Fishing with ultra light fly rods.

ejw

Had complaints on a Monthly "Newsletter" and a website, re photographing fish, now I take the pictures when the fish is in the net. Failing this I use a headcam. The only pictures of fish on the bank I now publish are the ones for the pot. Just too many critics.
Quite difficult to "prove" to river club members at times that there are fish in the river and in a range of sizes without pictures ! Time stamp also helps when numbers are doubted !
Along with this thread "light" rods will land "good" fish, so pictures do help along with vids from the head cam.
Cannot please all but do try !

Oldbones

Never seen the point to v light rods myself - a marketing thing I feel.
4wt is my lightest. Mind you, I don't fish very tiny streams with 6ft rods. If I did perhaps I might use them.
Neither did I till I went to a small beck and really struggled with a rod of 8' #4 and just landed up not really enjoying myself. Then I bought the 6' #2, night and day, caught plenty of fish from then on.

Onnylad

Banned
Banned
The high and mighty and holier than thou brigade have descended!

Golf might be a better sport for some people.

Well done Jeltz.

Douglas
I’m not holy but anyone with half a brain wouldn’t put a fish out of water on hot dry grass this time of year... ffs

If you cannot understand that then golf may be better for you and the fish!

Last edited:

Onnylad

Banned
Banned
Matter of opinion Douglas, personally I've never had a problem with taking a photo while the fish was still in the water, and while I personally rarely feel the need I totally understand the desire. If you're going to kill a fish to eat, fine - I do it myself occasionally. If you're going to kill a fish for a photo then your just giving anti fishing people ammunition, no need to put a fish on dry grass.

Steve
Just common sense not to put a fish on dry grass in this heat ...

catzrob

Would also be interested in seeing other peoples UL adventures.

Also keen on UL camping (albeit underequipped due to cost). Keeping life minimalist and easy is a source of pleasure!

Data showing that fish placed on any surface, but especially a dry surface, are much more likely to die are not hard to come by. Mortality rates change from ~2% for well handled fly caught fish to 45-70%. Placing a fish on grass for a quick photo before releasing it is not just a minor problem to be scoffed at - it really does make a mockery of catch and release fishing and makes it very likely the fish will not survive.

stonepark

Never seen the point to v light rods myself - a marketing thing I feel.
4wt is my lightest. Mind you, I don't fish very tiny streams with 6ft rods. If I did perhaps I might use them.
I fish the Tay in its middle stretch with a 7ft 6in, 1 weight, no problems.

UL has a lot of advantages and not affected by the wind as much as some might expect.

With a 1 wt or other ultra light you fight the larger fish using the bottom half of the rod, holding the rod about 33 degrees above the water instead of the normal 45 degrees plus, plenty of power for normal trout.

I would recommend that if you get the opportunity to try a 1 wt you should take it as even my 9ft 3wt rod feels like a beast after having spent time on the 1wt.

dave b

3# is my preferred line weight for streams to medium sized rivers the exception being big rivers when nymphing where I still use a 3# but a much longer rod.

It's surprising how much pressure you can exert with a 3# even on weedy chalk streams like the Avon where an 8ft 6in 3# Loop Cross is my preferred rod. Occasionally I will reach for a 5# but only when needs must.

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
Just common sense not to put a fish on dry grass in this heat ...
Yes, Knotted mesh landing nets were banned years ago because of damage to fish, now we seem to think letting them flap around on rocks or dry grass while we take a photo is acceptable.

As for people opposed to our sport not being on the forum, do people really think that the ant field-sports lot don't monitor forums?

Steve

ohanzee

Is ultra light tackle not just for ultra light trout? I know you can land bigger etc. but I'm thinking just logically, some of the trout I see posted would be too light to feel with a 5 weight and if you can go lighter presentation can only improve.

PaulD

That's a bit like asking if big flies are for big trout and small flies are for small trout. In much of our fishing we are greatly 'over-tackled', it's only in relatively recent years that a 9ft, 5wt has begun to be accepted as a viable 'tool' for some aspects of still water fishing whereas previously, the 10ft, 7/8 was believed to be the allround go to rod - the sort of rod that would do well for spate stream salmon or specimen sea trout. My best brown trout was landed on a 9ft, 5wt (14lb) and,accidentally, I've landed a 7lb salmon on a 9ft rod rated 4 - 7.

When the conditions are appropriate, light weight rods / lines make for ideal presentation to any trout that swims in UK rivers, whether they're 8" or 3lb or more.

Last edited:

Oldbones

The trout above that I caught, was tucked right under a tree. I did see it just sip flies a couple of times as I made my way along the river.
I was maybe 20 feet or so away, I managed to flick my fly under the branches and it went towards the trout dead drift, and the trout took it.

kingf000

A few years ago I met a fellow member on the river Lark in Suffolk who proudly showed me photos of his 10lb trout he caught on his 7'6" 3wt rod!

Vermontdrifter

Is ultra light tackle not just for ultra light trout? I know you can land bigger etc. but I'm thinking just logically, some of the trout I see posted would be too light to feel with a 5 weight and if you can go lighter presentation can only improve.
Hi Alain;

The line weight has more to do with the size of the flies you are going to be casting than the size of the fish we are likely to find in fresh water in Europe. Good luck casting a pike fly or a three fly set up with weighted nymphs on a low weight rod as the line will collapse but If you play a fish then the tippet or hook are more likely to break than either the rod or the line. Conversely trying to cast a size 18 or 20 dry on a seven or eight weight is not going to be pretty or accurate as the lay down is going to be pretty violent with the average caster.

Terry

ejw

Ahh
Beg to differ, but I use 3 or 4wt rods and have no difficulty with small lures and large fish.a pike.jpg

This was 20lb and was targeting the resident Rainbows. It took less than 4 minutes to land on my 10' 4wt Streamflex with 8lb fluro. I regularly catch trout up to 8lb in this lake on a 3 or 4wt rod, without taking too long.

Jeltz

Not only presentation can improve, you catch rate will improve. The tackle may be "ultra light" but it is more than capable of landing a double. And you are correct in saying you can feel the fight on a light rod, that is the whole point of using light gear for small trout, it is the same as catching large trout on heavy gear.

Jeltz

Ahh
Beg to differ, but I use 3 or 4wt rods and have no difficulty with small lures and large fish.View attachment 27285

This was 20lb and was targeting the resident Rainbows. It took less than 4 minutes to land on my 10' 4wt Streamflex with 8lb fluro. I regularly catch trout up to 8lb in this lake on a 3 or 4wt rod, without taking too long.
I am saying nothing but I am more than certain the fish was fine. ;)