Fishing with ultra light fly rods.

Jeltz

This is what I caught on Friday on a 2wt rod. You wouldn’t believe where he came from, less than 12 inches of crystal clear water, I could see a couple of small trout rising, there was a little clump of weed and he must’ve been hiding in that. A right little beauty, you don’t see fish of that calibre every day in this little stream. He was released unharmed very quickly.
D0CECD68-CE34-4887-AD8E-A3697AF7751E.jpeg

Onnylad

Banned
Banned
This is what I caught on Friday on a 2wt rod. You wouldn’t believe where he came from, less than 12 inches of crystal clear water, I could see a couple of small trout rising, there was a little clump of weed and he must’ve been hiding in that. A right little beauty, you don’t see fish of that calibre every day in this little stream. He was released unharmed very quickly.
View attachment 27173
Absolutely cr4p fish handling .... ffs .... keep fish in or above water!!

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
Matter of opinion Douglas, personally I've never had a problem with taking a photo while the fish was still in the water, and while I personally rarely feel the need I totally understand the desire. If you're going to kill a fish to eat, fine - I do it myself occasionally. If you're going to kill a fish for a photo then your just giving anti fishing people ammunition, no need to put a fish on dry grass.

Steve

eddleston123

Hi Steve,

To lay a relatively small trout on soft grass to take a quick photo will certainly not render that fish 'dead' when returned to the water.

Should someone be so sensitive, then perhaps they should think about the fact that a metal hook is powered into their mouths - they are then played, sometimes to the point of exhaustion before being landed.

As for the 'Antis' they couldn't care less about the finer points of hooking, playing and landing a fish - They just want it stopped at all costs, that is their blunt goal, irrespective of the fact that if there was no anglers to monitor and police waters, then there would very quickly be NO fish to argue about!

Now, if we were to accept your 'bad handling' scenario then I suppose we would move on to not photographing fish at all. Should we accept that then we would probably move on to not fishing with a hook, just deriving pleasure from the rise or the take.

Make no mistake, fishing is a form of hunting which gratifies the human instinct. Should we start to concern ourselves with the finer nuances of our sport, then I think that person should consider whether or not they should be fishing at all.

If I was a fish, I would prefer to be hooked and subjected to some distress and then released, as opposed to being knocked on the head.

A.T.B.

Douglas

PaulD

It is unlikely that lying the fish on grass will have resulted in its death, it is however, not good fish handling practice. Whenever possible, removal from the water and handling should be kept to a minimum - consider the temperature difference between the water and the warm dry grass and the fact that the fish is a cold blooded creature. Best practice is that the fish should be unhooked in the net and that if a picture is wanted then that too should be taken when the fish is still in the net and in water.

iainmortimer

I own a 6' #2 river and stream,, 8' #4 hardy demon, 9'6'' #4 streamflex + and a few other rods, but I am sort of ok for light weights and I could not really justify getting and more rods. I have 5.,6 and 7 weights
I use the light weights all the time, I do use a #5 vintage rod that I love, for casting a dry fly its brilliant.
I have been looking online for ultra light rods, not a lot to pick from, and I cant afford hundreds, so that narrows it down a bit more.
I will stick with what I have and report on how I get on with it. I have used my #2 river and stream regularly since 2013.
Have a look at Wychwood rods. Pretty inexpensive but nice to use. I’ve an 8’ #3 truefly which I really like. Even cheaper I have a little Fladen #3 7’ for small streams that cost me less than £30 new! It’s no Sage but easily gets the job done without issue.

For trout, I haven’t fished heavier than a #5 for years.

Jeltz

It is unlikely that lying the fish on grass will have resulted in its death, it is however, not good fish handling practice. Whenever possible, removal from the water and handling should be kept to a minimum - consider the temperature difference between the water and the warm dry grass and the fact that the fish is a cold blooded creature. Best practice is that the fish should be unhooked in the net and that if a picture is wanted then that too should be taken when the fish is still in the net and in water.
It was kept to the very minimum I can assure you, held in net while I got the camera ready, left camera on bank, took fish out of net, placed on bank, took 1 photo, chucked camera on bank, lifted fish straight back into water. The whole operation took about 30 seconds, fish on bank no more than 10 seconds, probably less.
I was thinking maybe I should carry a mat with me, like we use for coarse fish, I might cut one down for trout so I can carry it in my sling pack. (y)

morayfisher

Trust Member
It was kept to the very minimum I can assure you, held in net while I got the camera ready, left camera on bank, took fish out of net, placed on bank, took 1 photo, chucked camera on bank, lifted fish straight back into water. The whole operation took about 30 seconds, fish on bank no more than 10 seconds, probably less.
I was thinking maybe I should carry a mat with me, like we use for coarse fish, I might cut one down for trout so I can carry it in my sling pack. (y)
I got a babies nappy changing mat from a supermarket for about £2 a few years ago for that purpose.
Now I don’t take the fish out of the water though.

Jeltz

I got a babies nappy changing mat from a supermarket for about £2 a few years ago for that purpose.
Now I don’t take the fish out of the water though.
I don't normally take fish out either, if I can unhook them in the water, which is most of the time. How do you manage to unhook a fish that has taken the fly into its mouth?

morayfisher

Trust Member
I don't normally take fish out either, if I can unhook them in the water, which is most of the time. How do you manage to unhook a fish that has taken the fly into its mouth?
If the fly is sticking out of the mouth (maybe in the scissors) usually fingers suffice. Have the fish in the net in the water to contain it.
Hook inside the mouth, I always have forceps to hand.
Maybe easier because I only use barbless hooks.

PaulD

I keep a pair of artery forceps attached to my vest, support the fish by holding it in a fold of the wet net and it's usually pretty speedy to remove a barbless hook.

Secret Angler

Never seen the point to v light rods myself - a marketing thing I feel.
4wt is my lightest. Mind you, I don't fish very tiny streams with 6ft rods. If I did perhaps I might use them.

Latest posts