fishing in west sussex

flyfishy61

having lived in chichester for many years there is little trout river fishing near, the lavant dried up many years ago, i presume the rother at midhurst could be ok, there is a tackle shop in chichester do they know??

cdsfish

Rother in West Sussex

There's good trout in the Rother below Petworth, and some sea trout. I suggest you contact Andrew Thompson, the bailiff, on 01798 342 502 or their Web site
leconfieldestates.co.uk/pages/rother.html
Lovely small river

Charles

flyfishy61

any ideas for reasonable priced river fishing, oap, so funds are restricted
hello did you ask the tackle shop in chi, there also was a shop in midhurst sold fishing tackle and horse tack with resident saddler.

chaterpedal

west sussex fishing

no chichester shop I am afraid, long gone, same with midhurst, only fishing I can find is the petworth rother but near £1000!!!!!!!!!

flyfishy61

no chichester shop I am afraid, long gone, same with midhurst, only fishing I can find is the petworth rother but near £1000!!!!!!!!!
hello there could be some fishing at rogate i am sure also past rogate over rother the is some fishing there. why not ask at the pub at rogate

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

thats a shame the 1 on the selsey rd by a27 i used to get my sea bait

chaterpedal

west sussex fishing

thank you all, cowdry estate has some on the rother at £175 a season but not easy to fish for old legs, I was a member on the stretch below petworth for some years in the 80's, but now no longer cheap looking at nearly £1000.

flyfishy61

thank you all, cowdry estate has some on the rother at £175 a season but not easy to fish for old legs, I was a member on the stretch below petworth for some years in the 80's, but now no longer cheap looking at nearly £1000.
PM sent re river arun at arundel

brightontrader

River Adur by Lancing College, Cuckoo Corner has sea trout run over weed bank, plus Bass, no ticket required, just migratory rod license, as tidal reach, completely free.

You need to check tide tables though but there is a car park and easy to get to cuckoo corner on a good path. Further up the river there are various club stretches and quite a lot of brownies in the river much further up, small but there, and there is always the chub for the fly fisherman.

Kid A

i fished the Rother at Cowdry park , last night (my mates a member) , caught a few stockies and wild trout , a few mayfly coming off , it just seem weird wadding on a sandy bottom , its not a clear as a chalkstream . Good fun and local , hopfeully be there again very soon .

carpy10

usedto fish midhurst catch trout on spinners then even had a 15lb mirror carp on a spinner probably get shot doing that therenow lol

chucky_chan

There's lots of sea trout fishing on the Adur and Ouse. Hassocks or Henfields clubs are very reasonable.

I'm not sure about the trout but Petworth and Bognor club is only £50 per year for senior citizens. They have some nice river fishing. You could always do some carp on the fly.

iainmortimer

any ideas for reasonable priced river fishing, oap, so funds are restricted
If you can travel a little there is a fair bit of free fishing on the Itchen around Winchester. There's also some free water on Southampton end of the Itchen but few if no trout (or much else) amongst the shopping trollies at that end!

What do you class as reasonable?

amateurguy

Hi All,

Just thought I would post here (very old thread), but I got my info from this thread and have joined Cowdray Park. I had a walk round and lesson towards the end of last season and now i'm really looking forward to this season.

Its fairly over grown in places but its wild and I really like it. Some nice gravels in parts and one of guys that run it says they are planning on spending money to improve parts. for £299 i hope you can't go wrong. I'll try to update when the season kicks off.

iainmortimer

Hi All,

Just thought I would post here (very old thread), but I got my info from this thread and have joined Cowdray Park. I had a walk round and lesson towards the end of last season and now i'm really looking forward to this season.

Its fairly over grown in places but its wild and I really like it. Some nice gravels in parts and one of guys that run it says they are planning on spending money to improve parts. for £299 i hope you can't go wrong. I'll try to update when the season kicks off.
It'd be great to hear how you get on and how badly affected it is by rain.

amateurguy

It'd be great to hear how you get on and how badly affected it is by rain.
The chap that showed me around said
that it takes a day or so to clear up after heavy rain but when i went it was really clear. i guess its the same for all of the Rother.

iainmortimer

The chap that showed me around said
that it takes a day or so to clear up after heavy rain but when i went it was really clear. i guess its the same for all of the Rother.
Thanks thats good to know as I plan to join Petworth and Bognor AC this year for the sea trout as well as pike come next winter...and some fun with the bait gear on occasion for chub and barbel.

Latest posts