Fishing in Limousin

bucksflyfisher

I live near St Yrieix la Perche and have been unsuccessfully searching for some decent river fly fishing for some time. Any advice would be much appreciated. All the rivers near me seem to be devoid of fish, probably because the locals kill everything they catch except carp.

glueman

With nearly six thousand seven hundred kilometers of first category rivers across three departments: the Corrèze, the Creuse and the Haute-Vienne, the Limousin is a dream destination for anglers seeking a quality of water that is still preserved. Here, all generations of anglers rub shoulders in pursuit of a common passion: fly-fishing for the fario brown trout.
Have a look on the web searching fly fishing in Limousin

bucksflyfisher

Problem is that on the day after stocking, banks are shoulder to shoulder with bait fishers all trying to get the cost of their carte de peche back in trout for the freezer. Nothing left after 3 or 4 days.

bucksflyfisher

With nearly six thousand seven hundred kilometers of first category rivers across three departments: the Corrèze, the Creuse and the Haute-Vienne, the Limousin is a dream destination for anglers seeking a quality of water that is still preserved. Here, all generations of anglers rub shoulders in pursuit of a common passion: fly-fishing for the fario brown trout.
Have a look on the web searching fly fishing in Limousin
That's the tourist trap talk. Loads of carp fishing in the lakes, but the so called Category 1 waters are absolutely devoid of brown trout, stocked with ragged tailed rainbows which are cleaned out by bait fishers within a couple of days.

diawl bach

Wow - I know a couple of rivers locally that were like that a few years back. It's not easy to change that culture but it's worth a try.

Lewis Chessman

It's been years since I was there but I have friends with a place in Soult near Argentat. I remember seeing trout off the bridge in the town and a good 3 lb+ brown downstream - in a heavily treed area away from the campsites, There was a mouche tackle shop in the centre and a chap selling flies from his house on the Forges/Soult road. Not much help, I know, but it might be worth a drive over to take a look. There are miles of wee streams you could explore with light tackle - the Doustre near Rivierge looked OK from the car. It must have a few pools on it. Try a virtual trip on Google Maps if you haven't the time to visit, see what appeals to you before you set out for a closer look.