Fishing on Malham Tarn under threat...

Cap'n Fishy

As I understand it, fishing was from boats only and a very small number of those at that. I could be wrong though, like I said earlier unfortunately I never got to fish it.

Yes, 4 boats, based in 2 boathouses, and no bank fishing.

4512.jpg

Col

sean freeman

If you search the location tag Malham Tarn on Instagram it brings up plenty of pictures of wild swimmers and dogs swimming in the tarn despite the no swimming signs (if they’re still there?) maybe they should tackle these people rather than anglers who actually contribute to the field studies centre with buying day tickets and boat hire. It feels like anglers are the easy target when in actual fact the flea treatment on dogs and bacteria brought on damp wet suits is far more damaging than a couple of anglers sat in a boat.

diawl bach

Utilities and conservation groups are pursuing an anti-angling agenda and favouring boating, canoeing and wild swimming. My local reservoir in Cardiff at Llanishen recently banned fishing in favour of water sports while Llys Y Fran (re-designated as a lake peculiarly) has marginalised angling and hiked prices in a similar development.
All this at a time when climate change is making river fishing more challenging (drought/flood extremes, declines in invertebrates etc.) when faced with these issues lakes offer a more stable angling opportunity.

Vintage Badger

If you search the location tag Malham Tarn on Instagram it brings up plenty of pictures of wild swimmers and dogs swimming in the tarn despite the no swimming signs (if they’re still there?) maybe they should tackle these people rather than anglers who actually contribute to the field studies centre with buying day tickets and boat hire. It feels like anglers are the easy target when in actual fact the flea treatment on dogs and bacteria brought on damp wet suits is far more damaging than a couple of anglers sat in a boat.
Providing those anglers in the boat have followed appropriate biosecurity procedures to ensure they aren't spreading invasive non-native species of plant or animal, or introducing diseases such as crayfish plague into the water they're fishing. One bit of contaminated mud, damp tackle or footwear is all it might take.

We all need to be vigilant and follow biosecurity measures when fishing, after all, it's our fishing that's at stake here. Malham Tarn could be the shape of things to come unless we ensure we are all beyond reproach and squeaky clean. However, after seeing the scant regard with which some people treated the recent Covid biosecurity guidelines, I don't hold out too much hope. :(

sean freeman

Providing those anglers in the boat have followed appropriate biosecurity procedures to ensure they aren't spreading invasive non-native species of plant or animal, or introducing diseases such as crayfish plague into the water they're fishing. One bit of contaminated mud, damp tackle or footwear is all it might take.

We all need to be vigilant and follow biosecurity measures when fishing, after all, it's our fishing that's at stake here. Malham Tarn could be the shape of things to come unless we ensure we are all beyond reproach and squeaky clean. However, after seeing the scant regard with which some people treated the recent Covid biosecurity guidelines, I don't hold out too much hope. :(
I use different pairs of waders and boots for different watersheds to try to negate the risk of cross contamination. Obviously that’s not always an option but Stuart Crofts showed a group of us one day the effect of hot tap water on invertebrates from a kick sample, they died pretty much instantly!
He uses a big bucket filled with hot water to soak his waders and boots and then uses the water for his garden etc, he said never pour it down the drain as you have no idea if it will end up in a nearby river.

Some people choose to ignore such rules as they see it as unnecessary faff unfortunately.