Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing shirts.

9K views 63 replies 34 participants last post by  GEK79 
#1 ·
I've been looking for a decent shirt for fishing. Just a plain tan, olive or similar coloured shirt. I won't be on the flats looking for bonefish or permit. Nor will I be on some freezing tundra river battling the slush hatch. Just a plain medium weight shirt, is that too much to ask? Why is everything technical, cooling, quick drying, wrinkle free and mesh lined or fleecy. I'll be sitting in a boat in Fermanagh ffs. For years I had a good, strong Boy Scout shirt, but now they're embroidered with the fleur-de-lis emblem and I'm not a scout or a boy anymore. Anybody got a suggestion for a decent alternative make please.
S.

#4 ·
... I'll be sitting in a boat in Fermanagh ffs.
S.
Ah Kevlar ...

Get a merino undershirt and a north face breathable wind stopper, one of those lightweight quilted jobs. All you need.

For the inner lumberjack I have a teflon coated outdoor shirt from LLBean I'm not using.

Cordings do tough looking safari shirts

#6 ·
Sorry to inform Splinters. But you are on the wrong starting point?. You need to start with a vest. A Helly Hansen base layer....hugely technical but reassuring cheap. Then to the shirt. Hoggs of Fife do some nice tattersall shirts. Medium to heavyweight cotton. I do like my ' Worldwide Sportsman' technical shirt. It kinda gives me the (false) impression of a fisherman who knows what he's about.

#8 ·

i have went for long sleeve linen with my fishing shirts. Protects from the sun, light weight, Dries quick etc. I was wearing heavier cotton before but I wouldn't go back, even to the big brands. I layer when it's cold (and I'm rarely that cold as I always wear my wave hopper vest). I did have a few expensive ones but in ballina this year (in between lockdown) I got one in dark grey in Penny's for 14 euro. I wore it on the Easkey on one of those 4 seasons in a day, where it's hard to be comfortable in one getup all day and it was great, next morning I emptied the shelves of XLs.
It's probably too late to get them his year but I'm sure they will have similar next summer.

#9 ·
I've got a snowbee one that I've had for years. Otherwise the craghoppers recommendation is probably good, also at the moment I'm wearing a peter storm overshirt - lots of pockets to wear over a t shirt.

However - in a boat I don't need pockets (snips and forceps attached to life jacket) and on bank everything is in my waistcoat so whilst I always want a shirt with pockets I don't actually need them.

#20 ·
I'd already been to my local Craghoppers and Trespass, they didn't have anything I liked. It was all very flimsy. Don't fancy the online stuff either. I've ruled out check pattern as I always feel like an imposter pretending to be awfully country doncha know. Just me I know.
The Mil Tec looks nice but seems to be fitted, not good in my shape.
I like the Decathlon.
I like the Carhartt.
I like the Simms from John Norris.
I like the Orvis Chambray.
I quite like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B5VGHZ0/ref=twister_B00SKH98DK?_encoding=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

The Splintress has just looked in and cut the choice down to Carhartt, Simms or Dickies.
Decisions decisions.

S.

#25 ·
Description
An all-season version of our iconic shirt, the Filson Lightweight Alaskan Guide Shirt is made with a 5-oz. cotton that's pre-washed for a broken-in feel and vintage appearance. A pleated back and relaxed fit provide a full range of motion through the shoulders. This versatile shirt is built to last through years of wearing.
ITEM NO.
FABRIC
5-oz. pre-washed cotton
USAGE
Field, Workwear, Everyday
CARE
Machine wash
ORIGIN
Imported
Features
  • Made with midweight, breathable

#28 ·
Dickies are really hard wearing work shirts and pants but from memory they needed to be washed a few times or thrown into a dryer with an old tennis shoe to break the fabric a bit otherwise the material could be a bit stiff.

Reactions: 3lbgrayling
#33 ·
My main criterion is a button-down breast pocket on each side, so I can I put my phone in one and my wallet in the other and not be all lopsided! ?

My lightweight summer shirt is an Army Navy stores one I bought at least 20 years ago. Still in good condition.

My heavier cotton twill one came from Primark of all places. You'd never know it wasn't a specific countrywear type garment. Had it a few years now - very sturdy and robust. The make is Farrell. This is not identical, but it is quite similar...

Col

#34 ·
Hi,

Allen Fly Fishing, a forum sponsor, have most of their clothing for sale at a silly price. I´ve got a few of their shirts, jackets and long johns and I can highly recommend them ( I bought most of them when they were much more expensive). Limited sizes in some of their stuff, though. The Primaloft jackets are particularly good, same filling as Simms and are very light and robust.

Cheers,

Damian F

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.