Fishing the valley de Lot

corto maltese

Off on me hols tomorrow, first chance at wetting a line this year, god I'm excited !
The valley of the Lot, never been before so any advice is more than welcome. I'll not be fishing the Lot though, the Causse is closer to our accomodation.
It's a big River the Causse and I'm a small stream fisherman so I'm going to hit the tributeries. The Alzou, Ardailloux and the Tournefeuille. Apparently they are short, small and mostly underground ! Sounds interesting, I hope they are too short to interest kayakers 🙄.
Wish me luck boys and I'll let you all know how I get on 😉
I keep editing and adding to this coz I'm so excited 😆
I'll be fishing boo n silk, can't make it to easy and you have to build in excuses eh ! And also, if your gonna fail, fail classically 😉
The rods are loaded, the fly tying gear is loaded, I'm ready for the off but I mustn't forget the dog and the wife in the morning 😂

Last edited:

corto maltese

I'm back and very disappointed, I did have fun all the same but it wasn't what I was expecting. The tribs were very low, normal for this time of year I guess, I'm used to that but really muddy ?, I don't understand, low water, crystal clear and hard to fish, ok, im used to that but low water and muddy, I don't get it.
I spoke to a nice lady who sold the fishing permits at the tobacconist who told me the main river has loads of fish, they stock it, I made a face and she opened up. She pointed me in the direction of two small streams that the locals fish, wild fish, picturesque too boot. Third cast and I lifted into a fish, my beautiful boo rod snapped, I still don't understand why, gutted. Lost the fish as well but I was beyond caring to be honest. Had a little moment alone, regrouped and took out the other boo rod which was a bit to big for the stream. A lovely bit of water but very discoulored, I pulled out one wild fario, a recompense I suppose.
The next two days, not even a touch, I was fishing the duo, keeping my options open. After that, family obligations and no more sneaking off to fish.
All in all, gutted to be honest.
I now have to fix my favourite rod, fingers crossed 🤞
Looking forward to fishing the gorge de Verdun with Tomy Mair in the next week or so, luckily the surviving rod is perfect for that, you gotta have an eye on that silver lining eh ? 😁

Vermontdrifter

Was just in the gorge but did not fish, however, the water levels look good! Was hitting in the mid 30’s during the day but down to the mid-teens at night so early morning and dusk should be productive. Enjoy and let us know how it goes as I’m heading back in September!

corto maltese

How was the kayak situation whilst you were there mate ?
Last time I was there it made casting a line all but impossible unfortunately.
Give me a shout in September if you like, maybe we could hook up if you want.

Vermontdrifter

Hate to break the news but the kayaks are all over the place and as most are day rentals to tourist they have no clue as to control or common courtesy on the waters! If I can convince the wife to let me bring a rod I’ll give you a holler and we can meet up!
Terry