Fishing the Monnow

Cranefly

For those that might be thinking of resting those aching bidding muscles and going fishing then the whole of the Monnow catchment is in perfect order. Today's (Friday) rains have made no difference and with no appreciable rain forcast for the rest of the weekend they should be ideal conditions.

My experience and the word from others is that there are some good grayling about this year.

Cranefly

Here it is!

I thought somebody had better dust this one down and haul it back to the top of the great auction lots.

The Honddu and main Monnow webcams show the river holding unfishably high and likely to be so for Saturday and probably most of Sunday I am guessing that the Dore will be too high and coloured so unless you have access to the Monnow above the Dore confluence I doubt that it will be worth doing much fishing on our hallowed waters, this weekend.

If anybody else has actually seen the river in the last day or so then please chip in.

There should be a good few salmon in the system by now and this water will suit them well. As previous years have shown, given high water they can get to most areas of the catchment. There will also be plenty of trout heading up river too, where they will find some lovely, newly jetted gravels.

sewinbasher

I thought somebody had better dust this one down and haul it back to the top of the great auction lots.

The Honddu and main Monnow webcams show the river holding unfishably high and likely to be so for Saturday and probably most of Sunday I am guessing that the Dore will be too high and coloured so unless you have access to the Monnow above the Dore confluence I doubt that it will be worth doing much fishing on our hallowed waters, this weekend.

If anybody else has actually seen the river in the last day or so then please chip in.

There should be a good few salmon in the system by now and this water will suit them well. As previous years have shown, given high water they can get to most areas of the catchment. There will also be plenty of trout heading up river too, where they will find some lovely, newly jetted gravels.

Sadly, according to Mr P only two fish have been counted through the pass which I find unbelievably low figure given the time and conditions..

Cranefly

That was before this last rise in water and was on the back of a small, short flood, not that this is a praticuarly big rise either. The Monnow Valley has probably had one of the driest nine months in its history.

sewinbasher

That was before this last rise in water and was on the back of a small, short flood, not that this is a praticuarly big rise either. The Monnow Valley has probably had one of the driest nine months in its history.

I was out deerstalking in the Monnow valley yesterday, the fields and woods were sodden (made stalking easier) and there seemed to be enough water in the river to encourage salmon to run - if there are any there!

tigermoth

I managed a few hours today above the Dore confluence. The water was pushing through a bit but clarity was good and the water was eminently fishable. If it drops another few inches she should be perfect in the middle river tomorrow.

Today wasn't the easiest fishing in that the fish were not easy to find. A lot of switching around, with heavy pink 4rsed gold heads proving the best bet. I managed half a dozen grayling and a couple of OSBs... Most of the fish were in the half to three quarter pound range. except for this absolute lump:

5192067531_f5d8f0995f_b.jpg

Good to see the big fish showing. The pic doesn't really do this chap justice. I couldn't get my hand around his girth and he fought like a bull.

fleaflicker

Nice feeshy Dave... Are you still fishing those pearly pinkies you had that other fat lump of a grayling on way back some seasons ago when we fished a spot on the monnow?

Im looking at stepping out on the little D sometime soon... Just finished building a Leonard catskill 7fter 2wt so i was hoping for a mild day on the midge.. Looking at the weather forescast that isnt on the cards , with the snow scattering forecast we could at least hope that we may have a settled and clear stream though?? Maybe Ill just stay by the planing bench:p

Best
Matt

nick s

Lovely fish Dave, haven't fished the Dore yet but I'm hoping to at some point. What would you guess the size of that Grayling to be?

Interesting rod by the way, do you mind me asking what model/make it is? The cork seems to taper the opposite way to most rods!

TonyR

Interesting rod by the way, do you mind me asking what model/make it is? The cork seems to taper the opposite way to most rods!
Looks like his Thomas & Thomas LPS. Custom handle, though, Dave?

Cracking grayling, by the way.

BENDINO

Hi all - I was after a bit of advice if you didn't mind? I've never fished the Monnow before and I was hoping to get on a day ticket stretch hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Can anyone reccommend a good beat with good numbers of grayling? and do you know how much a day ticket will be? So far i've been told to have a crack at Skenfrith but i've heard it gets a hammering.

Many thanks

Rob

Cranefly

Skenfrith does not get hammered! The beat is available on the WUF day ticket 3 or 4 days a week, hence why it always appears booked up on the web site. The rest of the time it is reserved by the owners, who hardly fish it. As a result it is probably one of the least fished beats. As for a beat with lots of grayling, then it has some, may be lots; I, unhelpfully, do not know but I see no reason why it should not hold plenty of good grayling. If it does not the Bell at Skenfith is great. I do know that the Dore has plenty of grayling in it but it is a stream, not a river!

Have look back through this thread, for more details.

Rob

royvs

.....So far i've been told to have a crack at Skenfrith but i've heard it gets a hammering.....

Rob

I'm not a regular on the Monnow System but I have fished Skenfrith.

Depending on your age and fitness, I would counsel caution. I found it difficult to access the river and once in, you really need to stay in. Also I found the Grayling quite hard to find, an experience shared by at least two other people who have fished it. That may have been me, of course.

A lot of people say the Lugg at Lyepole is hammered but I did well there, access is quite easy and it's very pretty.

tigermoth

thanks for the kind comments re the grayling gents...

Lovely fish Dave, haven't fished the Dore yet but I'm hoping to at some point. What would you guess the size of that Grayling to be?

I measured the grayling at just under 19". It was a real lump across the beam too. My estimate would be a comfortable 2.5lbs, but to me... a big fish is a big fish is a big fish... they are all a bit special, regardless of lbs and oz.

As others have suggested, it is a custom build T&T, but not Rene's work - she built my 6ft 6. I picked this one up on ebay for a right song. The build is by a guy called Bob Meisner I think... and the handle is a bit wierd... not sure I am not going to get Rene to sort it out for me! It casts a lovely line though.

garethl

Pro Member
Morning all! Just wanted to wish the Monnow Mafia a very merry Christmas and a fantastic New Year!

A huge well done for all your hard work and efforts this year, and especially for the ongoing conservation work, etc. It's going to be hard to beat that next year ;)

Merry Christmas all!

Gareth