Fishing on Malham Tarn under threat...

Cap'n Fishy

Best register now !!....Although I only fish it a once a year it would be very sad to see it go.

I think they have already made their mind up and this is lip service ....but we must try and make our feelings known.

For sure, Rob, that is why I thought it best to bring it to the attention of as many as possible. I have not fished it at all since 2014, but I emailed them as soon as I saw it!

Col

sewinbasher

I've never fished there but have friends who have and it has some magnificent fish. It would be a shame to lose it to angling as virtually nobody would ever see the trout that would be "protected".

beetlebum

It's such a shame. I was hoping to fish it for the first time this season and then this happened, I'm really disappointed. It does sound like it's a done deal though unfortunately.

sean freeman

My mate and I have said this since last season, it won’t reopen to fly fishermen. It’s a brilliant place to fish with cracking trout but sadly I can see it being protected from anglers no matter what now.

Mrtrout

Thanks Col for bringing this to our attention, I heard a large number of fish were killed caused by a farmer?
Something he’d put on the surrounding land had caused it?
S.

sean freeman

Thanks Col for bringing this to our attention, I heard a large number of fish were killed caused by a farmer?
Something he’d put on the surrounding land had caused it?
S.
For **** sake, farmers have destroyed the western Irish loughs and now Malham. The NT allow farming right up to the edge of the tarn but are afraid of the odd angler? I’d like to know how many visits it got per year anyway.

Elwyman

Well there's my email to the NT sent with a heads up that my membership will cease if fishing is stopped at Malham Tarn
I emailed them and got their standard reply. I also get the impression their mind is made up.
Surely if they provided landing nets or disinfection materials, then the risk of possible contamination would be virtually eliminated.

kingf000

I think the most worrying thing about this is that angling has been identified as a high risk activity for the introduction of invasive non-native species and diseases. We are all aware of the dangers and requirements to clean our equipment after fishing, but how often is this neglected? It should be a wake-up call to all of us, especially when switching fishing venues. Killer shrimp is an example where I believe it was accidentally introduced into Grafham but has spread since in spite of strict washing measures in place, probably through anglers.

bobfly2

I for one would cancel my NT membership if their woke leaders pushed to ban angling on their waters. Perhaps a campaign is needed.....
We have already cancelled our joint membership due to their kowtowing wokey general nonsense. They, and NTS, are losing many members.

jaybeegee

I fell out with the NT many years ago when I turned up at Watendlath Tarn in the Lakes to fish (free) for it’s feisty little wild brownies only to find that since my last visit the NT had appropriated it and stocked with rainbow trout, charging of course a not inconsiderable sum for a day ticket. An invasive species introduced into a perfectly healthy wild tarn by the self appointed guardians of the countryside? I am in no way surprised by what is going on at Malham.
B

kingf000

Everyone has to dip their nets in the dipping tank and give their name and address at our venue,
That is common practice in many commercial fisheries but not so in club waters. Waders are also a problem. The eggs and small creatures etc. can get trapped in the creases and the boots. If the waders and boots are not properly dried off and cleaned, they can survive so that going fishing to the next venue - voila! It only takes one person. I keep a separate old pair of bootfoot waders for using at Grafham and don't use them again until I know they are thoroughly cleaned and dried.
In retrospect, they should have banned wading at Grafham as soon as the killer shrimps were identified.

GEK79

I pre
I emailed them and got their standard reply. I also get the impression their mind is made up.
Surely if they provided landing nets or disinfection materials, then the risk of possible contamination would be virtually eliminated.I
I pressed them about the pollution and too their knowledge no incident had occurred.. 🤔🤔🤔

beetlebum

That is common practice in many commercial fisheries but not so in club waters. Waders are also a problem. The eggs and small creatures etc. can get trapped in the creases and the boots. If the waders and boots are not properly dried off and cleaned, they can survive so that going fishing to the next venue - voila! It only takes one person. I keep a separate old pair of bootfoot waders for using at Grafham and don't use them again until I know they are thoroughly cleaned and dried.
In retrospect, they should have banned wading at Grafham as soon as the killer shrimps were identified.
As I understand it, fishing was from boats only and a very small number of those at that. I could be wrong though, like I said earlier unfortunately I never got to fish it.

Latest posts