Fishing with ultra light fly rods.

Oldbones

Is there a section of the forums that deals with using fly rods 3 weight and lower, and do you guys use them.

william henry

You want to see these :
and

william henry

I have a full armoury of ultralights ranging in the #1-3 weights in bamboo , graphite and fiberglass . The bamboo rods are made by myself , my fiberglass are made by me on Kabuto blanks and my graphite’s are all Orvis from their Superfine and Troutbum series .

Oldbones

I have had a 2 weight for a few years now and I have used it quite a bit, the more I use it the better it is.
The last week I have used it and done great with it. I am beginning to think that having heavy rods is not really required a lot of the time.

Oldbones

I only have one 2 weight and all the other rods are above 3 weight.
And I just love using it, caught some nice trout in some tight spots, just wondering how every one else manages with their light rods.

GEK79

I only have one 2 weight and all the other rods are above 3 weight.
And I just love using it, caught some nice trout in some tight spots, just wondering how every one else manages with their light rods.
Hoping to sound. Not too simple is it the same as a 7wt casting wise how. Light are your leaders and tippet.. Please

Oldbones

Hoping to sound. Not too simple is it the same as a 7wt casting wise how. Light are your leaders and tippet.. Please
My rod is 6' and a 2 weight, is so small and light, its like night and day compared to a 7 weight, which has been over a year might be two since I used mine.
Tippet less that 3 lbs but over 2lbs. Handles 10'' trout no trouble at all. I have had some bigger fish on it see the first pic, took a bit of actual angling to get that fish in the net. Caught that on a tiny beck a long time ago
My trout on the nidd..jpg

IMG_1835 (2).JPG

Last edited:

PaulD

On small streams, often with tiny pools or 'pocket' water, casting is often challenged by overhanging trees etc. Casts are usually very short, at times no more line out than the length of the rod. As a consequence, leaders are short, 7' 6" or maybe less, and steeply tapered to achieve turnover and accuracy.
Quite often the flies used are small, especially as the summer progresses, you could be using sizes 18, 20, 22 or smaller. The key to presenting flies of this size is matching them with the correct diameter tippet . . . and this is where the often abused X system comes into play. The X system is about diameter, and that is what we need to be most concerned about. What size fly are you using . . . 18 . . . divided by 3 . . . use a 6X tippet. 20 or 22, divide by 3 . . . use a 7X tippet.

jerryrum

My preferred fishing is on streams and small rivers so I very rarely use anything over 3#.

I find the lighter rods enable me to detect bites more readily when I am fishing wet flies.

They can cast a decent distance on the rare occasion that I need to, up to 30ft accurately, and I can control Trout and Grayling up to 2.5lb without worrying about them heading for hidden roots. Unfortunately I never had chance to see what happens with heavier game fish.

The one downside of lighter rods and lines is that I struggle to cast well in a stiff breeze, but due to the locations I fish I can normally just change banks or walk round a bend in the river.

If you are worried about their strength, I once landed a 8lb canal Carp with a Maxcatch 1#. It bent over double, but it did the job.

GEK79

My rod is 6' and a 2 weight, is so small and light, its like night and day compared to a 7 weight, which has been over a year might be two since I used mine.
Tippet less that 3 lbs but over 2lbs. Handles 10'' no trouble at all. I have had some bigger fish on it see the first pic, took a bit of actual angling to get that fish in the net. Caught that on a tiny beck a long time ago
View attachment 27147

View attachment 27148
Fantastic fish well done.. Sounds like a fun rod

GEK79

My preferred fishing is on streams and small rivers so I very rarely use anything over 3#.

I find the lighter rods enable me to detect bites more readily when I am fishing wet flies.

They can cast a decent distance on the rare occasion that I need to, up to 30ft accurately, and I can control Trout and Grayling up to 2.5lb without worrying about them heading for hidden roots. Unfortunately I never had chance to see what happens with heavier game fish.

The one downside of lighter rods and lines is that I struggle to cast well in a stiff breeze, but due to the locations I fish I can normally just change banks or walk round a bend in the river.

If you are worried about their strength, I once landed a 8lb canal Carp with a Maxcatch 1#. It bent over double, but it did the job.
Fantastic.. Sounds like good fun and thanks for the feedback..

GEK79

On small streams, often with tiny pools or 'pocket' water, casting is often challenged by overhanging trees etc. Casts are usually very short, at times no more line out than the length of the rod. As a consequence, leaders are short, 7' 6" or maybe less, and steeply tapered to achieve turnover and accuracy.
Quite often the flies used are small, especially as the summer progresses, you could be using sizes 18, 20, 22 or smaller. The key to presenting flies of this size is matching them with the correct diameter tippet . . . and this is where the often abused X system comes into play. The X system is about diameter, and that is what we need to be most concerned about. What size fly are you using . . . 18 . . . divided by 3 . . . use a 6X tippet. 20 or 22, divide by 3 . . . use a 7X tippet.
I only carry a 6 or 7 x and I'm fishing 18 and 20s at the moment one thing my father drilled into me was the tippet rule.. Thank you

ejw

Some years ago I stopped fishing anything above a 5w and then dropped to only 3w or 4w. This was due initially to a shoulder injury, but I found it so much easier and less stress to my casting arm. I have a collection of rods ranging from a 6'6" to 11' in 3w to 4w. I do not cast huge distances, but can manage a full flyline if needed. I also do not have any issues with handling large fish. My largest from a float tube is a pike of 20lb (in less than 90 seconds). Many rainbows in the 3lb to 8lbs. The only proviso is that I except that I may break a rod at some point, only happened once in the last 20 years.

Oldbones

I own a 6' #2 river and stream,, 8' #4 hardy demon, 9'6'' #4 streamflex + and a few other rods, but I am sort of ok for light weights and I could not really justify getting and more rods. I have 5.,6 and 7 weights
I use the light weights all the time, I do use a #5 vintage rod that I love, for casting a dry fly its brilliant.
I have been looking online for ultra light rods, not a lot to pick from, and I cant afford hundreds, so that narrows it down a bit more.
I will stick with what I have and report on how I get on with it. I have used my #2 river and stream regularly since 2013.

Latest posts