure that they adhere to the latest advice on Covid-19 which is published here:

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

and here:

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

Anglers are advised to take normal safety precautions when fishing and in relation to Covid-19 should take the following into consideration:

• No non-essential travel should take place - fish in your local area
  • Avoid crowded places
  • Reduce social interactions
  • Anglers should remain 2 metres apart (roughly one rod length) from each other and other members of the public
  • If applicable, anglers should check that the fishery is open in advance of fishing
  • Anglers need to be aware that they are in areas that are not routinely disinfected or cleaned and use all precautions to keep themselves and other safe from Covid19
IFI managed fisheries will remain open where possible but anglers should consult their local RBD offices to check the status of specific fisheries or see below fisheries closure notice. There will be no boat rental on IFI managed fisheries and areas where people may congregate (changing rooms, offices, tea rooms etc.) will be closed.

IFI are working to move all licence and permit sales online and they will be made available at the following web pages:

Salmon: https://store.fishinginireland.info/

Other: http://shop.fishinginireland.info/

If you do intend to go fishing you should adhere to the guidelines for getting outdoors responsibly published by Leave No Trace.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just looking at the 9.00PM news on RTE television, we're not allowed to travel further than 2 kilometres from our home. I haven't got all of the details, but it's no more fishing for most people for the foreseeable future ?

Unless you live beside a lake or river that's it for now.

#4 ·
Anytime I've been out for a walk in the last 10 days or so I've kept 2 metres from other walkers. It should be possible to walk or drive to the river / lake, driving is safer, when you get to the water keep a rod length away from other anglers.

I get your point about is it worth the risk.

#15 ·
Yep, it was the same in the UK last weekend - Snowdonia, etc. Warnings have been issued for this weekend and I very much doubt we will see much in the way of disobedience - I think most people have got the message.

I'm a recreational cyclist and have taken to riding my bike a 10-mile or so route, calling in at a small co-op shop I'm a member of for food. It has been lovely on relatively deserted roads. However, cyclists have been specifically warned about this weekend - if the MAMILS are out in groups all cycling could be banned. I really hope the advice is heeded.

Reactions: mackiia1
#18 ·
On a more serious note - I am hearing there are increased calls to Childline and reports of domestic abuse .
Dirty fcuking scumbags - taking out their frustrations on women and kids. ?

#19 ·
Yep, there's some real vermin out there :(

I'd imagine some marraiges/partnerships going to be put to the test. The firm my wife works with deal with family law. They're going to be busy when this crap blows over.

Have to drive back to Dublin on Sunday..... should be interesting.

#50 ·
I’m a key worker so I’ll be cycling most days to reduce the risk of my car breaking down and having no one to repair it. Far more likely for something to happen on my commute than fishing the small streams I frequent. I’m happy to stay home but I think some peoples reactions to people fishing is ridiculous. If I had a stretch of river on my doorstep and I was allowed to fish it I’d be out now to unwind and de stress.

G
#58 ·
Update from Inland Fisheries Ireland received at 16.45

#Stayathome
IFI angling guidelines that have been issued are to facilitate those that wish to take angling as their brief exercise while at all times following Government and HSE guidelines relating to social distancing.
IFI offers further clarification as follows:
  1. Fishing for a brief period means no more than an hour to an hour and a half
  2. Fish in a location less than or equal to 2km from your home
  3. Driving to fish is considered non-essential travel and therefore it is NOT APPROPRIATE for people to drive to a location whether within 2km or further from home for the purpose of fishing.
  4. Fish only where you have permission to fish - do not enter into private fisheries
  5. Use only legal methods
Where you intend to fish club waters, check that they are open for fishing (even if they are within 2km, they may not be open).

G
#59 ·
Just received by email from Inland Fisheries

09 April 2020

#Stayathome
Not much has changed since last week only that even more fisheries have closed for angling as everyone is intent on doing their part to stop the spread of Covid-19 and help save lives.
In addition to the closure of all IFI's owned and managed fisheries, all ESB fisheries are now closed until further notice and permit sales have been suspended. ESB fisheries include the River Shannon catchment (including all fisheries in the Midland Fisheries Permit Group), River Lee catchment, River Liffey catchment, Erne and Assaroe Lake. For more information see https://www.esb.ie/acting-responsibly/fisheries-2
Covid-19 updates
Keeping to the theme of last week's update, here's a look at how the fishing was going this time 6 years ago…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.