Fishing in Wales

tonymair

If fishing Wales features in your thinking this season, this blogpost in the new 'Fishing in Wales' website, might intrigue -
If you are thinking of seeking out some of Wales' wild browns next season, and they are abundant, this blog on the Fishing in Wales new website might intrigue -

fishingwales.net

A Fisherman's Journey - Fly Fishing in Wales with Tony Mair - Fishing in Wales

Have you ever been committed enough to complete a challenge spanning a whole country? Tony Mair decided to catch a ...
fishingwales.net
fishingwales.net
Tight lines

tonymair

Why post this 3 times? It's not endearing
Dear Cormorant
Endearment is not what is seek...what I do, is to give as much support to Ceri Thomas of the Angling Trust (Wales) as I can, to promote Wales and its wonderful fishing. A cursory look at the numbers of visitors to the various pages on this Forum, suggests that many, visit only one page, which may explain why I chose three for my post. I believe in encouraging and building...

Perch@1

Dear Cormorant
Endearment is not what is seek...what I do, is to give as much support to Ceri Thomas of the Angling Trust (Wales) as I can, to promote Wales and its wonderful fishing. A cursory look at the numbers of visitors to the various pages on this Forum, suggests that many, visit only one page, which may explain why I chose three for my post. I believe in encouraging and building...
I hav'nt fished all over Wales or all over anywhere else, I just fish my local valley and enjoy it.

I thank you for posting the site and advertising Wales.

Fish safe and happy, Neil 🎣

G

GEK79

Dear Cormorant
Do you think by advertising the fishing it could take away from. Some of the hidden gems left in Wales..
Growing up there i understand and love the place.. Last thing I'd ever want is for those gems myself and my father have fished to turn into spots full of people who don't give two hoots..
Please its not a personal thing and the work that Ceri Thomas does is valuable.. But at what costs will advertising Welsh beauty bring.
Gary

JayP

Do you think by advertising the fishing it could take away from. Some of the hidden gems left in Wales..
Growing up there i understand and love the place.. Last thing I'd ever want is for those gems myself and my father have fished to turn into spots full of people who don't give two hoots..
Please its not a personal thing and the work that Ceri Thomas does is valuable.. But at what costs will advertising Welsh beauty bring.
Gary
I book a lot of fishing through WUF and in the last few years I've always got the beat I want on the day I want, I really cannot see the rivers and llyns of Wales becoming inundated with anglers.

There's also the case for 'use it or lose it!

taffy1

Apart from the "use it or lose it" scenario, as in Ireland, Scotland & anywhere else, promoting angling brings in much needed revenue to many local communities, as already mentioned, there are many remote venues that will never get inundated with a glut of anglers. This is a sport that needs as much promotion than it ever could to help in introducing the next generation to a sport in a sad decline.

Last edited:

ejw

My local river is in Wales and it was set up for "Locals" in 1908 !! At one point in its history there were two committee's and two levels of payment - one for local's and one for "English or out of Parish members ! This died out in the 70's and the Club now just has members - 90% outside the area. There are only 5 members that "could" walk to the river now, as the rest travel !!!
As posted "Use it or Loose it". No it is not the cost (at £50 per year) or lack of fish or even size of fish, but the lack of interest in the local area. Hidden gems are fine, but if they are not used, then where do the next generation of fly fishers come from ?

Perch@1

My local river is in Wales and it was set up for "Locals" in 1908 !! At one point in its history there were two committee's and two levels of payment - one for local's and one for "English or out of Parish members ! This died out in the 70's and the Club now just has members - 90% outside the area. There are only 5 members that "could" walk to the river now, as the rest travel !!!
As posted "Use it or Loose it". No it is not the cost (at £50 per year) or lack of fish or even size of fish, but the lack of interest in the local area. Hidden gems are fine, but if they are not used, then where do the next generation of fly fishers come from ?
Exactly ejw.....

Fish safe and happy (when time comes), Neil 🎣

Perch@1

Apart from the "use it or lose it" scenario, as in Ireland, Scotland & anywhere else, promoting angling brings in much needed revenue to many local communities, as already mentioned, there are many remote venues that will never get inundated with a glut of anglers. This is a sport that needs as much promotion than it ever could to help in introducing the next generation to a sport in a sad decline.
Oh yes, taffy1 all the help we can get.

Fish safe and happy (when time comes), Neil 🎣

Latest posts