Fishing Trip

prof1974

I have a week off soon (05/08) and am planning on doing some river fishing for trout and Grayling away from where i would normally fish (ripon/catterick).

Where would you advise me to go and try? I plan to travel so please feel free to mention anywhere.

Cheers Chris

Scratch

Banned
Banned
Great!....you can be my scout! ....been trying to get up to the river Dee at Monymusk near Aberdeen for a while now but not got round to it yet...big fat brownies that throw themselves at yer flies in an indiscriminate fashion,apparently. Nip and have a peep for me Prof and report back a.s.a.p. :D

royvs

Chris,

If you mean "travel" as against drive...for a week Slovenia takes some beating. Fly from Stanstead Easijet for about fifty quid.

Loads of info here but I would either ring or email Fauna for an update on conditions at that time of year. I've had tremendous fishing in September but don't know about October.

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3211

Lovely country and the Sava is only about an hour from Lubliana.

BlueOne

Just to add some info to roys post.

Brown trout season ends with 1st of October in Slovenia. Some waters close at this date. But this is specific depending on water and fishing club. As Roy said, it is best to check.

However some waters remain open. Now it is "happy time" for big grayllings. You can also have some very good rainbow fishing. In many waters in Slovenia, rainbows reproduce so you can have a very fine fishing for those. Of course wild rainbow is a diffrent beast from the stocked one. Much more selective and the strenght of wild one is a totally diffrent game from a stocked one.

Sava is much closer to Ljubljana, practically flows by it but i don't think you can get daily tickets for the part managed by fishing club Straza-Sava (i would have to check that).

When you touch down on airport you are actually 5 min away from Sava and Kokra managed by fishing club Kranj, and a few minutes more from part managed by f. club Trzic. Kokra shall close on 1st of october (splendid wild graylling and trout water, if someone shows you where) , but Sava shall remain open for graylling and rainbow fishing. Loads of nose carps and chub as well. But as said, the vast majority of fish is wild and very selective and there isn't a small number of frustrated fisherman who failed here. But the rewards are nice. Hooking into nice wild rainbow will show you the color of your backing. Most probably several times. Just had a good fun with those yesterday :)

Part managed by Trzic shall also be open and has fine graylling and rainbow fishing. Etc.

Pics for sava under Destination fly fishing

BlueOne

Last edited:

sedgeking

Trip

Hi prof1974:D
Think a change of target is required for said 'road trip' as you will probably find that BROWN Trout go out of season in most places (plus or minus a few days) on the first of October.
For example i close my river 31st October untill the 25th March for Brown Trout fishing but allowing Grayling fishing untill 1st Jan-which I am sure most others do.
At this time of year BT start their 'migration', just like their cousins Salmon, but in a more localised manner.-Hope this gives you a little insight into 'WHY'
Ps Did you get to Bolton Abbey/Settle?

Cranefly

Derbys Wye open for trout to 7th Oct and the southern streams e.g Dorset Frome are open for a week longer, I think. The Don will be closed for trout by then but Salmon season goes on later.

prof1974

Balls!! I thought that trout fishing went on to the 31st of October. Oh well I'll just have to concentrate on the Grayling fishing then. I've been looking forward to that anyway. I caught a few earlier in the year and i hear that at this time of year they only get better.

Bolton Abbey was OK, it was nice to see the river and area around it, the "Game Fair" as was pointed out was just a shop. I picked up some waders fairly cheap so no complaints really.

So does anybody have any ideas where i should go Grayling fishing then? Also, what flies/colours/sizes and tactics work for Grayling?

Cheers Chris.

sedgeking

Grayling fishing trip

Hire a guide : taken from 'Bloody Good Day' on this forum
[The Sedge man himself took me along a series of pools on this really narrow river near Halifax, put up with my constant irritating questions, gave sound advice freely with spot on humour and pointed me in all the right directions. In a session lasting approximately 6 hours I learnt more about fly-fishing than I'd picked up in the last 3 years.

As a result I managed to land 6 brown trout on the dry fly - a blueish sort of thing with upturned wings. I'm used to catching fish (mainly carp) between 9 and 20lbs and although these trout were nowhere near that weight (the biggest being at best 1.5lbs) I have to say it was the best days fishing I've ever had.

][/QUOTE]
Or:taken from 'Small streams weekend with JT'
[Just returned from the “Small Streams” weekend organised by John Tyzack and Gina La Faux.

I had a superb time as, I believe, did the other attendees. John and Gina were patience personified in teaching me, at least, a completely new technique…short lining and searching pocket water for wild Brown Trout.

Saturday was spent learning the basics and then Sunday we went fishing for them. I just would not have believed the number of Trout lurking in water that I would have walked straight past without John pointing out the potential.
][/QUOTE]
Note to moderator-Not advertising but suggesting idea:cool:
OR
Go it alone but visithttp://www.graylinghunter.co.uk/ for advice on tequnique,flies etc etc;)

Have a good trip-Tight lines

guest21

Ditto

I originally posted the first quote above and would like to reiterate the quality of the fishing in that river and the guidance received. The beer was competitively priced as well. :D

168bill

I had a great day earlier in the year at Driffield Beck http://www.mulberry-whin.com/, where I saw some huge Grayling and my mate took one of 2.5lb on a dry, so I promised myself a return trip at the back end of the year.

Sadly I haven't yet realised my promise :(

Not sure if they do any grayling tickets after September, but I would give them a call and find out, beautiful fishery.

Cheers,
--
Bill.

prof1974

They do Grayling fishing from the 1st of October, Sweet!! I'm going to have a bash at that i think.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:

DAS

Grayling

Prof,
for grayling fishing I can recommend the Welsh Dee. The Bala Angling stretch near Llanderfel has fantastic grayling fishing, I've had them to well over 2lb and they can be taken on both drys and nymphs. In one 2 hour session last September I had about a dozen grayling, all on dries and nothing under 1.5 lb. Day tickets can be obtained from Bala post office and it costs about £7 a day.

Alternatively, you could look at the Dee at Llangollen, tickets available from Watkins in the town. I fished it recently and had a good day taking both trout and a few grayling.

Both the Bala and Llangollen stretches can be found on the internet.

Daran

kreid

shome mishtake surely Scratch...? The river Don at Monymusk sounds more like it!

the Tweed/Leader etc would also be nearer than aberdeenshire.

168bill

prof1974 said:
They do Grayling fishing from the 1st of October, Sweet!! I'm going to have a bash at that i think.

Cheers Chris
Great news, I might well try and sort myself out for a day too then.....

Some of the Grayling I spotted on my previous trip must have been 3lb, but I would advise you to have some heavy grayling nymphs with you, as they were quite deep and in some sections there was a strong flow.

Water was gin clear though in most sections :)

Enjoy,
--
Bill.